1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I finally have a pedal board after 20 years, check it out :)

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by ?????, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

I've picked up a few average pedals along the way. Set up is always a hassle at shows, and now I am trying to work as a lead player instead of the front. Being that I am the employee now, instead of the employer, I figured it's about time to start being more professional... HA HA HA, at least I'll look like it

Anywho, I started it all by doing the pedals on posterboard a few months ago. (That got thrown away recently) None of the big names make anything near the right dimensions. They all stop at 12 or 16 inches on the depth, and I needed at least 18. Trailer Trash, while worth the money, is just TOO much for my proposed budget of less than $200. And, to boot, I didn't want to have a flat board. Oh, you can find those for cheap, but I didn't care for it.

I had Home Depot chop me a deck @ 28" X 18" out of birch. I then laid out my velcro (both sides stuck together, male stuck to board). Then sprayed the typical flat black. Yes, the backing was still on the female velcro. This was partially because I didn't want to stick velcro to paint.

Then came the layout. I placed the pedals (without sticking velcro to the pedal backs) and marked clearance holes for the sends and receives for Each pedal. Then drilled. Then stuck velcro...

This is where the signal chain fell apart... on paper at least.

My whole "theory" was to keep things in the right order until I realized that I was just another wannabe rockstar and didn't know the first thing about actual Rock music, LOL!!!! (Basically, all I had to do was rearrange for what I felt was the most efficient way of placing stuff... Which I though I had already done)

Then cut cables, solder plugs and so on and so on....

But, before I jinx myself, this DIY from hell is not complete just yet, I have the guts to wire up....

I got all these crazy ideas about running wet and dry signals and this that and the other. Until I found Road Rage Pro Gear, I was actually going to by the 3PDT switches and hard wire a looper to the front of the board... LOOPMASTER has a 12 week turn around according to their site... And, just like every other long haired hippy lead guitar player, I want it NOW!!!!

So, without the guts or looper or the (insert color here) painted sides, here she is. I only charge $500 for a complete job :)

Attached Files:

2. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

And some more.....

Attached Files:

3. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

Nice clean work!

4. Bunnion

Bunnion TDPRI Member

Well done. It reminds me of the Moog pedals with the wood sides and black top. A look I'm partial to. FWIW, I've always preferred my loopers in pedal form as opposed to board mounted, easier for me to add/subtract pedals down the road.

5. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

Thanks for the compliments. I actually thought hard about your idea of looking like a Moog. Sad thing about that is the small gaps on the corner joints and having to fill them with something. That would show through... Damn. I may just have to look into some veneer.. I'm still under my $200 budget by a few bucks.

Oh, sources for all the parts was mostly OCS http://www.speakerrepair.com

I used TRS jacks for all the sends and recieves. They were out of TS and I figured what the hey...

For all the jacks - 40 right angle trs's; 10 straight ts's; 4 Panel Mount locking 1/4's; and 1 Panel Mount XLR + shipping was $105.

6. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

More pics coming :) Though I liked the Moog thing, loved it really, I found some old grandma curtain fabric at our local hobby store... for $15 big ol' dollars... Check it out!!!

7. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Well done, that thing looks great!

8. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

PB Build

PICS

Attached Files:

9. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

pics

Attached Files:

10. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

more pics

Attached Files:

11. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

few more

Attached Files:

12. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

Yeah, it's been a lot more work than I imagined, but I can honestly say this: Next time I make one, I'll be getting paid BIG BUCKS to do it. What a headache!!! But dammit, effin cool as hell. And, finding the Road Rage Switcher @ www.prymaxe.com was a life saver. Those guys even have 1-3 day priority shipping for free.

Next project is a do-hickey at the end of the signal chain. The 410 Deville has 2 inputs. I've been wanting a wet and dry signal (like track doubling with effects on one and clean on the other). I know the inputs on the amp are different volumes (relative to one another), but I'm guessing I'll compensate with volume controls on the "switcher" I am going to build.

If anyone has any clue about something like this, I don't, input would be awesome.

So far I am guessing I am just going to use a Volume Pot wired inline with each signal and adjust from their. I'm almost positive it would be prudent to have a polarity switch on one of the signals, Justin Case. Am I on the right track?

13. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

Oh, and I finally realized the "Burnt Fingers" thing, LOL!!!! My family (kids mostly) would always ask "Whats wrong," when a string of profanities escaped my mouth... That wire gets hot FAST!!!

14. Lbus9168

Lbus9168 TDPRI Member

Really Love the Board man, Great work!

15. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

Agreed. Super pro looking!! Awesome.

16. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

Playing through it the past couple days is beautiful... Had to work some kinks out. 1 cable was all good but no signal. Resoldered it and VOILA!!!! A couple more COMPLETED pics coming... Setup is a complete breeze. I would suggest this to ever player that has effects pedals. 2 Instrument cables and a power cable. Minus the looper and the Voodoo, I got out of it for 250 or less. Much better than buying something limiting like Pedal Train or the likes.

17. TeleMonkey

TeleMonkey TDPRI Member

Looks great! Love the fabric covering. That sets it off.

18. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

Couple more pics

And just as I was getting to the bulk of the work, a friend called and asked if I would let go of my Strat. He wanted it for his son who kept saying he wanted MY Strat. I let it go. He's a good kid and needs a real axe. But, I got my newest one in and it's a beast. Nothing it can't do. The whole switching guitars mid set has always been alien to me anyhow.

Attached Files:

19. ?????

????? TDPRI Member

The fabric was the AH HA!!! moment. I was actually thinking about tweed, but that's a headache. To do it right at least

20. TeleMonkey

TeleMonkey TDPRI Member

Yeah, you made the right choice. That looks classic AND classy. Nice work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.