1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I got the Blues...Driver!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Mar 30, 2021.

1. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i've had one for about 15 years now. i went through a phase of selling all my drive pedals off and only the bd 2 survived and for a long time it's been the only drive i've needed. i leave mine on all the time pretty much and just use the volume control for adding gain. when i want a boost for a solo i'll use an eq pedal.
    the bd 2 is just simply a great pedal - enjoy!

Jim W, Tele-friend and RetroTeleRod like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Cool setting for BD-2, to try, may like it, may not
    ( I will just do this sometimes as often, the BD-2 is the only dirt pedal I'm using):

If you crank the Tone and Gain knobs all the way ( pedal Level can be wherever you want, same with amp volume), then turn Tone knob OFF on whatever pickup you want to use, you get a pretty good Fuzz!

3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is why I switched to a Timmy. It's still a great pedal though, and I'd use it again if needed.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely need to try this. I like a fuzz tone occasionally, but probably not enough to have a dedicated fuzz pedal on board. Would be great to use the Blues Driver for double duty!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Try it, just an option, but predictable, so I like that.

I only use 2 dirt pedals max ( and one is gonna be a BD-2, usually just this alone), and 4-5 total ( and 1 is a tuner.
    Simple, plus I gotta keep things light. ( bad back!!)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Not sure of order here, but if you want to stack them, I'd go OD-3 -> BD-2 -> SD-1

This would be in order of increasing low-end roll off, if I am correct about the BD-2 being less rolloff than the SD-1.

Just a thought.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Ok. Thanks for the info!

8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Both the BD-2 and OD-3 boost bass in ways that the SD-1 doesn't. Especially with the BD-2, there's an active bass boost gain stage that falls after the level control.

The OD-3 has circuitry at the beginning of the circuit (e.g. 'pre-gain') that scoops the mids a bit, but the gain/clipping stage-proper that follows basically has an EQ shelf that's the same as a TS/SD-1 - rolls off bass below ~720Hz at 6dB/octave.

The BD-2 starts with a gain stage that's basically similar to a TS/SD-1 (rolls off bass below ~710Hz at 6dB/octave), then goes thru circuitry that's like a hardwired BF/SF Fender amp tone stack, that attenuates the mids, then onto the hard clipping diodes, then into a second gain stage that is basically full range (only rolls off bass below ~70Hz at 6dB/octave), then does a little more mild tone shaping that includes the tone control circuitry itself, and then onto the post-level bass boost stage.

Like a TS, the SD-1 shelves the bass and treble, rolling off lots of both, and is followed by a tone circuit that really just kind of restores some treble content when you roll it up clockwise.

Anyway, I've personally had the best success with pedal stacking by putting the pedal with the least bass emphasis in front, so that would be the SD-1. Assuming the BD-2 will be set for very mild OD purposes, I'd then personally put it last. This assumes that the user will actually use the OD-3 as an actual OD, and not as some kind of slightly dirty booster.

...All of that said, I don't ever recall stacking an OD-3 and BD-2, but that's because I personally use them as actual OD pedals, because I prefer other stuff for dirty (or even clean) boosts.

But backtracking, when @RetroTeleRod said:
    ...I think that kind of confirms an arrangement of SD-1 -> OD-3 -> BD-2.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  9. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I had one on my board a few years back when I was in a country band. Worked really well. It is fairly uncompressed so it makes it easier too be dynamic. As I recalled, at max gain it would compress a little. Sold it, kinda regeret doing so but now I have the Hotone "Blues" mini clone and like to stick it on the board from time to time. It has a "fat" switch which adds in a little extra bottom end.

10. 11 Gauge

What I posted is probably an unnecessarily complex and therefore confusing attempt to explain what's happening in the signal path of each of the three pedals. Here's (hopefully) a more simplified summary of each:

SD-1 signal path (simplified):
    in -> gain/clip with (strong) bass de-emphasis -> (strong) treble de-emphasis -> tone circuit -> (more mild) treble de-emphasis -> level control -> out

OD-3 signal path (simplified):
    in -> mid scoop -> primary gain/clip with (strong) bass de-emphasis -> secondary gain/clip (pretty much full range) -> primary EQ shaping of bass/middle/treble -> tone circuit -> level control -> out

BD-2 signal path (simplified):
    in -> first gain stage with (strong) bass de-emphasis -> mid scoop -> clipping diodes -> second gain stage (full range) -> simple EQ shaping (rolls off both bass and treble) -> tone circuit -> level control -> bass boost stage -> out

11. Chiogtr4x

^^^^ It's so nice to hear this stuff again, from you. Thanks 11 Gauge

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I guess my thinking here is that I tend to stack multiple overdrives, especially if they are being used in a boost and/or EQ capacity, which is how I tend to use them. Also thinking I want as much of the guitar signal going down line (i.e. something like an OD-3 first and an SD-1 / TS last) because I would think that if the SD-1 is first, the OD-3 is not going to recover the lower frequencies that have been shelved. Obviously the lower frequencies are not completely gone, so what's left would get boosted if that is what the OD-3 EQ is doing.

My basic signal chain looks like:

Guitar -> Foxcatcher (always on, blues breaker clone) -> Aluminum Falcon (always on, klone) -> several fuzz -> Soul Driven -> Guv'nor -> Tube Screamer (Ibanez Super Tube STL) -> EP3 preamp -> amp/effects loop.

Generally speaking, I go most bass/highs to least bass/highs and sometimes use the "tighter" pedals downstream to tighten up a fuzz or another drive upstream. I change this is I like how it sounds a different way though.

Ultimately there are things done certain ways more than others, no wrong or right, just the effect you want to get. This is just how I was thinking about it when I made the suggestion.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  13. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

I have both and I disagree, because they sound very different...

14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I foolishly sold my BD-2 about 5 or 6 years ago. I ended up buying a new one last year.
    It’s good enough to be your only drive pedal.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  15. 11 Gauge

Understood, and you're right that there's no right or wrong, that it's all about what works for the individual user.

But if you look at the signal/circuit path for stuff like the BD-2 & OD-3, you'll see that they basically have a gain/clipping stage in/near the front that's similar to the SD-1/TS. Point being that in the more complex OD circuits, you typically will find that bass is most aggressively removed first, in an attempt to keep things kind of tight/'stable', and then the rest of the frequency response gets shaped downstream. It might even help to think of the low and high frequency EQ shaping more like 'recovery', because it's an intentional attempt to not add clipping to the bass or treble.

It's the same thing with a Bluesbreaker/Guv/Shredmaster - first stage removes a good bit of bass, while the second stage adds some low end back in, and then clips the signal there, and then does the final EQ treatments post-clipping.

The Klon actually splits the signal path three ways, especially to keep the bass out of the distortion path. This is how it can use hard clipping and not have it sound like a fuzz/distortion pedal.

I really like how it's handled in some of Barber's OD pedals - roll off a lot of bass at the initial gain/clipping stage, then run it through various twists on traditional passive tone control circuits, and then utilize a 'post-everything' EQ stage to tweak/recover bass & midrange.

Chiogtr4x, Tele-friend and dswo like this.
  16. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Thank you for the in depth explanation! I'm a geek about pedals so it's interesting to hear how they operate.

@RetroTeleRod Congrats on the new pedal! I'm hoping to upload a photo of my new all Boss board when it's done. The jury is still out on which drive pedals get to stay.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  17. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

18. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

You bought it like you said you would. Congrats! :)

BD 2 is my favourite OD pedal. I have it turned on probably 75% of time if not more. Such a great natural, warm sound :D
    Thank you @11 Gauge for the detailed sound specifics of BD2 and SD1 which is another pedal I have on my board all the time.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In what ways?

20. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Great pedal. I bought one after I heard a guy get GREAT live tones, and I went to look at his pedalboard after the show.

Chiogtr4x and RetroTeleRod like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.