I finally figured out why I don't like Joe B.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Sep 17, 2018.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

reminds me of adam carolla's discussion about confusing comics. When a comic thinks they're so funny and smart that they can tell obscure jokes that nobody understands, it's no longer funny.

drlucky and soulgeezer like this.
  2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Separate and aside, maybe his patreon contributors have a secret code where he can hear the audio, and we can't.

(just kidding, I doubt he has a patreon account, but it does seem like we're going that way with youtube and entertainment. "Hi, everyone. I'm going to play a cool cover of little wing with a big solo in the middle. If you're one of my patrons, you can go to my patreon page and get a code to hear the audio. Hey guys, I gotta get paid, you know?".

Bruxist likes this.
  3. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

Here are my reasons..

-Just imitates other players with really no style of his own

-He's a tool when it comes to guitars/gear. yeah he knows his stuff, but it can be annoying lol

drlucky and Dr Improbable like this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Memorex, that's pretty much how I feel about any blues album by any artist. Three or four songs and I'm done, ready to listen
    to something else. There's tons of rock and other music that is heavily influenced by blues, and usually I can listen to that kind
    of music for a whole album's worth. There's just more variety in the way the songs are structured, and more musical
    influences brought in from other genres whether it be reggae or funk or whatever. Rolling Stones, for example.
    The Some Girls album is one example of something with much more variety from song to song, and therefore I can listen to the whole
    album. YMMV and all that, of course. One thing cool about music is we can all like different things.

I also agree with MilwMark on the basic point that I'm no longer a big fan of acts that are primarily based on the prowess of the lead
    guitar player. I'm much more interested in acts that are focused on the overall music. The guitar player supports the music rather
    than the music being a backing track for the guitarist to shred over. When I was a teenager totally nerding out on lead guitar I
    totally gravitated towards guitar gods and was happy to go see them even if I thought their music was kind of weak. I no longer
    am into that at all. In fact, as I get older I have much greater appreciation for guitarists who can play amazing rhythm guitar and
    who can play very tasteful hooks and melodic leads that truly support the song.

There's a very, very short list of players that I think were or are able to do both-- do lots of rock guitar god theatrics while at the same
    time writing great songs and having their playing support the song. Jimmy Page, EVH, and Hendrix would be at the top of that list
    for me, maybe SRV, too.

Maybe JB will get there eventually, but in my humble opinion
    on the scale of "shredding to a backing track" to "writing and supporting a great song with tasty playing" he's somewhere towards
    the left end of the scale, but hopefully is working his way towards the right end of the scale. Just my humble opinion and all that.

Having these discussions about JB doesn't have to be "slagging". We can all be music critics as well as music lovers and music players.
    As actual guitar players we sometimes have more insights into what is reallyl going on than the average music critic that doesn't
    know anything about guitar and wouldn't know a pentatonic scale from a hole in the wall.

drlucky likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not to blow up the thread ( ;)) but ... John Mayer. Wait, wait! He was good with Dead & Company. Is there an existing band that Joe B could join and tour with that might change folk's opinion, might cause them to give Joe B another chance?

P Thought likes this.
  6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

What a great question! Let me think about this...

I'm thinking along the lines of the Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, or Gun 'n Roses. Seems like he'd be a pretty good fit with any of those, no?

But, like Mayer, he'd have to bring something new to the proceedings. Do we think that he would do that, or would he just ape the parts that previous guitarists already played?

drlucky likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That is the jumping off point in the discussion. RHCP seems like a possibility. I'd have to first see him in a sock.

8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

He plays guitar, not bass!!!

9. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I don't dislike Joe; I just don't like him enough to listen or care. Whether his music is boring because I lack imagination, or he does, is unknown, and who cares. For whatever reason, Robben Ford seems to me to play music loaded with expression and spirit, and Joe plays notes. That's OK; Joe doesn't need me to love him, and I have other people to listen to.

10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

BigDaddyLH you are onto something. Hmmm..if a band lost its guitar player and needed a gunslinger to fill in that would do a good job...
    Aerosmith maybe?

11. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Joe has the most awesome collection of guitars and amps. He does the guitar safari thing. Which makes him cool to me.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Felder parts for the Eagles.

13. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Plus, if he was playing in a group with don henley, nobody would ever even begin to think he was arrogant. They wouldn't be able to tell.

14. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This thread really inspired me to listen to some Gary Clark, Jr.

Read into that what you will. (I am not too sure myself)

drlucky likes this.
  15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Here's my assessment of what it would take for people to like bonamassa. He'd need to be 400 pounds and show some signs of having suffered.

We expect blues to have come from some suffering. BBC king had a hard start to life. Srv had a horrible problem with addiction. Same with Jimi, who came through the army and not up through playing gigs as a phenom.

We don't perceive someone as being able to sing about troubles if they didn't have some serious ones.

Same with artists like jewel. She sang sad songs and had legitimately lived in a car before making it. I'd she had been a mouseketeer, we wouldn't have bought the gimmick.

I think Joe should put on 200 pounds. Develop some health problems, and get a documentary made about himself. Maybe put his gear into storage for a decade and say it was all stolen, play slower, and use a cheap beat up guitar or two.

And we can all admit that what we really want is a good story to go along with the music. Which has to be a bad story.

16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

And I can't believe how arrogant Joe is about being on the cover!!!
    He can't be humble.

I am very honored to be on the cover of @guitarplayer for the fourth time. Thank you to all the fans and staff at the publication for the support. Special Thanks to @tomojustfunky for letting me know it is out! This photo was taken at my house. I have the look of someone who thinks they left kettle on for an hour too long but doesn’t want to admit it. PS our new album is out Friday. Check it out ... I hear it came out decent.
    joe.jpg

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

You should know that some will think you're serious and not recognize the sarcasm...;)

El Tele Lobo and warrent like this.
  18. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

I am going to listen to some Frusciante, thank you very much.

19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have to totally disagree re: Tab Benoit.

The only time I got the "SRV Coattail" Vibe from him was when his label and producer tried to foist that genre upon him, with his second album. He has spoken disparagingly regarding that part of his recording history, and I saw him live when he was promoting that album--he was not "Stevie Ray-ing" it up at all--he was playing modern blues from a Louisiana point of view.

Immediately afterward, he massively moved on from that era, artistically and commercially.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

I always took the suits as him dressing nice for the audience, almost as a sign of respect. I could be way off, but I don't mind at all if the guy wants to dress nice instead of wearing something grungy. Watch any interview with him and you can tell that he's normal, humble (considering his talents & success), and as much of gear nerd as anyone on TDPRI. He's an electric guitar historian with an incredible collection, but also tells the truth about how good the vintage stuff is (and isn't). And love him or hate him, he's worked to get where he's at. He's not a young hot pop singer that some record label decided to make into a star based upon his image. He has a long (and well-documented) history of playing all sorts of low-level events to get where he's at today.

Would I wear the suits & glasses? Probably not, it's not my style. Would I play guitar the way he does if I had the ability? Absolutely. And as for over-playing; do I go to concerts & watch YT videos of average guitar players who blend into the background? Nope, I can stand in front of the mirror to see that. I want to be wowed by seeing what's possible on my favorite instrument, which is why I'll watch him shred.

I'll watch just about any guitarist who makes my jaw drop by his/her playing, regardless of the style, attire, faces or eyewear.

El Tele Lobo, RLee77 and Gene O. like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.