I got a speeding ticket today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 14, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

KSP

He asked me three times if I had any firearms or other weapons in the truck. My answer never changed... which I guess was maybe what he was up to.

2. KWal

KWal TDPRI Member

Wow! This thread made it four pages without anyone asking if the Officer was wearing his hat while issuing the ticket.

There's folks on some fun boards still arguing over hat/no hat for tickets that were issued in 1997.

Was the Officer wearing their hat? :cool:

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Yes. The state patrol type hat, with the chin strap.

And I want to be clear - he was as nice and proper as you would hope for. I was wrong. He was doing his job. I didn’t argue with him. Neither of us acted like jerks. I took my medicine.

sonicsmitty and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And, it actually makes sense, from an economic standpoint, to hire the guys.

I'm in a curious situation where 6 of our 7 cars are registered in North Carolina, but since we're the very last (far, far western) county in North Carolina, and there's almost no place for speed coppers to do their thing in Cherokee County, the punitive rules of NC don't get to me. Finally, since my driver's license is Louisiana, they can't do much with me anyway.

Folks, be careful with Missouri, Kentucky and Ohio. I keep telling ya'll how incredibly fast the prevailing speed is in all these states I speed through, but I avoid the above 3 because they're still stuck in the 1990s. I spend my money in other states that are nicer to drivers.

It is "false economy" to complain about court costs. If you can get the charge reduced to non moving, your insurance rate will follow a different trajectory and save you thousands - fidgeting over hundreds, just no point to it.

You are PWNED by the insurance company if you don't fight moving tickets hard. No disrespect, but you aren't guilty of anything. If you go 70 in a 70 zone, they will just stop you and give you a ticket for impeding traffic. My professional opinion is, there is no such thing as driving perfectly within the confines of the traffic laws of most states. You are always guilty of something.

5. boris bubbanov

Shooting fish in a barrel, is what speed copping is supposed to be about. I don't think it is about how fast you go, but rather how zoned out you allow yourself to be as you flow along with the rest of the vehicles. People who bunch up with others at speed on the highway is idiocy and the only thing that's worse is doing so drunk, high and texting or playing a game on your phone.

Officers shouldn't write because they can. They should write to discourage inattention.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

Yeah. These three states (MO, KY, OH) are trying to set up some kind of dragnet. They're looking for weapons, drugs and other contraband, and human trafficking going North to South but especially South to North through this central aspect of the USA. South of this imaginary line, people are driving He11 bent for Election and in my experience, pretty much leaving most of the speeders to their speeding. Prevailing speeds on USA roads, from the Carolinas to California and further North out west, are actually getting to the point that even I think we're going too fast. I mean, unless we pledge to maintain our cars better, take refreshers in driving instruction, and actually pay attention to what we're doing. Just for example, on I-55 between New Orleans (Laplace) and Memphis, people are really hauling As$ these days. 90-100 mph is just no big deal at all. I think 50% of the drivers can do this easily, but what about the sketchy earbud wearing youngster in the banged up Nissan Versa with garbage for tires?

+

I've heard that Kentucky is adopting the "zipper" merge, in some cases. I hope this goes statewide. The modeling clearly shows it is superior.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

When I returned home from Europe and mustered out of the active Army, I took the bus from Ft. Dix to Charleston and picked up the car I had ordered through the PX 6 months before. It was a 1983 Trans Am, factory built to my specifications so it had all the options I wanted, including the interior and trim. Cliché alert, it was black with the gold bandit trim, Recaro seats, T-tops and the top of the line stereo. Being a Trans Am it had the WS6 suspension and beefed up brakes. It was carbureted rather than fuel injected as I had plans for it.

On the cross country trip from Charleston to Payette, on the Idaho/Oregon border, it drew a lot of attention, including from various state patrols, checking it out and following it. At a motel outside of Atlanta on the first day of the trip, another guest commented on my "Night Rider" car. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about at the time, never having heard of the show. I did some sight seeing on the way, taking most of a week to get home (I had made the trip the other way in my TR7 in 2 1/2 days)

When I got back to my home town, from the first day, every cop in the county was watching for me to do something. I could not pull out of the driveway with out a cop appearing seemingly from nowhere and following wherever I went. This even applied when I would cross the river into Ontario, Oregon.

When I found a job, I used some of my savings and ordered a Paxton supercharger, a set of Edelbrock heads with a cam kit, and headers for the stock 180 HP 5L engine. I took the car to the local hotrod shop and had everything installed and set up. When finished, the car had 320 horses when the supercharger was engaged. When I was checking on progress at the shop, the owner told me the cops had been in inquiring about what was being done to the car.

When I got the car back, the constant surveillance was even more extreme. I had to put up with it until I took a job with the Dallas Times Herald and moved to Texas.

In Texas I still found myself often being followed by police, just not nearly as much. The beauty of it all was that in the 5 years I owned the car, I never got a ticket for anything.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    El Tele Lobo and boris bubbanov like this.
  8. boris bubbanov

Yeah, Ironwolf, I think the police just don't have the manpower to do this anymore. They're trying to defend "soft targets" like kid's ball games and high school graduations. Some of this is because of 9/11. Some is due IMO to the advances in communication. My testimony is, "Speed Copping" as we knew it after the USA adopted the 55 mph limit, is dramatically down. When I do see a State Trooper out there, chances are he's changing a flat tire for an elderly lady in an old Buick or something.

I think Joe Walsh and Sammy Hagar must be heartbroken.

9. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I guess I wouldn't have argued with the Polizei too, especially in the early 80s when they were on high alert.
    but I wouldn't have paid it on the spot and let the case go to court. they'd have to put proof on the table that's probably worth questioning.
    how much was it?

10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The fine was 50 marks; one mark per KPH over. At the time that was between 25 and 30 dollars. Going to court would have cost a couple of thousand marks even if I had won, which in Germany was not likely for an American. The Polizei are always right.

Alamo likes this.
  11. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Making note to stay away from Munfordville KY. :eek:

12. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

13. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Geez, in Victoria, Australia, they ping you once you get 3 km/h over the limit.. I'm not in Victoria, otherwise I'd have no licence!

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Certified checks? :lol:

"Mail orders" ? :eek::D

"Cash?" :D

And above all "MAILED payments?" :lol::lol::lol:

Are you sure this isn't a ticket from 1960?

Hasn't the US discovered credit cards and electronic payments yet?

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  15. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

My last speeding ticket was a couple of years ago. I was coming home from a gig and dropping bass player off in town. We we're on a 55 mph country road, and coming into town is a short hill where limit drops to 35. Got nailed for doing 47 mph by a cop who looked like he should still be in school:rolleyes:

I ended up going to driving class, so the judge dropped the charge. Still had to pay court costs but didn't get any points.

You sure meet all sorts at driving classo_O

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You bet they are.
    I got a ticket for 10 EUR a few years back for doing 20 KPH in a 10 KPH school zone during the SUMMER (when schools were closed) .

On the other hand I prefer it from the chaos of Athens where red lights are just for show

17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Even during the summer holidays the schools are used as playgrounds and other activities. projects like music, theatre, cooking, knitting...whatever.
    I think you were let off easy. ;)

18. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

What are Bambi collisions?

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hit two deer.
    The first was about 3 years ago.
    The next was the following year.
    I drove for 43 years without hitting one, and they are everywhere here.
    I’m an animal lover, and I hate hurting them.
    Anyways, I gig all over central Texas.
    Gotta be careful!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas TDPRI Member

and that's if you can even read the signs at night! haha

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.