1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I found one of these (Alembic) in my case compartment, possible Tele mod, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jazzerclean, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

PSX_20201021_185826.jpg I was wondering about possible uses for this in my Telecaster as I don't play my 1974 Strat anymore (may end up selling it). Wondering if anyone has adapted one themselves.

Anyway while looking in the Strat's case large accessory storage compartment through all the original case candy, cleaning cloths, original fender strap, vibrato arm, Frnder warranty card, an original packet of 1970's Fender Super Bullet strings, I found this wrapped in a cloth in a plastic bag (or more re-discovered) a mid to late 1970's Alembic Preamp (back then called a Stratoblaster). It is a jack plate with a preamp circuit underneath replaces the oval Strat jack plate.

I have had the guitar a long long time and I completely forgotten that I had this Alembic preamp, although I now recall gigging the Strat with it in and the wall of sound I achieved through my 1977 100w Marshall JMP head & 4x12. It was all the rage back then to install one of these as I did to beef up the relatively low output Fender 70's pickups. I vaguely recall putting the original jack plate back in in the 90's and must have put the Alembic Preamp in the case and forgot about it for 30 years until now. I hooked it up the other day and it works perfectly and oh wow, I had forgotten what a huge difference it makes.

Any thoughts? View attachment 777026

Edit:
    Thanks everyone who have contributed to this discussion. As always, each of your experience, thoughts, knowledge & ideas is invaluable. Seems to have gained quite a bit of interest in this "Blast from the Past" sorry, I couldn't resist that one (& so, so lame, I'm almost proud) :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  2. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

I don't know where you could fit that on a Tele without chopping it up.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe if you modify the control plate. You could still get a volume and tone control if you use a concentric pot.

Maguchi and Jazzerclean like this.
  4. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yes, that's my thought too, the preamp circuit board/switch would need to come off the plate and its only the switch that secures it all to the plate as the switch is soldered to the small circuit board, the parts (switch/circuit board) are fairly small and it would be reversible if i wanted to put it back to original later on.

5. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Maybe carefully dismantle and house it in a stomp box instead of trying to squeeze it into your tele. Much more usable and versatile imho.

6. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Now that's a good idea, hadn't crossed my mind to use it externally, tks.

63telemaster likes this.
  7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

The original application.

Interesting!!

:)

[​IMG]

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I think it’s neat.
    I’ve never seen or heard of such.
    I agree that it would be a great idea to turn it into a stomp box.
    It could be used with all your guitars and no telecasters would be harmed in the making of those sounds.

9. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yes, that's like mine, does sound good too.

10. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

These were very popular with strat players in the 70's. I guess the only drawback is these are somewhat sought after now and being a fully working vintage item, i will have to give the stomp box some thought first.

11. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Also, there is a tiny hole below the switch for adjusting the gain trim pot from unity level with the switch up, to adjustable higher gain level with down the switch down. Its perfect for pushing the amp or as a boost for solos,

tubegeek likes this.
  12. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

I’d say don’t do it. Back then, onboard effects like boost and pre-amps were a popular sales gimmick, but kinda faded away.
    Try some different pedals instead.

13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Geez that is ugly on there!

I’d mount it on a standard Tele plate and drill and extra hole between the pots for the small switch. The. Use the existing Tele Jack so the original Tele plate holes could be used for volume and tone. I assume it takes a 9v battery? I would not hesitate to route a cavity for the battery under the pickguard on a non MIA Tele or partscaster.

mexicanyella likes this.
  14. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Yes, or maybe go to mini pots and pup selector, see what kind of room you could make in the control cavity.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 get a replacement Tele control plate and mount the switch+ into that, leaving the Tele jack area stock.

There is usually sufficient space between a Tele volume and tone pot to easily accommodate another toggle switch. Then if you get tired of it later just swap the original control plate back in and resolder and you're good to go.

Jazzerclean and tubegeek like this.
  16. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

@Jazzerclean

I'd love to see a pic of the back, and of the circuit board if it's not too much trouble please?

What kind of collectible value does it have now?

Alembic was such an innovative company. Way ahead of its time.

Jazzerclean and telemnemonics like this.
  17. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Jazzerclean likes this.
  18. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I remember Jerry Garcia used one on his stratocaster, but I have not played with one myself. If I stumbled across one, I would try and mount one in an inexpensive aftermarket body and put together a Tele using strat pickups(an application that I like anyway)and see what comes of it.

scook, Pierce and Jazzerclean like this.
  19. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

The Lowell George thang. Oh man....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.