1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I got my Amp back!!!

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Tollehouse Twang, Oct 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang Tele-Meister

So I vividly remember one Sunday when I had the rare thought "Wow, I Love my tone that I'm getting today" the natural drive from my amp was just perfect. There was even a moment when the song died down and my delay and reverb trials filled the space and I looked at the drummer (also a guitar player) and he shot a look at me like "whoa, YES!"

I had my special edition cream Vox ac15 with creamback speaker. Running thru the top boost circuit.

Stupidly i got complacent and traded it away... happens too often...

Luckily I had traded it to a guy who I became friends with and have made multiple trades after that transaction. I checked in every few months to see if he still had the amp and he loved it so much he wouldn't part with it. And this guy is addicted to buying/selling/ trading gear and is a revolving door with all his gear.

So I had too many guitars piling up (I build/mod guitars) so naturally I sent him a list of stuff I want to get rid of to try get my beloved amp back.

He really played the "man, i really don't want to get rid of it" card so i made him a trade offer he couldn't refuse.

I GOT MY AMP BACK!!! I was practicing for the setlist sunday and boy, to say I'm happy is an understatement. Right away I got that same tube driven natural OD and was just floored by the tone!

Sometimes the ones that get away eventually find there way back home. A real prodigal story hehe!

Anyways,

Anybody else have a prodigal gear story? Or worse, "the one that got away" story?

Blessings!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

What was the trade offer?

3. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

The only truly disappointing 'one that got away' story was the 1985 Ibanez RS440 I bought on Reverb.

Talked the guy into letting me pay the AU$ equivalent of his asking price instead of US$ price with shipping, and it made it all the way from Missouri to Sydney in the flimsiest cardboard box you'd ever seen.

[​IMG]

About two/three days before Christmas that year (I'd had the guitar for just over one month), somebody had broken into my house and stolen that along with a cheap Ibanez Gio that was my first ever mod. When I got home, I started calling all the hock shops in the area. The first one I called said a guy had come in with the two guitars twenty minutes before, but hadn't bought them. They eventually caught the thief and he went to jail for 18 months (mostly for drugs), but after three years, I don't hold any hope I've seeing this recovered.

Tollehouse Twang likes this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

In the 70's I had a blonde Bandmaster head with the harmonic tremolo that I used in clubs for a bit, then I traded it for (I think) an electric piano. 10 years later I found it at a new acquaintance's house - I identified it by a couple distinct gouges - and I asked about trading or selling it to me. He told me it was badly smoked, for him too expensive to fix, and without the web resources we have today I lost interest. But I called him about 15 years ago to ask again and it was long gone. So yeah, we do what we think is right at the time, and sometimes the regrets take decades to materialize.

5. Tollehouse Twang

I gave him a tele deluxe partscaster, a squier sparkle jagmaster, seymour duncan phat cat p90, fender p90s, 2 lace sensor pickups, a vintage harmony single coil pickup, and a surf green tele body. All things I acquired over years of buy/sell/trading. So really overall I probably only had a couple hundred bucks invested into the gear I gave him

6. Tollehouse Twang

Gosh, what a bummer! I always liked those Ibanez's with that style headstock!

7. Lineville65

Lineville65 TDPRI Member

What got away....67 Fender VC and a 67 Fender Musicmaster. I don’t miss the blue blazer with white bell bottoms and white turtleneck that looked good in the blacklight.

8. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(..........

9. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

this story is why I have too much gear in my house. Cause I've quit letting it get away, Even when I no longer have any real need for it.

Tollehouse Twang and CapnCrunch like this.
  10. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I sold a really nice 88 MIJ Strat and the first amp that I ever built, a 5e3 Deluxe, to a friend. I still miss the Strat, but the Deluxe is the only piece of equipment I've sold that I am still glad I got rid of.

Like you, I have quit selling gear, unless I absolutely hate it, like the 5e3. I've also pretty much quit buying gear. Practice is a much better investment than gear when it comes to tone.

thunderbyrd and Tollehouse Twang like this.
  11. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

I agree with you on the practice bit... You should build another 5E3 to get better at it.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  12. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Haha! My first amp build was a Mission Amps kit. Came with great quality components and Heyboer transformers, with the PT wound for modern voltages. The B+ was correct for vintage voltage specs without having to employ Zeners or other voltage dropping schemes.

Bruce Collins was great to deal with. He reviewed my build and I talked to him a great deal after building the amp. I ended up putting a Brown Deluxe tone stack in the amp to get rid of a lot of the interactivity between the tones, and put an RC filter on a switch to reduce the low end fartiness that defines the 5e3, especially with p90s and humbuckers. No matter which guitar you played through the amp or which pedals you tried in front of it, it always sounded like a 5e3. That with the non-existent clean headroom, made it a non starter for covering the ground I needed to cover at church.

If I was just playing greasy roots rock or really loose ratty blues, and that was all I was playing, it probably would have worked, but I got really tired of that really quick. I won't ever build or own another, I know enough about what they are to be certain that they are not for me. I don't miss mine at all, and that is the only piece of musical gear that I've moved along, that I haven't regretted parting with.

I later built a 5e5a Pro, and I will never part with that amp because it one of the best amps I've heard or played. I wish I had built the Pro first because it was no harder to build than the 5e3, and it is a real amp where the 5e3 is more like a toy.

13. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Well, playing a lot of Telecasters, I did like my mission 5e3 kit.... Took a while to find the right speaker. Not really useful at church where you have to be quiet enough to hear the mouse fart, though....

Jakeboy and Tollehouse Twang like this.
  14. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Have several the one in particular is an amp. One of a kind handbuilt by Bruce Zinky in the Fender Custom Shop Fender Prosonic head. It was given to Brad Whitford I bought it from Brad and it still had the property of Aerosmith inventory tag on the back. The only Prosonic head built with reverb and the only Prosonic ever built with the 120 watt Tonemaster power section. Got sideways with a political group they almost destroyed us financially had to sell a bunch of gear to survive. This one still hurts.
    DSC01495.JPG
    Recorded the guitar tracks here with it in the studio with my old band.
    https://app.box.com/s/sy3fohp80absjr501cel
    https://app.box.com/shared/3chz5vojtx

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    mRtINY likes this.
  15. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Wow! Red tolex is mighty sharp:cool:

16. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Aren't we supposed to feel sentimental about our gear? My Gibson G-10 (My First Electric Guitar Amp)...Not clean enough to be clean or dirty enough to be dirty. Kept her for about 40 years. I am really glad she is gone! DSCN3166.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.