I FIXED A GUITAR FAULT THAT COULDN'T BE FOUND AT THE REPAIR SHOP.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
The bridge piezo on my Godin Multiac Steel wasn't working, the neck pickup was fine, so also was the synth output
1654724010509.png
1654724343746.png

The guitar has 6 individual piezo pickups; one per string and 3 outputs, neck pickup, 13 pin for synth and the bridge piezo.

It went into a repair shop and the luthier couldn't find the fault, neither could their electronics guy. My only option was to pick it up a week later and wait for a slot in few weeks time for a deeper dive by their electronics guy to test the piezo pickups and the preamp. I was to expect to have to order either a new preamp, new piezo pickups or both.
Not a very cheap option. ££££s

It dawned on me this evening while getting ready to watch the Scotland football game on TV that I should check the 9v battery connection. My reasoning was the neck pickup doesn't use battery power and neither does the synth because it supplies phantom power so if they were working it might just be the power from the battery is not reaching the piezo preamp.

I snipped the old 9v connector off, spliced in a new 9volt battery connector, from a pack I bought years ago for some kids toy repairs. (£10 for 3 from Mr Bezos) It took 10 minutes...
1654725149013.png
...and I gave it a try, using the same battery.

It worked!!!

Sometimes it's the simplest faults that are the hardest to find.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
And Scotland won 2-0, so a good day all round!!
I like Steve Clarke but he should have played Ralston last week, the boy has had a great season for his club.
5 goals and 9 assists from right back when he was second choice for a good part of the last season is good going.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Troubleshooting is a skill that gets overlooked too often.
Good sleuthing on your part. Congratulations on getting your guitar back on line