I found out you really can't drink saltwater this morning.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Every once in a while, I will use salt water to gargle with, just to keep everything all shined up in there. Okay, this morning, I had a big dose of warm salt water with a LOT of salt in it. I thought, maybe I could be doing something else while I let this soak for a while. So, I logged onto the computer, and was perusing the stuff thereon when I felt a sneeze coming on. I thought I stifled it, but I didn't. I sneezed, but I still had the salt water in my mouth! I clamped down my lips to keep from spewing salt water all over my freshly cleaned carpet, just for a moment envisioning sardines covered in Louisiana hot sauce exploding out of my mouth. Then, I somehow gulped down a BIG slug of salt water!

I immediately realized that I could no longer breathe, and that I still had salt water in my mouth, and also had an irresistible urge to upchuck. I put my hand over my mouth and headed for the front bathroom and made it in time. After divesting myself of the salt water, every time I tried to breathe I made a sound like a seal in one of those little tanks at an oceanside curio shop. I simply could not draw air into my lungs, the salt had done something to close my air passages.

I frantically thought what to do? I thought, I've got to do it quick whatever it is, so I turned on the sink water spout, and cupped my hands and got a big dose of cold water, and somehow forced myself to swallow it, then another, and another. I felt relief almost immediately and drew in a great breath! I still sounded like a seal, but I could breath. (a little bit) This went on for a couple of minutes. I was then coughing and strangling for another ten to fifteen minutes. When someone tells you that drinking salt water can kill you, they're not talking a slow death, it will probably kill you posthaste. My wife who had not yet gotten up and around while this was happening, casually walked in after I had just avoided death by asphyxiation, and asked why are you making a noise like a seal silly boy?

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Noted!!!

nicknklv and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Close call, glad you made it!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oh yeah. Took a big swig myself once when surfing as I paddled out from the beach. Unexpected wave came up just as I was opening the mouth for some air and it went straight down. About 3-4 seconds of “oh crap....burp...” and an involuntary upchuck back up again. Chum for the strippers that might have been in the surf. I think I had a Philly cheesesteak that day. Hope they enjoyed it.

5. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Sardines are saltwater fish good job.:lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Hate to hear that, TD......but better you than me! ;)

Toto'sDad and Fretting out like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Oh my!

I’ve never had an instant effect like that

I know excess salt in the body is a no no and does many things other than just dehydrate
    Massive brain swelling is a big one

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

I feel almost exactly the same, with a slight variation.

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I actually envision myself dying in a way quite like this
    I’m only almost 30 but have survived the craziest things/incidents that should cripple or killed many times over (I think those times are done for now)

I figure as irony I will probably live into my 80’s then one day something completely innocuous like this will happen

I’ve actually joked with my father that it will probably be drinking a glass of water that takes me out

Just imagine all the stuff I’m sure you’ve gone through and in an instant a dang glass of salt water sticks it to you

Steerforth and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I am eating hot and sour soup right now.. it is so salty... and wonderful... choking is no fun.

11. Toto'sDad

Believe me, I couldn't believe what was happening to me. If I hadn't gotten some clean water down when I did, I think I would have been in serious trouble. You can't imagine how hard it was to swallow water, and not being able to breathe! Never in my life have I experienced not being able to pull air into my lungs if I wasn't in the water. I used to suffer from seasonal asthma and that was pretty scary, but this was an something entirely new for me. I ended up in the emergency room twice from that, and it wasn't as scary as what happened this morning. I haven't had an asthma attack in years. I didn't get it until I was in my early forties, then about ten years ago, it just started going away until it was gone. Not breathing, is pretty serious.

nojazzhere and Fretting out like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

I once read that Lee Trevino the golfer was deathly afraid of choking to death while eating. He would cut his food up into tiny bites and eat them very slowly. As gregarious as he appeared on tv, I would never have expected that of him.

rangercaster and Fretting out like this.
  13. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

29 years Navy...salt water-the bane of everything except sea life (and balanced body metabolism). Hated ingesting it when diving...tough to clear my throat underwater.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    boris bubbanov and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

A family I know who lives inland were taking their kids to the ocean for the first time. Along the drive dad was telling the kids about the beach and the ocean and all the fish and other critters that live in it...

They get to the beach all the kids were excited to go for a swim, the youngest dives in and comes up spluttering and spitting..

. says "Hey Dad!?, I think all those fish must have peed in the water"....:lol:

and dad, without fail, continues to bring up the story at family occasions, well into the kid's adulthood...:D

15. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You don't need salt water. plain water will do it.
    This may help ... if it happens again.

https://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=1947036

Pressure point is behind the earlobe.
    Also, a good thump on the back of the chest can help.
    If no-one is around running backwards into a wall (chest first) can have the same effect as a thump.

Toto'sDad and Ricky D. like this.
  16. trev333

the old Spock hold..;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

More like Darth Vader ... :twisted:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. trev333

We're on a 60' sail boat racing up the east coast, it's dark and stormy, Howie says he's going down below to make some coffee's for us....

at the sink there are two lift pumps, one for drinking water and one with sea water for general rinsing...

Here we are all lined up on the windward rail in full wet weather gear as the coffees get passed down the line... looking forward to a hot drink....

BLUURRKKK!!!..... howie used the saltwater to make the coffee by mistake....:eek::confused:...

it's a standing joke these days when howie asks if anyone wants a coffee?.. to respond with, I'll have mine without saltwater thanks...:lol:

19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

some people will do any thing for a CHUCKLE,
    glad your OK TD!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Use fireball whiskey, twice the alcohol as listerine, kills germs and you can swallow it... Fresh cinnamon breath too.

Toto'sDad and getbent like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.