1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I got my flu shot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dreadnut, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

The flu shot is not analogous to the development of drug resistant bacteria. In the latter scenario, what happens is an antibiotic kills some large proportion of the bacteria, such as 99.9999% but the 0.0001% that survive have managed to survive through some mutation that confers resistance to the medicine. Then, these survivors are all that's left and after a while they've multiplied into a sizeable population of their own. It's basically evolution in action.

A vaccine just presents the body's immune system to parts of the virus so that it can form antibodies against those parts. Then when the person encounters the actual virus in the wild, their immune system already has a head start in fighting it.

getbent and Fretting out like this.
  2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The current shot covers the four strains expected to be the most prevalent for this year's flu season. The shot combined with the same care being taken relative to the pandemic should potentially help this flu season be reasonable since masking, distancing and washing hands is also good mitigation for flu virus, too. I get the shot every year and have for a very long time and absolutely wouldn't skip it as a "mature adult" for sure. I got mine about two weeks ago; Professor Dr. SWMBO got hers this week during her regular physician appointment. BOth daughters are getting theirs in the next week or two which is especially important because they both work in a retail environment.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Got mine (wife did too). I haven't had one in years, not because of any particular reason. I'm of the age where I'm going to start making it an annual habit.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

2 interesting factoids I have learned recently: Almost all of the flu we experience derives from the Spanish flu of 1918. And, about 30,000 people a year die from influenza in the US. I'm getting the shot for the first time ever, even though I can't remember the last time I had flu. I'm old enough to start admitting I'm old, and this is part of that.

Fretting out and Greggorios like this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Got mine 2 weeks ago. Have been getting them for at least 25 years or more. Never had any negative reaction beyond very mild flu symptoms for a single day afterwards and that's only occurred once in all that time. I've only gotten the flu twice during the same period. I agree with other posts that I find that a small price to pay for helping to be healthy the rest of the time. Again, as others have said, it also means we participate in helping to reduce the probability of others in our communities (family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, lady at the check out counter in the market, etc.) from getting sick too. A win/win all around.

But probably the single biggest benefit is that it saves my wife the horror of having to deal with the petulant child I turn into when I don't feel well!:confused:

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I've never experienced flu like symptoms, so I have never taken the flu shot, but now that our country is learning about good hygiene, it almost seems redundant to get a flu shot this year. Austrailia's experience supports my thoughts.

My main thought is that I am and going to be extremely careful for quite awhile now and the flu is much easier to not catch.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I've been getting the shot for a few years now being old. As mentioned above I hardly remember ever getting the flu but probably have a couple times in my life. If you are a senior get a pneumonia shot. It can be deadly if you come down with something else. You only need it once in your life also.

8. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Got mine two weeks ago tomorrow. I never miss getting it and I very rarely get the flu.

9. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

What strain of the flu are the shots for this year?

10. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

11. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I got the high dose shot three weeks ago. There's already enough stuff going around, I don't need the flu.

12. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

there's stuff going around for sure and it'll soon raise it's head showing a mask and flu-shot trivial in comparison

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Excellent! I got mine too.

You don't want to go through this. I still have numbness from the medically induced coma last year.

14. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Seniors should also get Prevnar 13, an additional Pneumonia vaccine that covers more strains than the regular one.

getbent likes this.
  15. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Just back from getting mine.

Geezer Strength

That made the nurse laugh. (She was probably smiling under her mask.)

getbent likes this.
  16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

They smile with their eyes.... as my persian relative says, 'they smile with their eyes and show that they care with their eyebrows'

never knew I'd have first hand use of that info.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  17. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I got mine and a pneumonia shot before that. Plus I wash my hands all the time and we have to wear masks in Germany. Hope it helps. Cause the flu is bad. I had it.....

getbent and Buckocaster51 like this.
  18. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

I figure at my age I need to play the odds. Like my doctor said "As you get less young..."

When I was younger, I thought I was invincible. Threw caution to the wind; damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

19. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I can't get flu shots. Every time I've got one, in 2-3 days in end up really sick. My doctor's husband is the same way. She understands, so she doesn't press it anymore.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

We got ours this morning.

BigDaddyLH and Buckocaster51 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.