1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I got the Blues...Driver!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Boss pedals are reliable and affordable. Also easy to use. That's big on my scorecard.

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

The 'boring' box/ footswitch treadle design/battery access/ and isolation of knobs from our clunky feet is design genius
    *and they sound pretty good!

3. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

I keep seeing it at the feet of great players - Chuck Prophet, Duke Levine, Wayne Krantz, to name but three.

I presently have the Mooer copy, but I want the real thing. Is the Waza a noticeable upgrade?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Mostly, the Waza series incorporates some variations of after-market modifications to Boss pedals. I’m probably in the minority in thinking that the SD-1, BD-2, OD-3 and DS-1 are good-to-great pedals in stock form. Nothing wrong with mods if they give you a variation of the basic stock pedal more to your liking, but I don’t think that mods to Boss dirt pedals are always necessary. Some of this may depend on your guitars and amps, too.

I think one of the reasons the SD-1 and DS-1 are probably the most modded pedals in the pedal universe is that the stock pedals are pretty inexpensive.

4pickupguy and RetroTeleRod like this.
  5. jbensaab

jbensaab TDPRI Member

The BD-2 was my first pedal and it was my only pedal for 20 years, then I went crazy and started collecting pedals and later building pedals. The BD-2 is still one of my favorites.

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

8-10 years ago, I spent about 2 years buying/trying/selling/keeping/returning a ton of say, under $100 OD pedals ( most, much less $$) just for kicks, out of curiosity.

A lot of it was from reading threads and reviews right here and TGP.
    It was fun!

I definitely kept a few, sold most and BD-2 ( Which I bought in 1998) basically kept doing the gigs while all this was going on.

It was like ( at gigs) " OK try this one out, but DON'T forget the Blues Driver!"

7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I’m really enjoying the Blues Driver. It plays nice with my AC-15 which not every dirt pedal does. I like how it gives me a nice full tone at low volume without changing the character of my Vox. It’s a keeper!

4pickupguy and bluesholyman like this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

That’s great! Did you wind up using it as a low gain? Have you used it as a boost to others?

9. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I like it always on as my “clean” sound. Haven’t experimented much with stacking it yet.

4pickupguy likes this.
  10. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Since when do blues [driver] and clean belong in the same sentence? Dirty it up, son!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.