1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I got my flu shot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dreadnut, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yep

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

It is advised here that after age 50 one should get a shot.

Greggorios and Tommy Biggs like this.
  3. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Got mine Oct 1. Had to wait for about 10 days for it not to interfere with the covid vaccine trial shots I got, simply had to have them spread out 2 weeks apart. Arm was a bit sore for a day or so, but, other than that, no big deal. The flu-THAT'S a big deal!

Greggorios and Tommy Biggs like this.
  4. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I got mine last week - offered to everyone 65 & over, or in “at risk” groups. My wife is younger but gets the vaccine as she is asthmatic.

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Contentious as it is, some scientists are starting to think that regular doses of the flu vaccine actually weakens the immune system.

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've never done it but I'm determined to do it this year. Remember it's also a public service to get the flu shot - if you don't get it, you can't spread it, and you also won't be hospitalized for flu at a time when, frankly, your hospital might need those resources to deal with the "other" bug going around.

Although the masking etc. measures we are all taking this year will probably minimize flu transference to some extent.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Same thing here in New Zealand. Around 200 hospitalisations for flu in the period from January to September 2020. In all of 2019 there were 6,500.

BigDaddyLH and Greggorios like this.
  8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I've had the flu a few times and it is absolutely miserable.
    Last time was 2009.
    I started getting a shot in 2010.

I may not be smart, but I can be taught.

9. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Got my first flu shot ever at 62 this year. I'm not taking any chances. Next us is the Shingles vaccine.

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Got mine several weeks ago, and got my first shingles shot last week. No reaction other than my arm was sore for a couple days. Some people do have something of a reaction to the shingles vaccine (headache, flu like symptoms etc).

Greggorios likes this.
  11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

You know you're getting old when you have to start getting annual flu shots. :rolleyes:

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  12. blue17

blue17 TDPRI Member

From my understanding, that may be outweighed by all of the people still not taking precautions and from the fact that so many people won't be getting flu shots at their office drives or wherever. I'd have to assume that a sizable number of folks not getting flu shots are from laziness, and not an opposition to the vaccine itself.

13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

thank you very much for being so considerate of your family, friends, neighbors, and fellow citizens .
    If only your example could inspire other to act with such intelligence and compassion.

Caring for self is caring for others,
    Caring for others is caring for self.

chi chi 1.jpg

Greggorios and blue17 like this.
  14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Got ours two weeks ago. Whole family. Been getting them for about 5 years. Our province is offering them free this year to cut down on flu cases in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Greggorios likes this.
  15. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Yup, senior flu shot, 2 shingles shots, pneumonia vaccine. 66 years old and trying to not take any chances.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I get the flu shot every year. Unfortunately it is not a guarantee that you won't get influenza, just as a seatbelt or airbags do not guarantee that a person won't be injured in a crash. One year I got both influenza A & B at the same time despite having gotten the immunization. Good times. But most years I do not get the flu.

I got the shingles vaccine last year. I will say that that vaccine made me feel pretty rotten the next day, with a splitting headache. I think it's a good idea to get the shingles vaccine but just don't plan on operating a jackhammer the next day.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I doubt I've had flu more than eight or ten times. Plenty of heavy colds though. I had an over-sixties flu jab a couple of weeks ago as I'd be at risk if I caught it alongside the 'present threat'.
    The side effects weren't too bad a day later: a slight headache, some muscle stiffness and generally feeling out of sorts. Back to normal after 36 hours. Apparently the 'old gits' vaccine has added ingredients to fight off the punk viruses. I'm keeping a bottle of Scotch for added protection.

Greggorios likes this.
  18. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m all for vaccination/ believe in them but if we keep knocking the flu back isn’t eventually gonna turn into a super-mega flu?

Like the super viruses that thrive in hospitals?

Shoo flu! Shoo!

19. blue17

blue17 TDPRI Member

The flu we vaccinate for is different every year, hence the annual vaccine and why it's not always hugely effective. At most, it's a "best guess" based off of present strains in the other hemisphere. In short, yes, flus mutate, and we try to predict it as best we can.

Greggorios likes this.
  20. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

got my first flu shot in the mid 1990s & have never gotten the flu during any flu season in which I had the flu shot, until last flu season.
    Last year I got my flu shot as usual in October. I went to bed the night of December 25, 2019, and I felt just fine. Woke up the morning of December 26, and I felt like i got run over by a freight train.
    So, I got the flu one time out of all those years when I had the shot. Seems like pretty good odds.
    Nothing is perfect I suppose.

Got my flu shot for this season last Thursday.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.