I found a Tick on me!

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
I found a Tick on me yesterday..on my testicle! I felt a little bump and took a look, which was difficult because it was on the bottom of my testicle, and I saw a tiny black spot...very small. I didn't know what it was, but tried to pull it off but couldn't. Then this morning I was able to pull it off and was looking at it...it was now the size of a sesame seed. Then it started moving! I took a picture of it then killed it. No residual problems now, though Not cool though

Be careful out there!

Tele_vox_blsjr

TDPRI Member
Don’t get Lyme disease lol, it sucks real bad

Side note: undoing your belt and spraying tick spray down your pants helps, they want to find warm areas to hide, so getting your boxers and thigs too is a good idea.

TeleTucson

Friend of Leo's
I found a Tick on me yesterday..on my testicle! I felt a little bump and took a look, which was difficult because it was on the bottom of my testicle, and I saw a tiny black spot...very small. I didn't know what it was, but tried to pull it off but couldn't. Then this morning I was able to pull it off and was looking at it...it was now the size of a sesame seed. Then it started moving! I took a picture of it then killed it. No residual problems now, though Not cool though

Be careful out there!

That would drive me nuts. ;) That size is almost certainly a deer tick, the carrier of Lyme disease, so keep your eyes peeled for a few days to look for things like the classic ring-shaped rash around the bite. Not so common in your neck of the woods, but quite common in the mid-Atlantic and northeast.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
A doctor can prescribe an antibiotic like Doxycycline as a prophylactic for lyme. I've been bitten so frequently over the years that my PC doctor does it over the phone when I call and tell them I've been bitten. Just one big doxycycline pill and it's done. I believe it's effective if taken within 72 hours of removing the tick..

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Keep your pants on when you roll about in the grass.

Rule #1: Don't sit down in the woods.

Behind my high school there was a very large protected conservation area. Like, more than 40 acres. As one might imagine, us teenagers would skip class and head back there to smoke ree... uh, be with nature, and to practice our night moves.

Anyway, this couple was back there one day, enjoying their youth, less than fully clothed. Well about 2 days later they were both not in attendance. It quickly got around that they both had a full body case of poison ivy.

Brad Pittiful

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Next time, don't tear it off. Their head could come off in your skin. Light a match, blow it out, and touch it to their butt. They will let go, so you can easily remove it.

I grew up in GA. Removing ticks from my dog (and myself) was a frequent task.

How to remove a tick​

1. Use clean, fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin’s surface as possible.
  2. Pull upward with steady, even pressure. Don’t twist or jerk the tick; this can cause the mouth-parts to break off and remain in the skin. If this happens, remove the mouth-parts with tweezers. If you cannot remove the mouth easily with tweezers, leave it alone and let the skin heal.
  3. After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol or soap and water.
  4. Never crush a tick with your fingers. Dispose of a live tick by
    • Putting it in alcohol,
    • Placing it in a sealed bag/container,
    • Wrapping it tightly in tape, or
    • Flushing it down the toilet

Avoid folklore remedies such as “painting” the tick with nail polish or petroleum jelly, or using heat to make the tick detach from the skin. Your goal is to remove the tick as quickly as possible–not waiting for it to detach.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Geesh.... I've been bitten by ticks a lot in my life, but never anywhere down there!!! Wow. As others have said, I'd get checked by a Dr. just to be safe. If it was a deer tick, you need to be careful of the nasty lyme. I wouldn't take any chances, especially down there! :eek:

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Thanks for the reminder of why I don’t miss the prairies. They say there are ticks here, but I’ve never seen one. When I worked in Whiteshell Provincial Park in Manitoba, I had to do a full-body tick check at the end of every work day. I found them more often than I didn’t. And yes, they like to find nooks and crannies.