1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I finally learned how to cure my gas

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Twang Deluxe, May 2, 2019.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Since I'm on Tdpri I bought each year a new guitar and I became more and more afraid of GAS.

Last week I visited a Guitar store where nearly every guitar i checked had a bad setup and old rusty strings.

I played 8 different guitars (Tele, Strat, Jaguar, Les Paul, Danelectro...) and I was always dissatisfied and they never sounded like on the youtube videos of the influencers. There was just nothing magical about those guitars, so I left the store without buying anything. And now I'm happy with my old mexican Telecaster :).

I'm really thankful for this crappy guitarstore. I will always go there when I start dreaming of a new guitar

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Flaneur, Digital Larry, brogh and 9 others like this.
  2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I was GASing somewhat for a new Fender 62 Princeton Reissue. I went to the local store to check one out. Plugged a Tele in, poor setup and out of tune, kept the volume low to not annoy the store and other shoppers.

Needless to say, I haven't thought much about it since.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Best way to cure GAS is to let it out.

This advice works in more than one situation.

This advice may also get you in trouble with your spouse in any situation.

Twang Deluxe and TeleBrew like this.
  4. 8livesleft

8livesleft TDPRI Member

One way is to do what you did and be happy with what you've got.

The other is to just go for gold. That is, if your "grail" is a Gibson LP Custom, or some other top of the line item, then don't waste your time with an Ibanez, Epi, LTD, Washburn, Agile, Chibson etc etc...because it really will never end.

That said, I'm THIS close to buying a Japan Lawsuit LP or an Epi but I think I'll just wait until I've got enough to just get a Gibson Custom or Standard in black.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

5. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I like alka-seltzer.

Shuster likes this.
  6. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

I cured guitar gas by buying a leica camera. I can't buy anything for a year now!

7. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

My GAS has gone from guitars to pedals to picks. I think it’s a good direction and so does my wallet. Not as much as you might think, though. I got hooked on a 4.1 mm V Pick on a whim, and now I’m keeping Vinny over there in lunch money by going back for more and more of his variations. Fun stuff, once you realize the undeniable variation in tone that picks give you. It really is incredible. Haven’t caught an amp bug yet, but I know it’s coming. So far the variations I can get from my 18-pedal board through my Orange 35RT has been plenty to keep me busy.

Flaneur likes this.
  9. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

The 68 Princeton reissue or the Chris Stapleton one? Sounds like you didn't really try.

10. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Stapleton, and yes thats exactly my point. Im sure its a great amp.

11. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

When I first went LP shopping I ended up with an SG. The price was really just too good to ignor . Came with 490/498 pickups, a good set, and the guitar is really nice. But after awhile it just wasn't a LP. So a couple years later i finally got my LP. Fifty Seven Classics and all. Awesome sounding and playin . So in the end i ended up with two really great guitar . Yup, GAS attacks can work like that

12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I am with you on this Twang. Countless times I've headed out to check some likely guitar candidate or other. Usually not to GC type stores ... at little vintage joints, neighborhood places, or to private sellers. And then realize (yet again) just how good the guitars already at my house really are.

There are exceptions of course. But more often than not, guitar shopping leads to greater appreciation for the gear I'm lucky enough to have now.

Happened yesterday. Out cruising Eastman hollowbodies. Always looking for high quality hollowbodies that don't cost a fortune. Tried some nice ones too. Yet the whole time all I could think about was this old Guild X50 at home. Best way to reconnect with a good guitar is to think you need another one. Or play it that one last time before putting it up for sale ...

Kitarkus and Digital Larry like this.
  13. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

For several years now (with a couple of exceptions) I've been taking lessons with the money I used to spend on equipment. When I got "pretty good" I went and found a better teacher who showed me that I was not, in fact pretty good at all, but he helped me make steady progress in becoming less awful.

My walls are covered with my efforts to find that special guitar that would make me better. It doesn't exist.

14. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

It hasn't really been an LP since the early 60's ;):lol:

15. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I did the same thing today. Went to check out a Strat in a local store that just didn’t do it for me. But they had this Taylor, and.........

16. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

Digestive enzymes have worked wonders for my gas.

Jimmy Dean likes this.
  17. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Glad you sorted it, but watch out .. it can come back very heavely :D

I tamed mine by concentrating on playing and finally realizing it's not always about the gear you have, good guitar, good amp can get you going for years :)

From time to time as any of us i have a little "gas attack", but i learned to cope with it.

Play !!

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  18. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Beano?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.