1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I got the Hamel Broadcaster set today !!!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Danocaster, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Danocaster

Danocaster Tele-Holic

OMG !!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I got the Hamel Broadcasters today and stuck them in my #1 !!!

UN- FREAKIN - BELIEVABLE !!!!

Up till now ( and 1/2 hour before the Hamels were wired up ) the ones to beat were a REALLY good sounding Antiquity II w/ a lollar neck p/up. Before I removed them, I was telling myself that it was pretty PERFECT AS-IS - so I made note of heights, etc..then removed them

I installed the Hamels and set the height just by eye ( knowing that the Alnico 3 can get pretty close to the strings and still sound nice ). I plugged it into my '66 Vibrolux Reverb and was simply awestruck. Simply Incredible.

The new Broadcaster is modelled after several real ones they borrowed from Nacho in Spain and supposed Alan Hamel "learned a few secrets" ( according to Ron Ellis ). Well, I was sceptical because I'm not a blackguard guy as much as a mid 60s stagger pole lover.. It doesnt matter anymore - these Hamels have DEMOLISHED everything I've heard prior to this afternoon.

The bridge is HUGE and ballsy but w/ alot of really great top end. Cuts extremely well w/ zero icepick. Its sorta aggressive compared to some other vintage winds but sounds much better than the overwound pickups from the most well known winders out there.

The neck pickup is very TELE but w/ out ANY mud !! It doesnt sound like a strat p/up but its probably a little step in that direction - yet still very tele. Very little compression in either pickup - these p/ups are very dynamic and very sensitive to touch !! JUST INCREDIBLE !!

The middle position is the best I've ever had in a tele. Because of the hotter bridge, it favors the rear p/up a little but is very jangly - yet full - w/ the bass strings sounding like a giant electric HARP or something

I gotta go play again !!!! I'm in LOVE !!

2. sidneystreet

sidneystreet Tele-Afflicted

Nice review. Glad to hear you like them. It seems most everyone does.

How long did you have to wait? If I could buy them immediately I would try them for sure, I just am not big on ordering things long term. Plus, I am pretty darn happy with the Lollars and Fralins I have. One of these days though, I will take the plunge and get some Hamels, and some Stuarts.

3. ub

ub TDPRI Member

Tell us about that antII pickup i´m thinkin about buying one. Want sixties twang.

4. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Hamel Broadcaster

I emailed Ron about the new Hamel Broadcaster set, heres some of what he wrote back:

Yes, the Hamel Broadcaster pickup is now available. Alan and I
    worked on the project with Nacho regarding his 'The Blackguard Book',
    Nacho sent us a number of sets of pickups out of his early Esquire's,
    Broadcaster's, Nocaster's and Tele's. Alan and I took them apart and
    analyzed every fine detail of how they were made and how they
    differed from one to the other. After we completed the disassembly
    and documentation, I took the bobbin/magnet assemblies in to work and
    ran a materials analysis on them. I have access to materials
    spectrometers, so using an Electron Microscope and a Ion Beam
    Spectrometer, I was able to look into Leo's history? These
    instruments are absolute and 'don't lie', so the results finally put
    to rest the speculation of what old Leo used in the early days at
    Fender. Nacho has the results posted in his book... pretty cool!!

Not that this hasn't probably been done before to some degree, but imagine getting a few sets of the earliest REAL DEAL Broadcaster, Esquire, Nocaster and Tele pickups and being able to examine them in detail like that? Very cool! Makes me want my Blackguard book even more...you can't get much more nitty gritty than an electron microscope :eek: Sounds like CSI Fender :lol:

My understanding is that a few sets of these were recently sent out for evaluation to some of the top pros already using Hamel regular sets. I suspect we'll be hearing more about them soon here from those guys. With a bridge reading at about 9.0k, my only reservation would be how they'd sound for country/country rock, as I've taken a liking to lower output tele pups lately.

5. tellypicker

tellypicker Tele-Meister

Hamel Broadcaster Pups

I too am a fan of the "underwound" pup for the style of Tele I love...country, rockabilly, jazz, swing, rootsy stuff. I was taken aback when I saw a reading of 9+k on my meter before I stuck the Broadcaster Bridge in my trusty old 82-52RI last Friday. I gigged three gigs with it Fri Sat and the big test came Sunday which is my big gig of the week. I work a jam every Sunday that goes on for about 7 or 8 hours, and while I played most of it backing singers, there were a few other guitar players that came up and played my rig and I got to hear it from the audience. The pickup just smokes. It is not at all what I would expect from a 9k pup. It has all the presence, it has a great top end that is not harsh, the mids and low end kill. I love it. It does have maybe a tad more high end than the standard Hamel bridge, but that could vary guitar to guitar. Or it could be because the Broadcaster has such a nice midrange presence. My only other tele is my old one and that is a pretty dried out piece of ash and different saddles etc. and I have the standard set in there. What Ron told me was he thought the Broadcaster would work a bit better if you have a darker sounding Tele. That is my 52 RI, it's heavier than my old one, has that poly coat, so I stuck the Broadcaster in that one and it is a great match. All of a sudden that guitar jumped alive, very responsive, better volume knob action, just great tone. Clean but will break up slightly if pushed harder. It's like a sports car. Handles great, very responsive. I'm impressed. And happy.

edit. Also, the Broadcaster has a real nice midrange presence that works great with my main amp that only has volume, treble, and bass knobs-an old Fender Pro Reverb. Have the bass on 5 and treble on 6 and it's perfect. Full sound ready to do everything from clean chicken picken' to smoky blues to swamp funk. The Tall neck works great with it, the middle position sounds like an old Gretsch or something and the Hamel Tall in the neck is so clean and clear and articulate and full, great jazz tones. Also, upon further review, I think the Standard may have a bit more high end than the Broadscaster, after factoring in the differences in the strings I'm using on the two guitars. The Standard bridge has less mids to my ears as well, which would infer a higher end to my ears. Maybe the main tonal difference between the Broadcaster and Standard bridge is the bit more mids the Broadcaster has. It's still early in my testing stage, only had the pickups since last Friday and am starting to fall asleep because I can't put the guitars down, they sound so good...

6. petebradt

petebradt Former Member

Great pickups aren't they?

Hamels are the Schnitzen. The REAL deal.

7. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Re: Hamel Broadcaster Pups

What would you class as a darker sounding Tele? :? I've got the stock Hamel bridge and Tall neck pick up, and after playing around with pick ups heights, I really do regard them as fine pick ups. Compared to the excellent Fralin "Broadcaster" model, they sound more refined and smoother.

I'd be interested in your further thoughts about the notion of them in a "darker Tele".

:D Peter

8. tellypicker

tellypicker Tele-Meister

My opinion, and we all know what that is worth, of the definition of a "dark sounding" tele is one that is not too bright or sparkling sounding. Being as how each guitar is unique and no two are exactly alike, some teles for whatever reason are less bright sounding than others. Perhaps it's the wood, or the finish or any number of factors. What I do hear at this point as the main difference between the Hamel standard and the Hamel broadcaster bridge is the standard has a little less midrange than the broadcaster. Perhaps the tad bit more mids in the Broadcaster help to define the tone in a less bright sounding guitar....don't really know, I just know it when I hear it. I've been through a whole bunch of Teles in the past many many years and they all have many similarities as well as some differences. Some were mellower, some were brighter, some were shrill, some were dull, some were just perfect. Lots of factors involved in a Tele's tone-wood, magnets, wire, finish, strings. And then there is the human ear, on a guitar player, no less, who most of the time tend to do more hearing with their eyes than their ears anyway.

9. PeterUK

Thanks. That helps.

10. moonshiner

moonshiner Friend of Leo's

Not meaning to start a war... and I should know better than to ask but...

Does this mean Alan is turning out pickups faster now then the 4-6 months wait time? Or whatever the "average" was for him based on the complaints that swirled around the TDPRI fishbowl...

Am I to assume that these new pickups are the same price as his others? 250 a set?

11. PeterUK

I had all those questions on my tick sheet but decided not to ask them. 8) Wanted to restrict my conversation to the pick ups themselves.

You see, I can behave myself! :lol:

12. GuitarJonz

I'd ask Ron Ellis ([email protected]) for an estimate of the current delivery interval, I believe they are still working off a list, and once on the list, they will call you a couple of weeks before expected delivery to get payment from you. Alan lost his wife a few months back, and that slowed down things again. I believe that he has ramped up production again, but remember, he is a very small operation, and if demand is very high, well, you can guess what happens to delivery intervals. At least now they don't take your money and keep you waiting months: now you go on the list, and when your time comes, you can either pay then, or pass on them if your requirements have changed in the interim.

You can also keep an eye on eBay, or just install an automatic search on "Hamel pickup" and "Hamel pickups", and ebay will notify you when something pops up for sale there. (hint...hint...you may want to search there now)

13. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

fwiw

I spoke with Ron Ellis on the phone two nights ago, and he said that they've been able to ramp up production and at the same time completely clear off the waiting list (for now) I have a feeling that a list may start again if these new pickups are as hot as I think that they will be...(I should be getting a set soon and i can hardly wait!!!!!!) But through any waiting time remember ....Alan winds every wire on every pickup, not anyone else, and I will wait if need be (and I have in the past) for the perfection of his work....

Bill Hullett

14. moonshiner

moonshiner Friend of Leo's

I understand... but the answers to these questions would dictate whether or not I'd get a set... at the time I asked, I was contemplating building another guitar... now, that's been put on hold so subsequently has my interest in Alan's pickups... maybe..

I do appreciate the work and time that Alan puts into his pickups.. And I have no doubt that it's anything less...

15. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

So everyone is gonna sell their old Hamels which were of course the best pickups in the world for the new set which are surely the best pickups in the world. LOL

I'd really like to hear the same guitar and player with a new Hamel Broadcaster an old Hamel a Stuart Blackguard an SD Broadcaster a Peter Florance Broadcaster a Lindy Fralin Broadcaster and see if anyone can tell one pickup from the others.

If any of these pickups I mentioned are really better than all the rest all of us should be able to easily hear it on tape and identify the Hamels from all the rest if they are truly that remarkable. Right? Doesnt that make sense?

16. GuitarJonz

Apparently, when they examined this group of early blackguard pickups, they found that the earliest Broadcaster and Esquire pickups were substantially different from the later ones, and they based their new Broadcaster pickups on their findings. They will share some of those findings in Nacho's new book, but will retain other findings for their own use in making these pickups, trade secrets, so to speak. I applaud them for doing this type of research. Dunno if the pickups will sound substantially different than other Broadcaster models from other manufacturers, as Mark mentions, but I'll have no doubt that those Broadcaster pups will be THE closest thing you can get to a real vintage Broadcaster pickup, if thats what you desire.

17. PeterUK

Mark, I'd love to hear all of those on your list too, but from my own experience, my Fralin Broadcaster A/B-ed against my Hamel standard bridge are poles apart (no pun intended!). Similarly, the Peter Florance VooDoo bridge I had in Broadcaster replica #1 also gave a completely different sound / tone / vibe / feel and hence a real shoot out would be the only way to get your own individual "perfect" pick up.

The test would need to be:

- same guitar
    - same amp
    - same player

Hmmm. Now I wonder how such a shootout could be arranged?

:? Peter

18. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

The earilest Broadcaster and Esquire pickups were based on the Champion lap Steel pickup which came out in 1949.

19. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

well actually.....

You won't catch me selling any of my Alan Hamel pickups.....But if you happen to have a set that you're not using!!!???? :lol:

Bill Hullett

20. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

SAME HERE

I'll be keeping my Hamels.

I'm buying any Hamels you'all don't want.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.