1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I fixed up another banger of mine.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It was in late 2016 that I made this crazy guitar out of strips of leftover wood.
    stripes 1.jpg
    It's made from four pieces of maple, four pieces of mahogany, two pieces of alder which I dyed black and a center piece of Oak. Likewise, the tuners are contrasting. Initially it didn't even have a lacquered coating.

But after a few months I decided that I didn't like the way it sounded and I also didn't like the way it began to look all dirty, so I applied some slightly yellowed stained matte lacquer. And I moved the bridge rail pickup to the neck and put a full size Humbucker at the bridge.
    stripes 2.jpg
    Which worked much better but as you probably can make out, it had terrible orange peel going on and the seems between the layers of wood started to show.

I couldn't find a picture of the in between but I also had an issue with the bridge which was a Fender string spacing on a guitar which was to all purposes a Gibson, so I doweled the neck, glued it in permanently and fitted a wrap around tail piece.

I used it in that guise with the Nirvana tribute until the guys told me that it sounded "Too classic rock." and told me to use my strats instead. After which I hung it on the wall and basically forgot that I owned it at all.
    gtrs.JPG
    At some moment in time I also put a Seymour Duncan Humbucker in there, I have no idea which one, the ID on the bottom of the pickup has long since gone and I also for the life of me can't remember where I got that pickup from.

So it hung on my wall for a while, derelict, neglected.

Until a few days ago, when I decided to show the girl some love.
    DSC02540.JPG
    Whoops, I see now that I put on the Trussrod cover crooked.

So what did I do?
    I sanded the body smooth, added several layers of Acryl based rattle can varnish, sanded that smooth and buffed it to a shine. The pictures don't do it justice unfortunately but you have to believe me on how much better it looks.
    DSC02541.JPG
    I also replaced the wrap around tail with a full Tune-o-matic and stop bar.

DSC02542.JPG
    This picture shows the shine from the gloss coating the best.

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

How does it sound with that humbucker in it?

It is a cool looking guitar.

3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

This sounds stupid. Ironically, the girls that they are likely trying to impress- whether explicitly or not- of bar scene age (ages 21-28) largely consider Nirvana to be classic rock.

It’s a very cool guitar.

bigbean likes this.
  4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That thing looks like it plays like a caged animal!
    Well done!!!

5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The fact remains that a Fender with a Humbucker added IS the Nirvana sound, both Kurt and Pat played strats modified like that. And our intention was to emulate that sound as close as we could.

6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looks great

7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.