I get to pour into a young guitar player on Friday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nicely done. You are a Good Texan passing it on.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Thanks for the repory

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

This is pretty shortsighted. Ace may not have been a virtuoso but he had some pretty impressive moments and he inspired literally millions of kids to pick up the guitar. You should have just been happy he was into the first Kiss album and not Dynasty or anything that came after that. Would it have killed you to pick out Watchin' You, She or 100,000 Years for the kid? All are excellent examples of classic hard rock and have interesting and challenging lead solos.

I cut my teeth on that stuff when I was 9-13 some 40 plus years ago. Certainly I progressed past it. I'm guessing your relative will too.

Jakedog, awasson and bftfender like this.
  4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think you did an excellent job with the twins. I have looked at PRS guitars and honestly can’t tell the difference between the $800 and $4,000 ones. I have not played one though.

P Thought and TheGoodTexan like this.
  5. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Preaching to the choir, I know.

awasson, JeffBlue and TheGoodTexan like this.
  6. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I miscommunicated. I LOVE that he loves KISS. It's like a miracle. I sometimes read that kids have no interest in rock and here he is doing this. I bought him a Super Distortion for Christmas. So I apologize for being dismissive of it anyway.

He also listens to Dynasty and I let it pass.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    awasson and Floyd Eye like this.
  7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Nicely done!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  8. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

If only us mere mortals could manage that... :cool:

awasson likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It absolutely matters not which great guitar player sparks his musical passion... it matters what his musical passion sparks! The last thing the world needs is SRV number 9628578.
    What the worlds needs is new. Have him understand theres a “next step” that he must make his own... You can do nothing beyond that.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

suthol, kuvash and TheGoodTexan like this.
  10. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I think it’s a good idea to nurture what he’s interested in. Exposing him to new influences is a good idea but I’d keep it light. I think it’s easy to get overwhelmed when learning a new thing. If he’s 16 and trying to cop someone’s licks I’d say he’s normal. If he keeps pushing like you want to teach him he’ll be a fantastic guitar player someday.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  11. Tele66

Tele66 Tele-Meister

I'm never around any young people at all, but from the internet/news etc, it seems that the music and music makers of the 60's, 70's and 80's, that some of us hold in high regard, are cornball dinosaurs to anyone under 20. If they've even heard of them. It is great that you, the Texan and others are trying to nurture these young, fledgling players along. It is so cool that some kids are still interested in trying to make music without an app and us geezers need to do all we can to fan the flame without getting in their way. It's not about who they choose to follow, just that they choose to play and learn.

MickM and TheGoodTexan like this.
  12. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Couldn't have gone any better! OK, maybe you could push my book onto them.

13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

the solo to Deuce made me want to play guitar.. would lift the needle off the record over and over for it..

Floyd Eye likes this.
  14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

He's only sixteen, what are you pouring into him?

If he shows up wearing "the hat", you've got your work cut out for you.

15. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You done good, it sounds like, real good. What a fine thing!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Haha, nice! :)

I keep meaning to but have so many books already i have barely looked at...one day i will for sure!

17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:)

Larry, your book is one of my retirement projects. I've been elbowing my way into a room in our little house, have my stereo set up, some guitars hung, and music books unpacked from school, onto the shelves with the records. I'm hoping it becomes a half-decent studio for playing, listening, writing, and TDPRIing. 2,000 Blues Licks That Rock is out where I can see it now!

18. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Thanks, P. Has retirement occurred yet? Mine officially starts at the end of May. (I'm on disability until then.)

I'd recommend putting as much pain and desolation into the book as you can handle.

I have my own studio in a finished attic upstairs. A fairly large, if quite rectangular) room, where I compose, by play guitar, and dink around. What a blessing and refuge this has been for the past 20 years. I'm undertaking another periodic clean up period. Like many rooms, it looks best when relatively empty. Good for recording, BTW.

P Thought likes this.
  19. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I had a guitar mentor when I was around that age, perhaps a couple of years younger. He was a machinist at my father's workplace who played guitar, and I would see him occasionally during summers or school breaks. I was getting into Eddie Van Halen at this time, it was the late 80's and early 90's. He was a huge EVH fan and knew a bunch of his solos.

He had a huge impact on my musically, to this day, just by inspiring me to play to a higher level, teaching me a few things about working on guitars, and what not. He taught me how to finger tap the EVH stuff. He taught me to negotiate prices at Guitar Center (that was more of a thing back then.) He used to say that learning by tablature was "lame", and that "real musicians learn by ear". While this is of course very opinionated, he inspired me to do ear training, which has become a lifelong passion of mine. I am very grateful.

Just by sharing your wisdom, playing for the kids, letting them check out your gear, turning them onto some other artists, jamming with them, you can make a lasting difference. It's the natural way to learn. Kudos to you for taking the time.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  20. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Sounds you had a nice day ! Thanks for the cool story ! :)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.