I got to play a 1960 strat today.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by twangplank, Dec 23, 2011.

1. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

The title says it all. My buddy has a guitar shop and gets a lot of vintage amps and SOMETIMES he gets some cool vintage guitars.

ForumRunner_20111223_212649.jpg

ForumRunner_20111223_212630.jpg

He calls and says I've gotta get down to see his newest guitar purchase.

I'm like the guy that played a 53 tele recently. My life remains unchanged. I would love to say it was a magical moment but it simply wasn't.

It was all original but an old refin. It was also a custom color. Looked like Dakota red. The problem with that is I'd rather have a 5 way switch and this one had the 3 way and it wouldn't be wise to change that.

The moral of the story:
    As much as I'd like to have a perfectly original vintage fender, I'd much rather have a reissue or a player grade vintage guitar. The guitar sounded great but I've had reissues that sounded better and played better too.

2. twangplank

The full pic didn't upload. Here it is.

ForumRunner_20111223_230126.jpg

3. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

I love the dark old rosewood fretboards , almost look like ebony.

4. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Cool that you had that opportunity, even if it was not the "wow" experience you had hoped.

What is the pricetag on that one?

5. twangplank

$12,000 because he thinks its a very old refin. It was a very nice guitar and very light. I just get how someone would rather use a good reissue as opposed to an original vintage. As a history nut it was cool playing something with the history of an old original.

6. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Authentic vintage instruments are great, but I think most of us are better off getting a guitar we love set up the way we want it and play it until it's a vintage...

7. twangplank

However I would rather pay 12 k than pay some of the insane prices there asking for some custom shops.

8. twangplank

I've seen cs guitars go for $10,000.

That's pretty crazy too I guess lol

9. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

Back in the day...yada..yada...

You can put that 3-way switch between the 3 positions, manually....you just have to balance it in just the right spot and you will get the "in between sounds"...that's how we did it back in the day...I guess that's how they figured out why to have a 5 way switch in the first place. A lot of the vintage guitars were just ,"OK", 9 out of 10 sounded pretty much the same, as far as I can remember. A lot of it can be put up to differences in pick-up height, and how great the amp was that you were trying them out with. Great fun to play the old ones, at any rate. I wished we could go back to the days of just buying "used guitars" instead of "vintage"....a lot cheaper for musicians. lol Thanks for posting the pics, always great to see them.....!!:D

10. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I love to see old things like that, but I am also in the pot of players that it's just not for me. Even if I had tons of money I doubt seriously I'd have vintage anything. I want something to play, and not worry too much about.

Thanks for sharing though, interesting photos.

11. twangplank

If I was rich I'd have a house full of em Lol. I just can't afford em and have got to have something I can use. For the sake of full disclosure I am in the middle of buying a 69 tele but its a player. Someone refinished it and changed the pickups and it needs some work. I like projects though

12. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

Twangplank
    Whats the name of your buddies store? Does he have a website? Looks like he has some cool gear , i'd like to check it out.

13. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

I played a '61 once, after it had been gone through by my buddy (luthier) with a refret, and cleaning out electronics, otherwise original... plugged into a '61-62 brown deluxe, the combo was magical, what a phenomenal guitar!!! It was beat to death ala SRV, but completely natural (this was in '88) I could have bought the guitar for $1,000, but alas, no cash... this guitar was one of THOSE guitars that made the vintage guitar craze a reality, it really was that good...

$12K for a refin strat is not too bad, I'll call them on Monday, after I win the lottery... :D :lol:

Franc Robert

14. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

+1

I've owned several vintage instruments - 60's Gibsons, 50's Teles, 30's Martins - and in the end I unloaded all of them, sticking with newer stuff that works and isn't artificially "precious". I just wanna play them, fix them and make them work for the music I want to do, period.

15. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

I used to have a refin 61 Stratocaster. It was sea foam green. I sure do miss that guitar. What a huge mistake I made in getting rid of it.

16. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Some of those old guitars really are something special. Sadly, many younger people haven't had the opportunity to play a truly great vintage instrument, and the great ones really are...great. I for one have never played a bass as good as some of the early and mid-'60s Precision and Jazz Basses I've played.

17. bterry

bterry Tele-Meister

I've never understood this argument. Why can't you set up a vintage guitar the way you want to?

Every Fender/Gibson CS or Masterbuilt guitar I've owned has needed a serious setup or a shim, and sometimes even fretwork, even when brand new. No different than a vintage guitar might need.

With Strats, you just have to get used to putting the 3-way switch in the 2 and 4 positions - takes about a day or two of playing, it's not hard.

That said, a '60 refin strat priced at $12k is way high, unless it's a factory refin.

18. twangplank

I could get the in between tones with the three way but it was a pain.

Now to totally contradict myself I did play a 50 broadcaster and a 52 tele that made me want to knock off a liquor store or ten to get money to buy em. The 52 was the best of the two but I was playing it through a great 52 deluxe that could make any guitar sound good. Maybe that old strat just didn't move me. I have a parts strat I built that I like the tone n action better. Sometimes guitars just don't hit me right.

19. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I went on a mad hunt for a vintage Strat about 10 years ago. I played a few hundred, all over the country. Not impressed. There were two that were exemplary. All the rest were firewood. I'd just as soon buy a new Suhr od Custom Shop Strat, save thousands and not have to worry about the dang thing.

20. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

When I was very, very poor I had the chance to buy a refinished '66 Strat for $1800 but couldn't afford it. Galls me to this day that I didn't have the scratch. It is/was the single best electric guitar I've ever played. And I'm not a Strat guy. I've played wonderful 50s Teles and Les Pauls, but that Strat was the shiznit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.