I got a speeding ticket today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In Ostfriesland?

In a tiny village with .... 8 inhabitants ;)in the middle of nowhere at 9 pm?

But I get what you mean ,I am almost a Berlin resident since I live there at least three months per year so I am very familiar with the local culture,and I applaud it since it is an oasis of civilization compared to the third world chaos I have to endure in Athens..

Imagine that every morning I take my son to school and not even ONE driver stops at the pedestrian crossing in front of the school and of course they are all doing 70+ in a 10 zone..

There are at least twenty policeman, at any given time, right around the corner,the US embassy is a stone's throw away,and of course they don't lift a finger...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Alamo likes this.
  2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Back in August I got pulled over for failure to move over the next lane while an emergency vehicle was on the shoulder (police) going 60 in a 40 zone and failure to produce a license. I got a warning for all three.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is one good thing about modern information technology.

Failure to produce almost always resulted in detention, in the past. And there's really no reason. They can easily figure out who you are. They usually just want to add your fingerprints to their database.

There's one town in South Louisiana that had a chief of police, who was in trouble a lot with the law as a younger man. He made it his business to try to get everyone else arrested and processed (no reason really) so he had a set of fingerprints on everyone. So he didn't feel inferior to others. I won't mention this little town since this sucker is out of office now.

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's not as if my information including my Soundex wasn't on the registration that was in the car. The officer didn't even blink when I told him I didn't have my license with me.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  5. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Every jurisdiction has their own payment maze to work through. So that’s every state, county, and municipality in the USA. No standardization that I know of, so that’s a plethora of combinations and permutations to work through to find all the different ways to pay.

I got pulled over for speeding about a year ago; a town cop got me going 55 in a 45 where they had just changed the signage and expanded a 45 zone. He didn’t write a speeding ticket, just a warning given the recent change in 45 zone. But he did cite me for not having my current insurance info on me.

He told me I could get that citation wiped if I went (in person) to some obscure town office and showed my insurance info, as well as pay a small fee. I got lost twice trying to find this office so far out in the hinterlands (last time I checked the area was all cow pasture)... The line for service was long and I got to see people going through nightmares, trying to find a payment option the town would accept. Personal check? Lol for most. Credit or bank card? Maybe if it’s the right one. I got lucky and they took my check.

The only real speeding ticket I ever got, knock on wood, was a long time ago. I was taking a friend for a run in my ‘73 3.0CS. We were on a lonely farm road. We ran a few miles south, no traffic at all. Turned around and blasted back north. I ran up to about 130-135, held it there for a bit, and then lifted when I saw a car off in the distance coming at us. I was back down to about 85 when I saw clearly that it was a Florida Highway Patrol car approaching.

He spun around behind me and lit up all his stuff; I just pulled over and waited. He had me clocked at 106, so at least I’d gotten out of the throttle before his radar locked on me. I asked him just what the h he was doing out on this lonely farm road and he just smiled.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

Good to know. Thanks for letting us know this now happens.

I bet we all know of neighborhoods where it doesn't work like this.

I don't think there's a police dept. budget big enough for them to fool with people over such things. I hope this trend relays out into more places.

7. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Though getting pulled over for 10 mph excess, rather than 15 or more, is fussy, it all seems about right to me. The court cost subsidizes a bloated, inefficient, complicated system of records and the like that is really expensive. They probably charge double what the actual cost is, but in retail, that's standard. Where I live in CA, there's a wide variety of small violations, like rolling through stop signs, nosing into thoroughfares, tailgating, iffy passing, and the like -- not a lot of speeding that I see -- and this results in endangerment and accidents all over the place. 5 mph over the speed limit is about it. Hate to say it, but 10 mph over is too much.

8. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

You shouldnt speed bro, you could have gotten a squier strat or telly

9. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

Back here we have a system that calculates the amount of your speeding ticket on your daily basis earnings, if you go over the limit by 20 km/h or so. Under that the fines are fixed.

So, the larger incomes means larger fines. I think the tops are NHL player Rasmus Ristolainen, who recently got 40 daily fines amounting +120k€ for speeding 81 km/h at 40 km/h zone.

I think it’s quite fair actually. It hurts everybody the same, from the poor unemployed (6€/day) to the millionaires.

Alamo likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

You don't know what you're missing.

I'm "retired" from the serious high end speeding, but it is just a blast. Hire the right people, be nice, and they'll go so easy on you that you could forget you ever got stopped.

Drive a real well sorted out car, the best tires you can get, a "navigator" to spot for you, and a quality road and good weather conditions. I like Squiers also but you can't live on Squiers alone, IMO.

Matt G likes this.
  11. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Boris, does that make you a scofflaw?

;)

12. boris bubbanov

Could be.

But, there's almost nothing you can do in this society, that doesn't break some kind of law.

We used to call it "victimless crime", but if you're the bunny rabbit that gets hit by a car doing 120 mph, your perspective may differ. Anyway, the Statute of Limitations makes my reply moot.

+

Here's my question: if the crafters of the legislation don't reasonably expect anyone to obey some of these laws, who is the scoffer? I think laws have more majesty when there's sincere intention that virtually everyone obey them, virtually all the time. When I was asked to write legislation, my first question to the person asking for it was, do you expect substantial compliance? Because if there is no such expectation, the lack of respect for laws is in the writing and passing of the law, not in the routine noncompliance.

Ya'll see where I am coming from?

13. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Plus, when you pay the fine immediately, the problem goes away forever. Whereas when you take it to court, it turns into a command issue, and there's no telling what kind of nightmares can emerge from that.

14. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

How different from here ? I start to believe that (at least) 50% of drivers in the US are colorblind... e v e r y single day I see car going through red light everywhere here in MNPLS. And I mean, the light turns red, you can count mississippi 1 mississippi 2 mississippi 3 and cars still go through red.
    Light turns orange ? you don't slow down... naaaaah. You just step on the accelerator :rolleyes:.
    Drives me crazy every day.

15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Just watch the video.

Not a SINGLE car stops at the red light.

16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I'm ok with getting a speeding ticket if I'm speeding. What I couldn't stand were redlight cameras. Thank god my state outlawed them. They did an independent study and found they DID increase accidents where installed and that cities abused them as revenue farms.

17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I hate getting speeding tickets as much as anybody, been a long time since I've had one thankfully!
    What I get a kick out of is the when people get all bent out of shape about it. Seems pretty simple to me. Speed limits are the law, you break the law, get caught, you pay the price. Simple as that, no different than shoplifting.
    Don't know if it's an American mind set or worldwide. But people get TICKED OFF when some jerk actually drives the posted speed limit! I do that in state vehicles all the time, if it's 55, 60 or whatever that's where the cruise is set. I get a line of ticked off people behind every time I do that. I'm following the law and ticking people off!
    It's awsume.

18. boris bubbanov

I'm genuinely concerned for you, if you get out there on the Interstate. You will get hit hard from behind at speed. Which is worse than speeding. I'm sure we all agree.

I've been reading and enjoying your posts for years. This is the first time you completely missed the side of the barn, and hit the truck or something. Speeding has nothing to do with shoplifting, unless you're talking about someone who is in the middle of shopping and gets a call that their best friend has died of a sudden heart attack (and leaves the store with something while distraught).

Stealing is morally wrong. There's no relative thing about it. But when legislators are setting speed limits, they're trying out different concepts - like a recipe for baking a cake. When we wrote a law saying side streets should be max 35 mph, we got no Word from the Almighty. We just thought 3/4ths of a teaspoon of baking soda was a better choice than a whole teaspoon. Don't mess with the minds of the people who are writing laws and trying the best they can. They're just ordinary people and their aim can be good or not so good. It isn't even remotely like an Absolute thing. My friend you've never been this wrong on a post before.

You're risking your safety for no sound reason. For the rest of us here, please don't do this.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  19. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I've got a speeding ticket story too!!

Right around when I first get to town I'm heading down a road I've never been on to pick up a bass player on the North side of town. Coming up to a turn I get pulled over.

WTF?

Officer says he got me doing 20 in a 15. A 15?

Yeah, a school zone.

WTF again, I didn't see any school zone sign, or crossing guard, or pylon or kids etc. I circle around the block afterwards and sure enough there is a school zone sign...completely covered up in shrubbery/trees that you could not see until you were beside it in your field of vision:

[​IMG]

I make the court case, figure the judge will be lenient as my record was 100% clean. Officer shows up to court & lies claiming there was a crossing guard present. I show the judge a photo, explain that I would not speed had there been any way for me to see the one and only covered up school zone sign etc.

Judge says in his southern drawl: "Well the law done cover intend and you were speeding regardless of intent. I'll be nice cause your record is perfect, just take the online traffic course and your record will stay clean."

Didn't know the online class was $120, add that to the $30 in court fees and it was as much as paying the ticket.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  20. boris bubbanov

Yeah, those courses are the way to go.

I don't mind sitting through those in person, because it helps keep me in contact with the typical thought patterns of the other participants (helps a lawyer to know such things). I think it is too bad if they're doing them on line now.

IMO, always go for the diversion program. You don't want to plead guilty to any of this stuff - unless it is a busted tail light but even then, you simply have to get that actually expunged. The diversions never hit your record at all (that I know of, if there's exceptions guys, please speak up and say so).

The judge just wants the money into the fund. He or she does NOT care how many moving violation pleas he gets or doesn't get.

deytookerjaabs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.