1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I got the Blues...Driver!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

Boss envy in 84’s corner of the Tele Universe! ;););)

Enjoy!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Awesome! I hope you like it. I like my OS-2. I’m always surprised when I add it to the board. Somehow I’ve gotten this far(30yrs) without a ds-1(added a month ago), sd-1 or a Blues Driver. Keep hearing how good it is with the od-3. Both are in my list.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Enjoy your new pedal. They are great pedals. Quick story, I met Larry Carlton after a show at an outdoor concert once. All equipment was rental so he was using a twin reverb. So I asked him how he got that sound with a twin reverb. He looked at me and said, "I just turn it up to 10 and use a Blues Driver!" Then he smiled and chuckled a bit. If its good enough for him then well... He got his sound live with a twin and BD2!!

Jim W and RetroTeleRod like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This is kind of how things happened with me back in '97 or '98 ( when BD-2 was new)

My band was sharing a local 'showcase band' gig and the guitar player before us sounded great! Looked at what he was using...

So I went and got Blues Driver asap!

BUT, at the time, I was using a '68 Deluxe Reverb, and the BD-2 was NOT a good fit at the time- fizzy and treble-y!

IMO the EQ of both items were too similar- ' smiley face EQ' with deep bass, high treble not a lot of mids- plus my DR was very clean. Not so good with the Blues Driver

So I kept using either a TS type OD, or a Barber Direct Drive with the DR just fine,

Then discovered that the BD-2
    ( always ON) was perfect for my mid rangey Blues Junior- woke it up!
    ( had to sell DR, $$!!)

So I do the exact same thing with my Vox Pathfinder at gigs- sounds great and practically doubles that amp's volume. Always on, work things from the guitar!

The BJ is now for big gigs

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

the OD-3 has more low mids and sounds fuller (more Nobels ODR-1),the BD is more a SD-01 with increased hi-mids...different animals

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you sure your BD2 isn't modded? It's quite "flat" and in fact may emphasize treble and bass a bit.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Trade your DS-1 for an OD-3. Then, go buy an MXR Badass 78 Distortion, which apparently is a clone of the Keeley-modded DS-1.

8. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

my BD is stock

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure how you're defining low mids or high mids, but the midrange response of both the BD-2 and OD-3 are somewhat similar, based on their circuit designs. Neither one is really utilizing a bandpass filter to target a midrange-specific subset of frequencies.

OTOH, I find the BD-2 to have more treble and bass than the OD-3, probably because it's got circuitry that's more overt at removing midrange - it's basically like a hardwired BF/SF Fender tone stack, and it falls right after the first gain stage, just as it does in a BF/SF amp.

...The OD-3 also has a mid-scoop filter, but it's basically pre-gain/pre-clip, so IMO it makes it more subtle.

But to repeat - based on the circuit itself - neither of these pedals is really 'pushing mids'.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  10. Monte Allums

Monte Allums TDPRI Member

Great Pedal, but the unnatural fizzy decay is a problem. But entirely fixable! ;)

11. EnglishPete

EnglishPete TDPRI Member

Yup: great choice (depending on your choice of music). Here is MY pedalboard. Blues Driver; Bassman '59, and a Wah-wah, which is only used as a static tone control. I do not want or need anything else. IMG_20210402_143213.jpg

12. Chiogtr4x

Cool!
    What amp(s) are you going into?

13. EnglishPete

EnglishPete TDPRI Member

Umm... embarrassing... (as I cannot list off a load of deluxe US models or boutiques that I own) I use a Vox Valvetronix VT30, Boss Katana 50 II, An old (but good) Sessionette 75, a Roland cube and a Roland Micro-cube. Or I patch DI to my PC.

kaludjerko and Chiogtr4x like this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Hey, all good!

I gig ( now, smaller gigs),
    with either a Vox Pathfinder, or a Fender Frontman 25R ( with Emi Legend speaker),
    and use a Micro Cube ( got last year), so I can play electrics in our apartment.

Great sounding little amps, ( need portable, bad back) and keep pedals on gigs to a minimum.

15. Mango_Dave

Mango_Dave TDPRI Member

BD is by far my favorite pedal for general playing. Have fun with it. I often use it in combination with a DS-1 for a richer sound (nod to JoeNeri's post).

Playing around I decided to play through it as boost or as a slight drive into my Spark modeling amp and it adds tons of flavor to whatever setting I happen to be using. Only complaint is that the 9V battery runs down fast even when not in use so i keep it plugged in.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

That Bassman pedal is a peach, too, and sounds good with the BD-2.

17. EnglishPete

EnglishPete TDPRI Member

That Bassman was a real find! They do not do them any more. I donno if Roland Boss fell out with Fender? That Bassman sound is just IT for US roots rock....

bluesholyman and Willie Johnson like this.
  18. EnglishPete

EnglishPete TDPRI Member

Boss pedals really eat up batteries.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  19. JunebugJones

JunebugJones TDPRI Member

The Blues Driver is a great pedal! You should find lots of uses. It was the first overdrive pedal I ever bought. My bandmate liked it so well, too, she swiped it for her pedal board, lol.

Easy to dial in a good sound. As others have said, it has a transparent, vintage quality that doesn't unduly call attention to itself.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

I've had most of my Boss pedals for 20 years, now 3 of them are on a pedalboard with power supply ( so batteries are not used)

But 2, my Boss Tremolo and my Blues Driver are used most of the time just on battery, and the battery life was fine.

I think it's the type of effect, say an active OD pedal ( like a Bad Monkey- which I own, and will eat batteries), or a reverb or delay, that draw power.
    Not the brand.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.