I got the "blue screen of death"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by birddog01, Feb 27, 2015.

1. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

I had a lighning strike right next to my house a couple of years ago. It traveled through the coax cable and blew out 2 Directv boxes, the WAN port on my wireless router and an HDMI port on one of my TVs.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Funny. Looks white and gold to me.

3. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Actually you should clone the HD with the OS. If the current drive goes Tango United you have the clone with the OS on it.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Getting back to the issue at hand, there are a number of things that could cause a BSOD, and without figuring out what that is we're throwing speculation around.
    OP, are you able to boot in safe mode?

5. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    There's always one..

You realise Apple use the exact same off the shelf hardware that pretty much every other PC uses, right? They use HDDs made by Samsung, Toshiba, etc.. So if, as OP suspects, he has had a HDD failure.. The chances of it happening with a Mac are no better or worse than a comparable Windows machine, because it's the exact same hardware, operating in the exact same way.

Maybe more people would be willing to try Macs if there wasn't always that one guy who comes into a PC thread pushing an unwanted and factually inaccurate sales pitch on their behalf that smacks of unjustified superiority. ;)

6. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Just my 2 cents, but I never get a BSOD on my abacus. And I never have to deal with the Windows/Apple hate. Just sayin'. Although my antikythera mechanism did freeze up once, and I used it for a boat anchor. I don't recommend the antikythera, very unreliable, customer service pretty much nonexistent. Good luck with the file recovery!

7. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

I got the "blue screen of death"

You have obviously never used a MAC with OSX for any length of time...and although many of the same components are used, the packaging and quality control are obviously superior. I used to think and say the same thing you just said, until I gave Apple a genuine trial, I never looked back...

First hand experience: my company three years ago started a BYOD policy. Me, the director of services bought a new MacBook Pro, 1400.00. My colleague, the director of sales bought an almost identical (spec wise) ASUS. Since then he has had his external monitor connection go bad, numerous issues with windows drivers, he could not print anymore and the keys on his keyboard were so worn out that one could not see the paint on them anymore, then it started the lock up thing anytime he would open MS Word, and finally died about six months ago to a blue screen...he paid 500 less than I did but in that same period, my MacBook never failed me, rarely got rebooted or shut off (maybe once a quarter?) and it still looks brand new. And the OS, once learned, is simply far superior in the simplest of ways. It's painful for me to use a windows machine in the rare occasion I still have to "borrow" one...

Just my own experience, don't knock me for simply stating what I experienced...

8. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I spent a few years using Macs 4+ hrs a day, 5 days a week.. Which is actually completely irrelevant because it doesn't take any experience to know that two identical components are in fact, identical. Apple do not make those HDDs, they cannot test for failures that haven't happened yet and it's ludicrous to think it's any less likely to fail because it's sitting in different packaging. I mean really.. cmon.

If you don't believe me, feel free to research the subject yourself.. Because you clearly haven't done so in the past

9. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Their policies can be a PITA like any other company.
    https://www.change.org/p/timothy-d-cook-replace-or-fix-all-2011-macbook-pro-with-graphics-failure

this is still in the works!

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Guys, we're not gonna convert anybody to our cause by having an argument on an internet forum. I thinks that's successfully happened exactly never.
    Again, OP, try booting in safe mode and let us know if you can. There are a ton of things that could be causing a BSOD. The drive is a pretty likely candidate, but given the age of the computer it could also be something else.

11. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

12. rider7

rider7 Tele-Meister

13. rider7

rider7 Tele-Meister

+1000.

And this coming from a Mac user since OS 7. Yep, that System 7.

Hardware for both mac and windows are made by third party. Macbook Pro used graphics card made by Nvidia, CPU by Intel, Battery made by Sony, Retina display made by LG, SSD made by Samsung, Ram made by Nanya(worst ram ever).

Here is the the Mac version of windows BSOD. Mac Kernel panic after pulling the thunderbolt cable out.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.