I got the "blue screen of death"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by birddog01, Feb 27, 2015.

1. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

I have heard this term before and now I see it.
    My old Laptop with XP got it a couple weeks ago, ok so I'm picking up a new machine this weekend.
    My question is, my stuff off of it? A guy at work said the hard drive probably went, and may be possible.
    Can I do something myself or do I need to take it to a professional.
    I have lots of photos, vids and word documents the I really would like to have.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Open up the beast, take the hard drive out.
    Go to the geek store, there is a cable/adaptor which will connect and power your old hard drive to your new pc , USB connection, and you can transfer everything.
    You can always ask the geek store to connect your old hard drive to their cable, see if it works before you buy the cable/adaptor $15-25
    If that doesn't work, it means the hard drive went and then you go to a professional and pay lots of money

3. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

When you purchase the new laptop, do yourself a big favor and also buy an external harddrive where you make a backup of all your important files. Or burn them on a bunch of DVDs or CDs.

4. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

If the pc/laptop will boot up boot it up in safe mode buy yourself a flash drive 10gb will be more than enough put the flash drive in the usb port and move your files ,if it does not boot up then there is a hard ware issue

5. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

The cause of the BSOD could be any number of things. So I can't really make a guess on that here. But, here is what I will say.

You should expect to lose all of your files stored on a hard drive if they are not backed up elsewhere.

Hard drives fail. All of them. It is not a question of if they fail, it is when will they fail. Where you choose to backup is up to you, as long as it is backed up.

Storage space is cheap these days. Buy an external hard drive and have all of your important files automatically mirrored to it using a cheap or free sync program. As an alternative use Google Drive as an offsite backup. It comes with 15 GB free storage space and is dirt cheap to upgrade to more space if needed. After installing Google Drive, anything put in it's folder will automatically be synced to your account online.

Along with Google drive there are numerous other online backup options that all come with some free space and cheap upgrades.

I've seen it countless times in person and on forums like this. People not taking very simple steps to ensure that their important files will be taken care of in the event of a problem and then scrambling to find a solution after the fact.

6. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Buy the cable or small disk external box. Definitely some parts of your windows system is corrupted and you can't boot completely but, since you have a blue screen, you've got some data coming off the HD. Otherwise you would only see the ROM messages.

You'll get your stuff, I'm pretty sure. And you'll love your new laptop!

7. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

OR

Buy a Mac, setup time machine and in the rare case the Mac fails (doubtful it will ever fail) you've got a backup of all your files and folders ready to go.

I made the switch to MACS after the Windows Vista debacle and have never had a failure, lock up, blue screen, virus, adware, or HW failure. Everything simply works. Amazing why folks will not even TRY a mac. And most are somehow mad at Apple for making a superior product, both HW and OS.

8. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Apples hardware is as bad as anyones else but because it has an apple painted on it ir cost 4 times as much. Then they will try and sell you logic for 500 dollars and it's one of the worst daws out there. They will sell you ipods for 200 dollars that have no where near enough money which break if a few years anyway.

I mean how long does an apple computer system last 3-5 years? I have gotten longer out of windows machines and with linux I can have a fully functional machine for about 10-15 years if you want.

I've used apple computers, ipods, and ipads even recently and they are ridiculous. Especially for a guy like me that needs to do power computing and be able to do it on the fly no questions asked.

So apple may work for you and some people that's fine. Personally I need a much better OS that runs much better programs in a much more efficient way. On top of that I never want to have to walk into an apple store and have to talk to some weird computer barista.

9. cleanman

cleanman Tele-Holic

It seems to me that most folks don't do anywhere near enough stuff to need an ultra computer. Like with phones most of us make calls, text a bit, do Facebook and youtube. You can do that on anything. An iPhone 6 and Samsung S5 are probably way more device than most folks will ever use. I am no computer wiz. My computer needs are pretty simple. I use Apple products because my phone, pad and desk top play nice together and work the same way. Info moves seamlessly from one to the other. Also the fact that Apple is an american company contributing to the tax base and labor force seems a good thing during these tough times. Yes I know they do a lot of manufacturing in China.

10. shovelrider

Logic is priced at $200 and is one of the top DAWs available. I also disagree with pretty much everything else in your post but to each his own. :)

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

According to the TDPRI drinking game, y'all are causing me to drink apple 'tinis and grey goose vodka shots at 9:30am, so please take your apple/PC debate elsewhere. I mean, I got to drive home from work! Somehow, somewhere, the world works on both choices and y'all can make your own. thanks!

12. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Seriously? My 6 year old macbook is snappy, smooth, trouble free ... I am sitting at my work laptop (typing this from my iPad) ..... it's a 3 your old dell running windows 7 enterprise: painfully slow, so unusable this morning ... Had to restart which is taking over 10 minutes now ..... All I run are IE 8, Adobe reader, and the office suite. Outlook is probably what is killing this machine (and I like outlook). Professionally managed network and workstations ....

I think your hysterical opinion does not match most people's reality - I wonder how you got stuck on such a misinformed perspective? Linux is for weenies and I am a Linux server admin in a past life. Apple makes the most useful machines and to steer people to a win or Linux box for personal everyday use is just criminal and irresponsible.

P.s. I agree with your comment and feeling about the apple genius experience and Apple stores in general

13. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

The Apple Macbook I purchased in 2006, despite a few bangs on the case that were clearly MY fault (i.e., not Apple's), is still working great. But I guess I'm not a "power user", or some such nonsense, because Linux apps are so much better… ;)

In my time using Windows computer, the two times I got the BSOD were both OS related, and all files on my hard drive were recovered. So, there is always hope!

14. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

I'm not saying it's not possible, but I've never seen a BSOD caused by a bad hard drive. It's normally something software or RAM related.

Usually (again, this isn't set in stone) when an HDD goes bad it will just sit there like it's going to boot up but never does, or your laptop will automatically boot to the BIOS screen because it can't detect the boot sector of the HDD and therefor thinks it doesn't have an HDD in it.

Being a DAW user, we commonly see the BSOD problem because of either bad RAM or a hardware driver that has either become corrupted or didn't work properly from the get go with the recording software we use.

Unless you would like a new laptop a BSOD isn't a reason to upgrade because it's usually a simple fix.

If you take it to Best Buy they are going to tell you XP is no longer supported and even if it's just a loose connection, which it could very well be, they will more than likely try to talk you in to a new laptop.

If it gives you a BSOD every time you boot up try taking the HDD and the RAM out and reseating them.

Shane

15. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

Blue Screen of Death is an operating system screen, if that's showing it's obvious the drive is booting. It's O/S corruption at the top of the pecking order.

You should be able to slave the drive and get your data. I would be surprised if you couldn't.

16. shovelrider

A BSOD can absolutely be caused by a failing hard drive. Being a boot drive that will still boot does not automatically preclude that. Every hard drive manufacturer has software tools that you can use to check your drive for issues. I am assuming that with the OP still running XP that the HD is very old and quite possibly a point of failure.

17. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just before Christmas my 7 year old iMac died - I managed to start it up from my bootable external drive, but the diagnostics declared the hard disk was dead and I couldn't find any of my work files - that's when I realised I hadn't backed up my work for 3 weeks. It was one of the worst days of my life...
    After a few hours I stopped panicking and started thinking straight. Soon after that, I realised that I had not got past the prompt alert that said 'OSX cannot repair your drive'. Because after that it continued 'transfer your work to another drive'.
    I could in fact access my 'dead' drive! I opened it up - and there were my files - you can probably imagine how I felt!
    I still had to buy another iMac so I just had to learn my lesson and move on from there...
    ... and hopefully I will keep to my new regime of backing up every day!

18. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

When you get your new computer, download an ubuntu (or other linux) live CD.

Try and boot the computer with the live cd.
    If it boots try and access the hard drive.

Transfer your files through the network or to a USB drive,stick,etc.

Blue screen of death may be just an operating system failure.

For an XP computer a version like Xubuntu or an older version will be faster.

19. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Yes right, but it can also be RAM went bad, dust clogging up and all sorts of other possibilities.

take a pic of the BSOD to check for the code it's putting out. or write it down.

20. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

The electric company managed to blow up the power supply in my old Mac , so I bought a new iMac. I love it. The old Mac was Quicksilver G4. I can't even remember how long ago I bought it! Never any problems at all!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.