1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I got my flu shot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dreadnut, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

So I asked my Doc if I should get my flu shot now or wait; he said "now." I have gotten the flu vaccine for several years running now because of my age and other risk factors. I thought maybe they would come out with an updated vaccine later but he said all the vaccines for this season have already been produced based on their best projection of what strains are active currently.

Last year I got sick as hell for a month in December and January; they told me "Well the flu morphs in unpredictable ways" and "you would have gotten sicker if you hadn't gotten the vaccine."

So I try to proceed with an abundance of caution...

Jim W, matty428, Greggorios and 12 others like this.
  2. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I've gotten the flu shot every year for about 20 years. When I was working the workplace provided I it and my volunteer work in the hospitals required it. I've never had a bad reaction, thank goodness. Our shots become available on the 19th and I'll be close to first in line to get one.

fishermike, Jim W, matty428 and 4 others like this.
  3. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I've gotten it each year for over 20 years for sure. My sense is that this year will be not too bad as most are taking more precautions than usual. One thing I read said that although each year's strain is different, if this years is more like one from 10 years ago, you might get some benefit from the one 10 years ago. I have no idea if that is really true or how likely it is that a new strain can be like one from years past, but it is just another reason to get them each year.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

We got ours last week. We have been diligent about getting them for many years now. I have never had a reaction to the shot itself. Not even a sore arm.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I got one last week. The nurse asked if I wanted a “Senior” flu shot. First time I had heard there was a senior shot. I got it. Hope it helps!​

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Picked up the flu a couple of years ago and it was absolutely awful, totally debilitating for a couple of days and the rest of the time no fun at all. I'm reasonably young, good shape, etc. and it still wrecked me. Probably the first time I'd had it in well over a decade.

I get the vaccine every year. Now I have a fresh memory of why I get it! Good on you for taking care of yourself.

Greggorios and cravenmonket like this.
  7. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got mine last week. I don’t remember when I have had a bad case of the flu. I think it helps.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

I can't even remember having the flu. I guess I was blessed with a great immune system, but I just don't get sick. However, my wife has stepped in and decided that since I'm officially old (70) now I need one, so I have had one for the last couple of years. Yes, dear!

Greggorios likes this.
  9. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Its a good idea .

Greggorios and teleblastard6 like this.
  10. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Get it early, it takes a few weeks to build up your immunity after you've had it.

Greggorios and teleblastard6 like this.
  11. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

It’s on my list, I’ll get mine soon.

Greggorios likes this.
  12. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I went to my doctor a year ago this month. He didn't even offer me the flu shot. I got INCREDIBLY sick with the flu or something 3 weeks later.
    It was so bad, I sometimes suspect it was THE virus because I felt like I was dying. I was so pissed at that practitioner.
    Needless to say, he's no longer my doctor. This year I was offered and got the flu vaccine. :cool: One less thing to worry about.

Get the flu shot. It doesn't even hurt you big babies! :rolleyes:

GGardner likes this.
  13. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I never got one, and I never got the flu. Then I started a new job and they have a nurse come in and give them out. Haven't missed a flu shot in 4 years.

I've heard the flu is pretty awful so why not.

Greggorios and GGardner like this.
  14. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Got mine last week.

Greggorios likes this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It’s essential that folks get it. It’s also wise to have your pneumonia vaccine if you are older than 65 or have specific underlying medical issues.
    There some evidence or opinion that vaccinations may enhance your immune response in general.
    Worst case scenario this year is hospitals dealing with concurrent flu seasons. I worked in hospitals for 40 years. Colder weather brings in folks with severe flu, pneumonia, COPD, CHF.

Harry Styron and Greggorios like this.
  16. Maicobmw

Maicobmw TDPRI Member

Got my first flu shot ever this week at age 60. I tried to stay brave for the cute nurse but may have winced slightly.

Greggorios, Binx and GGardner like this.
  17. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

and don't forget to ask for Shingrix if you are over 50.

18. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Same. I was so wiped out that I swore, "Never again." It was like four days of food poisoning + your worst hangover + fever. I've been faithful to the vaccination ever since.

Greggorios and cravenmonket like this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife will bring home leftover shots for us. My older daughter has gotten better -- we used to have to chase her through the house to give her a jab. Not to be outdone, my younger daughter faints when she sees a needle.

Greggorios likes this.
  20. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I guess I should start asking about this. I would really hate to get the shingles :(

frank a likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.