I find this comical and tragic at the same time

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
Reminds me of when I went to a small restaurant for lunch. Mom, Dad and two kids all at the table staring into their phones. Of course, we've all seen that, multiple times. Probably one of the many things to the breakdown of discourse.

I'm thankful I got to experience the times I did without so much of this crap. But I wish it was a time, space and peace others could still, as well.

I know you have better examples than this pic, so post 'em!

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
Reminds me of when I went to a small restaurant for lunch. Mom, Dad and two kids all at the table staring into their phones. Of course, we've all seen that, multiple times. Probably one of the many things to the breakdown of discourse.

I'm thankful I got to experience the times I did without so much of this crap. But I wish it was a time, space and peace others could still, as well.

I totally get this. Time moves fast, I think actually getting to know your parents a little is a treasure of life...

I think these phones have sort of pacified us into living in our own little worlds. Granted these phones are amazing. If I ever have kids I'll probably be the annoying dad vying for attention.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Phones aren’t all negative, even from a family perspective. My wife and I FaceTime’d with the grandkids through the pandemic. We have a 39 year old mama’s boy living in NYC who calls 10 times a day. Sometimes I wish his phone would die. TDPRI is a few taps away. We all know we waste too much time here. But we’re either in control of technology or we let it control us.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter

wut pic

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I find that I've been socializing less and less during the past few years due to varying circumstances. When I do stop at a friend's house or if they stop here, the phone has priority. At a friend's house recently, he and two others were shooting bull and indulging in medicinal smokeables and some drinks. While I haven't indulged in either one for a few years I don't care if they do until they want to drive.
I started to leave after 15 minutes and when asked why, I just told them it was nothing personal but it looked like a phone fest. Somebody would start a conversation and within a minute or two, heads drop to read a text,maybe two at a time or somebody gets a call.
Unless somebody is sick or might be in trouble(calls 3 or 4 times quickly) I let my phone go to voicemail and pay full attention to my host/s or guests. I doubt that I am alone in these instances but is this behavior the newish normal?

Doctor of Teleocity
9C65A678-CB03-41D8-A79F-397049F70859.jpeg

This is what happens at the holiday get togethers, haha.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
when we go out to dinner, my wife takes a picture of us with a drink and when our dinner comes and maybe dessert. But the rest of the meal, is just us talking etc. When we have our kids, same. Extended family, same. Dinner with family at home, no phones, just talking.

We do see people in restaurants doing what has been described. Who knows why. We have one little nephew who we suspect is in some way autistic. His dad tries to impose (from pressure from his mom, the boy's grandma) the no devices thing, but EVERYONE breathes a sigh of relief once he can go back to his iPad.

What I have noticed about him is that he'll play for awhile then get intrigued by us laughing etc and he'll return to the table and ask what is happening and then engage (some)

I think content is king. If you have something of value to share, people will probably pay attention, if you don't, well, step it up.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Phones aren’t all negative, even from a family perspective. My wife and I FaceTime’d with the grandkids through the pandemic. We have a 39 year old mama’s boy living in NYC who calls 10 times a day. Sometimes I wish his phone would die. TDPRI is a few taps away. We all know we waste too much time here. But we’re either in control of technology or we let it control us.

Wait - are you saying TDPRI on your phone? OMG not a chance in Hades. ;)

Then again, I have started to absolutely detest having a cell phone. This is mostly because of work though - we are forced to have one, forced to carry it around with us at all times, forced to always be available, and they want us to install the "company software" on it - but we don't even get a stipend. Yeah, my phone, my choice. (Sorry for appropriating that phrase...)

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Wait - are you saying TDPRI on your phone? OMG not a chance in Hades.

Then again, I have started to absolutely detest having a cell phone. This is mostly because of work though - we are forced to have one, forced to carry it around with us at all times, forced to always be available, and they want us to install the "company software" on it - but we don't even get a stipend. Yeah, my phone, my choice. (Sorry for appropriating that phrase...)
Then again, if I could type on a phone, that might be different. I have a hard time with that, and need different glasses than I use on a computer or for driving, so it rarely happens.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I think content is king. If you have something of value to share, people will probably pay attention, if you don't, well, step it up.
One thing to be aware of is that folks on the spectrum tend to have very narrow interests and it can be difficult to keep them engaged in social activities. But it’s worth trying.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

I have to agree 100% with this sentiment, but I WILL say I've seen families sitting together at a table (often older couples) where they don't appear to exchange three words all evening WITHOUT A CELLPHONE IN SIGHT. Personally, I can carry on a limited conversation while eating, but I'd just as soon not continuously yap away while chewing and swallowing. Has the Heimlich ever been performed on someone who was NOT trying to talk with food in their mouths? :):):)