I got about a million things I want to share with all you bass dudes....

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
I don't have time to now. But my latest news is I'm likely going to buy an Ampeg BA-112 today. It fits right in between my rumble 40 gen III I use for practice and my Rumble 100 (2-10"ers on casters) Gen II I use for gigs in the country band.

I'm thinking it will do most of my gigs and be easier to haul around.

But if anyone has any experience and has time to tell me before 2pm, I'm all ears.

It's an older 75 watt version. 1-12" speaker and he wants 80 for it.

But beyond that, I want to discuss playing with fingers in depth. Me transitioning from pick, etc.... My thoughtss and views and experiences. Likely will not be in agreement with some and maybe some others can relate.

But I will post my latest song with the thought of, really, there is no substitute to a pick and muted bass. It's got it's own sound that I really like and will likely not abandon on some of my originals....

right now I've been so busy with life stuff, it's sort of.... well it's hard to get a word in on here. Older Dad needing help finding a new place to live, kids moving out, kids back from school, mom moving closer, death in the family, drama in the country band, drama at church. Rearranging the house from son moving out. You get the picture. I keep saying I wasn't this busy when I was busy......

LOL. Ugh.

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I own this amp and think you’ll be happy with it, enjoy. The Rumbles are a good bang for the buck too.

I’m a guitar player who plays some bass. Most of my life I’ve flatpicked and hybrid picked the last 5 years. I use fingers exclusively on bass though.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Good deal on the amp, congrats. I grew up playing violin and then bass before picking up guitar as well so I actually had a harder time learning to use a pick properly, we're all different.
I can't say what is best. But in my experience try to make sure you use all your fingers. Position on the body is your preference so don't change that unless you want to. Some bassists anchor their thumb on the pickup or on the bottom string, again that is not right or wrong. I tend to float my hand so that is probably closer to what you do with a pick because it doesn't hold your hand in a single spot. I play anywhere between the bridge and the neck based on the dynamics I want to hear. When you are practicing try to include each finger in your plucking even if it means playing slower and more forcefully because that makes your life easier if/when you need to play 16ths, etc.
I love the mute/pick sound, that's like Carol Kaye! And after all these years I finally bought a nice mute instead of the foam blocks. I got a Nordymute, it's like a violin mute in that it snaps over the top of the strings so I can take it off easily. I only use it for a few songs.

Anyhow, there's no single correct way to play so have at it. Seriously, don't leave your pinkies out of it. Have fun.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
i like the sound of the amp. but i didnt realize it when playing, the fan is pretty loud. its either normal or i need a new fan.
Sounds like busy times!
Those BA Ampeg amps sound pretty good! You can try to access the fan, and get a drop or two of WD-40 on the bearing.
80 is pretty good deal! Nice!
Drama in country band?? It’s the curmudgeon drummer?? No….

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
lol. no hes been gone a while. new drummer is real good and easier to get along with. other than wanting to do big rock and roll endings on almost every song in practice. hes your quintessential, would you shut up for a second were trying to talk about thec song for a few moments, type. lol.

The grandpa, who does johnny cash really well, and the grandson, the main lead singer, arent getting along. and i get different stories from both. from my own experience the grandson has a tenancy to manipulate things to get what he wants. and he hasnt wanted his grandpa in the band for a while. cuz the curmudgeon drummer sold tge young guy that his grandpa was a weak link.

Which is partially true on a few songs. but i told the grandson to not take fir granted how great it is to have a band with your grandpa and play to the strengths of the people in his band. play MORE cash songs. gradually over time weve done less and the kid seems to be basically ignoring his grandpa. when i confronted him he said everything was good and the grandpa was ready to retire. but my hands are tied cuz the grandpa didnt want me sharing everything he did with me to the grandson. which i dont agree with and pisses me off. if theres a fricking problem, lets deal with it. so my gut tells me they both are at fault in some way or another and i got put in the middle. yaay me. im just like whatever. i did my due diligence and i really dont care either way whos the lead singer.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats on the new amp.

As to to pick vs fingers I'll be following this thread. I recently, last week, decided try give bass a try. I bought a little Rumble 25 and a cheap Ibanez short scale bass. I've been having a lot of fun learning some cool easy songs. but I'm concerned about my technique. I don't want to make the same mistake that I did when I started playing guitar and learn bad habits early on.

I always thought the proper and coolest way to play bass was using the alternating two finger thing but apparently a pick is completely acceptable too.

Starting off I've find myself using my thumb and first two fingers.

I'll be following with interest.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
A quote from Carol Kane, “most famous bass riffs from the 60’s are with flat wounds and a pick”. I believe you can take lessons from her on-line. I’m considering it

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Congrats on the new amp.

As to to pick vs fingers I'll be following this thread. I recently, last week, decided try give bass a try. I bought a little Rumble 25 and a cheap Ibanez short scale bass. I've been having a lot of fun learning some cool easy songs. but I'm concerned about my technique. I don't want to make the same mistake that I did when I started playing guitar and learn bad habits early on.

I always thought the proper and coolest way to play bass was using the alternating two finger thing but apparently a pick is completely acceptable too.

Starting off I've find myself using my thumb and first two fingers.

I'll be following with interest.
Is your Ibanez one of the Mikro basses, with the 28.6” scale? I don’t lack in the bass department but I think those Mikros are pretty neat-o.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
Is your Ibanez one of the Mikro basses, with the 28.6” scale? I don’t lack in the bass department but I think those Mikros are pretty neat-o.
That's the one. With my small hands and short arms, it is really comfortable for me. Nice for sitting at the computer, checking out tabs and tutorials too.

When I got it there was a lot of buzz and the intonation was way off. I spent about and hour giving it a proper set up and now sounds good and plays pretty well. Much better than a Squier SS Jaguar that I had briefly. That one made me give up and sell my amp and bass after about six months. Having much more fun this time around.

It's kinda purple but it's growing on me.

007.JPG

Last edited:

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
Every way that your right hand can slap, tap, pluck and strike the bass is valid. As a guitarist, I have a room full of gear, to provide me options and flavors. As a Bassist - A direct box is all I need, and every sound I would ever want is in my hands. You right hand is, by far the most important part of bass playing. My wife recently picked up bass, I got her started with the Truefire Stu Hamm videos. They are very good. That man is an institution.

Also, look to players that you admire, for me - at first it was Geddy, Rocco and Billy Sheehan. Billy Sheehan offers real solid advice on posture, bolting your straps on (and sewing them to length) and his three finger patterns made long nights of playing a bit easier.