I found a quote that puts into words my feeling about metal lyrics.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Malcolm "Scruff" Lewty, guitarist and vocalist of Hellbastard, describes the distinction between metal and crust punk lyrics "Metal lyrics were so dumb, so far removed from daily life. Venom were going on about Satan... and bikes... and Satan... and women... and Satan! You know what? I never got up in the morning and said, '**** yeah! Satan! Let's go and meet my disciples from Hell!' I'd switch on the TV and know I was going to see hundreds of people dying because there'd been an earthquake in the third world... and all these people starving to death while military expenditure still increased... That was — and still is — the reality of it. The whole heavy metal thing is just an escape from reality, into this other world of... well, ******** basically."
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzming.jpg

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
From the Peace Sells video: "[ANGRY DAD] What is this garbage you're watching?! I wanna watch the news! ... [KID SWITCHES BACK TO METAL] This *IS* the news!".

There's plenty of metal not doing Satan or bikes(and in Venom's case, don't forget women and drugs as well).
For every Dio and King Diamond there's a Nuclear Assault or a Megadeth or earlier Metallica.

Personally now...
I'd much rather read unfathomable lyrics than have the latest headlines rubbed in my face to the accompaniment of riffs.
I'd like to quote Stephen King here from one of his many many forewords or breakages of the 4th wall: "Reality can take a flying phuque on a rolling doughnut".

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
From the Peace Sells video: "[ANGRY DAD] What is this garbage you're watching?! I wanna watch the news! ... [KID SWITCHES BACK TO METAL] This *IS* the news!".

There's plenty of metal not doing Satan or bikes(and in Venom's case, don't forget women and drugs as well).
For every Dio and King Diamond there's a Nuclear Assault or a Megadeth or earlier Metallica.

Personally now...
I'd much rather read unfathomable lyrics than have the latest headlines rubbed in my face to the accompaniment of riffs.
I'd like to quote Stephen King here from one of his many many forewords or breakages of the 4th wall: "Reality can take a flying phuque on a rolling doughnut".
That Stephen King quote is a variation on a phrase Kurt Vonnegut wrote. “Why don’t you go take a flying ____ at a rolling donut”.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Malcolm "Scruff" Lewty, guitarist and vocalist of Hellbastard, describes the distinction between metal and crust punk lyrics "Metal lyrics were so dumb, so far removed from daily life. Venom were going on about Satan... and bikes... and Satan... and women... and Satan! You know what? I never got up in the morning and said, '**** yeah! Satan! Let's go and meet my disciples from Hell!' I'd switch on the TV and know I was going to see hundreds of people dying because there'd been an earthquake in the third world... and all these people starving to death while military expenditure still increased... That was — and still is — the reality of it. The whole heavy metal thing is just an escape from reality, into this other world of... well, ******** basically."
View attachment 906391
Is he suggesting that crust punk lyrics are superior because they are relevant to daily life? This, from people who resent bathing?
I don’t have any skin in the game; most lyrics are easily critiqued. People use music in different ways. Sometimes, simply as a mental exfoliant.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
The lyrics are the least of my problems with most metal.

To be fair though most music of all genres is mediocre. Picking on metal isn't necessarily fair - but they're an easy target.

I once saw an article with the title WHY IS METAL NOT TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY THE MAINSTREAM?

Some questions answer themselves.

162f3e38e4fc986c0fb729c334f85b6e25cca326bd42be5fd39d32a5e87cbdc2_1.jpg

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
View attachment 906391
I thought Satan would have better outfits for his groupies.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

Personally now...

Stephen King? Check out Anyhrax’s early lyrics. Scott Ian was a Stephen King freak!
I think saying any genres lyrics are all about this or that is pretty narrow but I get where you’re coming from.
Ps Anthrax’s newer stuff is fantastic! As a matter of fact a lot of older metal bands have fantastic modern albums. Surprises me too.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Stephen King? Check out Anyhrax’s early lyrics. Scott Ian was a Stephen King freak!
I think saying any genres lyrics are all about this or that is pretty narrow but I get where you’re coming from.
Ps Anthrax’s newer stuff is fantastic! As a matter of fact a lot of older metal bands have fantastic modern albums. Surprises me too.

Yeah, I've noticed!
Among the Living and Misery Loves Company.
Probably something else as well which I've missed.

As a matter of fact a lot of older metal bands have fantastic modern albums.

Yeah! For instance, this thing:

513675.jpg

MrCairo46

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 906391

Ping,
I always enjoy your posts, you remind me of Andy Rooney.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yeah, I've noticed!
Among the Living and Misery Loves Company.
Probably something else as well which I've missed.

Yeah! For instance, this thing:

513675.jpg
Exactly! Great album!
Have you heard of Primal Fear? The singer was in the runoff to replace Halford when he left. He didn’t make it but started Primal Fear. They live in the realm of this album so if you like this…

Larry Mal

Tele-Meister
Heavy metal basically sucks and always has. I'm not saying there isn't some good stuff- very little. For the most part, though, it's just aggressive music made for and played by adolescent males and reflects the concerns of such.

How good is it going to be, really?

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
Heavy metal basically sucks and always has. I'm not saying there isn't some good stuff- very little. For the most part, though, it's just aggressive music made for and played by adolescent males and reflects the concerns of such.

If someone is in the mood to hear something aggressive then it’ll be a much better choice than listening to Sandy Denny.

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Most music basically sucks and always has. I'm not saying there isn't some good stuff- very little. For the most part, though, it's just aggressive music made for and played by adolescent males and reflects the concerns of such.

Fixed it for ya.