1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I got a new set of J/J tubes for my Deluxe reverb and I dont like them..any ideas?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Fangerpicker, Nov 16, 2008.

1. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

most anything would be an improvement on those – a lot of folks try them and think the HRDx is a crappy-sounding amp, but tube and speaker swaps really bring out the best in them.

2. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

Your tone description sounds like the JJ 6V6s to me. Somebody already mentioned that they tend to sound more like a 6L6 and I've heard the same thing from other sources as well as not liked the 6V6 in my own amps (Dr Z z28 excluded).

I've found the JJ 6V6 to be a bit harsh/brittle/sterile in all of my Fender 6V6 amps and have liked nearly any other power tube better. I've got several pairs of NOS tubes so I never kept any of the new stuff that I tried long enough to test the durability. The E-H sounded really nice in my Princeton Reverb once I found the proper bias setting.

3. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Fangerpicker, when I lived in Nashville I took all my amp issues to the Amp Doctor. That guy really knows his stuff. You should be able to find him in the nashville phone book.

4. reverberocket2

reverberocket2 Tele-Holic

I'd start by replacing the JJ 12Ax7 preamp tubes in V1 and V2 with EH 12Ax7. If that doesn't do it for you then I'd look at some different power tubes

5. nonvintage

nonvintage Tele-Holic

I've got a few NOS, well actually I use them so, UOS 6V6's. I've tried JJ and the new Tung sol 6V6's and the TS compares best with the Old tubes. JJ 6V6's will probably make your amp a little louder and cleaner before breakup which can be a good thing. That's why a lot of players compare them to a 6L6. For your gain stage preamp which would be V2 (the Vibrato channel) a UOS RCA would be cool and the new Tungsol 12ax7's are nice. For your reverb preamps (V3) get NOS Mullard CV4024's and for PI preamps (V6) get NOS Philips 12at7's.

6. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

I don't care for JJ preamp tubes (reliability issues and dark tone). The JJ 6V6 is a nice tube (the only current production I'd consider), but much more rigid/hard/clean/linear sounding than other 6V6s. It just doesn't bend as easily when you push it. There is a good chance they may not be the tube for you, however, I'd crank up the bias and see if you like them any better. These tubes should be able to handle 30mA or so in a typical 425V Deluxe Reverb without breaking a sweat.

7. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

So you replaced all of the tubes? I'd start by putting the Rubys back in and seeing how they sound with the new pre's.. Conversely, try the JJ power tubes with the old pre's.

+1

8. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

We have had good success with TungSol reissue 6V6 tubes. They are about the only good Power Tube that they make. We use them in a SFDR, VC, and a Fargen Black Bird. Otherwise we tend to use TAD and Svetlana for output tubes.
    Good Luck

9. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

I'll concur with some of the advice above that before you go off buying tubes, speakers etc., make sure all is well with the amp as a whole - try multiple tube combinations of the old and new tubes you have, have the amp biased a bit hotter (or colder) etc. etc.

As you can tell from the above, tube preference, like tone itself, is completely subjective. So it's really about 1) eliminating everything BUT the tubes from consideration and 2) testing tube combinations until you are happy.

Hope it all pans out

sd

10. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I agree with JohnS, I just converted a Peavey Pacer to a DR and used JJ 6V6's and to me they sound and function just like a 6L6. Bright, loud and clean. Of course classic fender clean is my favorite tone so I don't have any problem with it. Some of the sweeter breakup tones I've experianced are associated with lower plate voltages and NOS tubes.

11. kcp

kcp TDPRI Member

try some JAN Philips 6V6GT

12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm gonna go back a little further than a lot of people on here... You say the amp was biased... but at what setting? If it's a little cold, the JJs really won't get moving as much. They are a pretty strong tube and seem to be able to handle quite a bit of power! They sounded better to my ears runnigna little hotter. Though I do not run my DR as hot as Lance runs his with some older RCAs.

I have a set of JJs for my DRRI that I really like a lot. However, I do keep a set of RCA old stock tubes in it for my day to day playing. If I was gigging out on a regular basis, I'd keep the JJ's in it. They're much cheaper and the audience just isn't gonna hear the difference! I like the RCA's, just a hair more. Not hundreds of dollars more, but the fifty bucks I got this set for... works enough for me to justify it to myself.

I do like the JJ's much better than EH's. I find the EH's very stale and in the preamp locations I find them very limiting. I did not try Ruby's or Sovteks, sorry, cant give an opinon there.

I have a few RCA tubes (12AT's I think, I can't remember right off the top of my head and feel way to under the weather today to crawl over there behind my amp right this second) in a couple of spots in the preamp spots (reverb driver and inverter I think). They add a nice airiness. I also keep on in the Normal channel driver to give me a really, really clean sound. But, it's not sterile clean, more an organic and clean.

The RCA tubes and the JJs both seem to handle a decent amount of power in the biasing. And they both are very dynamic and 'airy' (for lack of a better term). When I was testing tubes, I used my tone deaf son's ears as a second opinion. I would put a set in, play some stuff, put another set in, bias it, play some stuff... we narrowed it down to the JJs and RCAs. The RCAs just barely edged out the JJs.

So, before buying more tubes, see what the bias settings were and if not too close to the hot range, try playing with that some. I think mine's sitting in the 25-26 range (again, it's been a while I cannot rembemr right off) and I belive Lance runs his 66 DR with RCAs around 32. I think JJs can easily handle that same 32 without issue.

Good lucka nd let us know how it goes,

13. Tremo

Tremo Banned

I agree that the JJ 6V6 likes to run a bit hotter than a "normal" 6V6.

14. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

+1, Even some EH 12AX7's in V1 & V2, should be an improvement over the JJ's.

15. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

+1 on the biasing.
    That makes a big difference. I use JJ's on my DRRI and love it, but I think the major difference from the stock ones is that now it's biased hotter.

16. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Yep. See if its the power or per amp tubes you don't like. If you like the 6v6's then try combos of preamp tubes and see if there is a combo you like. Maybe when you put the old power tubes back you still don't like it. MAybe its the new bias setup you don't like. Start eliminating variables.

17. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I replaced the Fender Groove tubes in my amp with Tung Sols, and I am very happy.

18. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Cold biasing could well be contributing here. The JJ power tubes do like it on the hot side, so if it were my amp I'd do that first. Along with (as mentioned earlier) some tube swapping in V1 and V2. Properly biased, the JJ power tubes would certainly sound good enough to serve as a baseline for other tube experiments. Personally, I've gotten the best results from pre-amp tube swapping, rather than power. Though both can be even better.

I have the JJ 6v6s in an old Gibson GA40. Cathode bias, gainy, brown sounding amp. They sound really good. The whole thing is a crapshoot. Tubes which sound perfect in one amp can be nowhere in the next.

19. mjb1967

mjb1967 Tele-Holic

I replaced my stock groove tubes with JJ Eurotubes in my HRDLX, and I do like em.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.