I found one of these in my wood pile yesterday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Jul 25, 2019.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

the main difference between Lizards and snakes is that lizards have ears , there are at least 2 species of legless lizards called Glass lizards but they have ears other than that they look like snakes but have ears and eyelids, snakes cannot close their eyes , and hear only through vibration, to say that all snakes are cold blooded ( the correct term is ectothermic)is a missnomer, Pythons will suround their egg clutch and physically raise their body temperature some 8 degrees to help incubate the clutch also Pythons have cloacle spurs and a pelvic girdle either the reminence or the evolution of legs to be determined.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  2. 24 track

isnt it cool all the useless info one garners in the course of a life time ? yeah thats right :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

3. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I once found a decent size garter snake in my backyard when mowing. I didn't want to accidentally run over it so I thought I'd catch it and put it over the fence. I remember watching Steve Irwin on his show catching snakes by the tail, and he made it look easy. I thought I'd try that. Man, I chased that thing all over the backyard before I finally got it. It sure isn't as easy as he made it look. He was headed for the fence, so he was going where he needed to, but by that time it was a challenge I had to meet, so I finally got hold of his tail before he could get away under the fence. Once I got him I lifted him over the fence, right where he was headed anyway. Silly of me, perhaps, but I just had to catch him.

I haven't seen any garter snakes around here in years, but I have seen some good sized black snakes and chicken snakes.

24 track likes this.
  4. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Lots of food (small rodents)?

24 track likes this.
  5. 24 track

I had an unusual amount of mice enter the garage this year but I was able to dispatch them with out issue , I dispize hurting them needlessly but a 28 day jestation period and 6-8 to a litter is crazy, kind of like fighting an army of orcs.

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Lucky you. Round here 'found in wood pile' usually means scorpions or some sort of spider.

24 track likes this.
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I believe that people in my neighborhood are very sheltered. No spiders or snakes or big bears of ant natural frightening things. Another thing is that we have no personality when we speak. We are the most boring part of the USA.

Wis CON sin.

24 track likes this.
  8. 24 track

there were a few spiders some wolf and black widows but as long as they are outside i'm fine , in the house , "well if they aint payin rent ...eviction by force , or extreme prejuduce" I just take them for granted

9. 24 track

how was the dog? is it OK

10. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

As far as I know, there are no poisonous snakes in RI. Mostly garters and Black Racers. I leave 'em alone. The Racers eat small rodents, so I'm happy to see them. I'm in the country, so mice are always a problem.

24 track likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Garter Snakes :
    Their diet consists of almost any creature they are capable of overpowering: slugs, earthworms (nightcrawlers, as red wigglers are toxic to garter snakes), leeches, lizards, amphibians (including frog eggs),minnows, and rodents. Food is swallowed whole.
    Venom
    Garter snakes were long thought to be nonvenomous, but discoveries in the early 2000s revealed they do, in fact, produce a neurotoxic venom. Despite this, garter snakes cannot kill humans with the small amounts of comparatively mild venom they produce, and they also lack an effective means of delivering it. They do have enlarged teeth in the back of their mouths, but their gums are significantly larger, and the secretions are only mildly toxic.

24 track likes this.
  12. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Only thing I ever found in the woodpile was a jug of my cousins special reserve he made himself . And then forgot where he hid it:lol::lol::twisted:

24 track likes this.
  13. 24 track

I bet that had a bite worse than a rattler, ......did you cover it up and leave it alone? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

14. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I may have been young and quite foolish at the time:rolleyes:

24 track likes this.
  15. 24 track

I have been bitten by gatrers with no reaction ( swelling or redness ) the female tegu bit right through my finger nail but I had a Q tip in my hand at the time so she never broke the skin , the Savanah got me across my hand and for 3 days I had a swollen left hand at the bite mark no ill effects , monitors especially big ones command respect and lots of it ,

I never ever handled them if I had been drinking, you never knew what form of bacteria they predigested their food with

16. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

Bet if you spent some time in Indiana you'd think Wisconsin was a real adrenaline rush. There are at least 2 reasons why Indianapolis is called "Naptown."

24 track likes this.
  17. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I have quite a few garden snakes around the yard.

24 track likes this.
  18. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

We have a ton of skinks on our new property. I had no idea they lived in MD. They're all over the place.

There was a huge Northern water snake basking on our deck when the cleaning crew was here before we moved in. They sent a video to my wife and really freaked her out. They were scared, but I could tell it was harmless. It fled as soon as it saw them, and I haven't seen a snake on the property since.

24 track likes this.
  19. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Had one of these living in the wood pile back in the 1960s but he vanished and hasn't been seen since.

[​IMG]

kafka and 24 track like this.
  20. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Yeah, just a swollen face for a few days. Started her on benadryl immediately and took her to the vet the next morning. She's good as new. Thankfully, copperhead venom isn't too bad, comparatively, and they don't always inject a full load of venom, and often dry bite.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.