I finally broke my dog's nose

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boris bubbanov, Oct 12, 2018.

1. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

I have one 14 1/2 and she has been soaking bedding in her sleep. Suspected bladder infection, took her to the vet after taking in a urine sample. They gave us antibotics and 50mg Pronin for inconstinance. She chewed and ate the first one no problem and took the antibiotics wrapped in cheese. After that wouldn't take either and wound up having to shove them down her throat and she didn't eat for 3 days.
    Back to the vet, they did blood work and all was fine. Said hold off on the Pronin till she starts eating and gave us an appetite stimulant, a liquid to give in syringe and it seems to be working after another week & started giving a half tab of the Pronin.
    Get up a couple times in the nite and let her out & last nite was the first with no accidents. Keeping fingers crossed and I know in my mind she will probably go south maybe in the future and dreading having to make that final decision.
    No matter what you do you really can't prepare yourself for that.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This old dog can’t say no to liverwurst either.

Alamo likes this.
  3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

My pittie mix needed pills after getting stitches, and caught on to the spiked food pretty quickly. She also had some trust issues back then, so poking it down her throat would result in an angry dog. My solution was to wrap the pill in American cheese, call her into the room, say "catch", and toss it at her. She'd catch the morsel and gulp it down without a moment's hesitation.

My old yellow Lab would eat ANYTHING that was offered on a paper plate, especially if he thought it was my food.

8barlouie likes this.
  4. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

My 6 month old Husky has a liver shunt that will require surgery in January. She gets three different meds three times a day, including antibiotics. They gave me liquid versions, which are so much easier to administer. Fill a syringe, and just squirt the meds into her mouth. She actually thinks she's getting special treatment and sits, anxiously waiting, while I prep the syringes.

8barlouie likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

She's consumed both dosages of the Doxy today, at this point.

She held off for a very long time, before eating her breakfast. We just brought it along with us and eventually, after a very long walk at Tishomingo State Park, she was hungry enough and she ate it. And about a hour ago she ate the second dosage, with some pureed chicken. I'm convinced she is smelling the medicine and her sense is, to avoid it - unless the food it is in is excellent.

Strange how she stalls on the outbound leg of a long walk, sniffing at everything and pausing off and on. Then, on the return leg she's leading the charge, all the way.

Not recommending camping at this time at Tishomingo. They're having chronic water supply issues.

6. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When a piece of cheese doesn't work I've found that slicing off a piece of a hot dog and shoving the pill in works great.

7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Yup, that’s the only way we can get our Mini Schnauzers to take pills. I’ve given up trying to do it any other way: just open the mouth, pill right on the back of the tongue, hold mouth shut and stroke the throat till they swallow.

8. boris bubbanov

She's gotten these dosages (half pills, crushed) mixed with aromatic canned dog food and she's liking this.

Despite the rains off and on, we've gotten in a decent amount of mileage - and she was leading most of the way. She's just not trying to dislocate my shoulder as she once would.

9. boris bubbanov

Well, the doxycycline is working great, her appetite is back to where it was a few years back, and she's leaping and jumping like a mad girl.

I think she'd had a low grade infection for a very long time. Now, she's back and she's crazy.

We went on a long woodlands walk this morning, mostly along the Wolf River and she was pulling like she was 7 again.

Very happy pup, now catching some zees on her favorite spot on the leather couch. That makes me a very happy Bubbanov, that's for sure! :^)

+

We found and gathered up some freshly fallen buckeyes along the trail. Hoping these will germinate when planted at The Cabin.

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

You will go to hell for that.

11. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Good to hear she’s doing better.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great news, Boris. Our Lab-girl was named Daisy, still miss her terribly, but glad your Daisy is back to normal. As an aside, only ER visit I ever had was for an allergic reaction I suddenly developed to Doxyclcline, after taking it for about a week with no problems, for a suspicious tick bite.

13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Try dropping it on the floor in the kitchen.
    My dog gobbled right-up because he thought he was getting away with something!

14. boris bubbanov

For what?

I didn't actually break the dog's nose. It was a turn of phrase, asking her to eat a weird combination of food with her medicine.

I don't think Daisy has ever had a broken bone. She had a "False Pregnancy" one time - that was weird. She tried to adopt our pet ferrets as her babies. Since they like to snuggle anyway, they didn't mind at all.

15. boris bubbanov

Well, Daisy is back and just super strong again.

We walked at Meeman-Shelby Park (this is the Chickasaw ridge that's next upriver from Memphis) for almost four hours, about 11 miles and Daisy was tiring us out. Thank Goodness for Doxycycline. Whatever was ailing her has finally cleared up and this is after months of bleah behavior on her part. I've got my Puppy back!!

It was one of those half dozen days per year, about 50-54 degrees, clear, light winds, enough of the yellow poplar, cottonwood, sycamore and maple leaves down to let in some decent sunshine. Lots of woodpeckers, passerines, squirrels, a few sleepy snakes, just one whitetail spotted. Very few other human park visitors - no sense to that at all.

16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I have never heard that phrase before.
    If you didn't actually break your dog's nose then you're okay...

17. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Our old dog (shih tzu) will absolutely not eat her yearly flea pill... no matter how you disguise it.

So I have to resort to the finger down the throat maneuver while my wife keeps her jaws pried open.

She clamped down on my finger once which prompted a reactionary response to squeeze my hand around her throat....

She is already a big eyed (bug) dog so when I clamped onto her neck her eyes looked like they were gonna pop out for a second...

My wife was hysterical... thinking I had choked the dog intentionally lol.... then she understood that she had chomped on my finger and i instinctively closed my hand.

The whole thing was funny after that fact for everyone but the pup who finally had a belly full of flea meds that she detested.

Oh well... now we have a better less invasive method.

18. boris bubbanov

I think a small mortar and pestle is a great idea.

Grind the medicine up into a powder. So long as the pup has a baseline appetite, you can IMO use aromatic foods and this should cover up the awful taste of some of these medicines. I'm very glad not to have had to jam a pill down Daisy's throat for quite some time.

Daisy is just being amazing. She's hopping and jumping around, demanding larger portions at meals and climbing the staircase without hesitation. And she seems to have stopped wetting her bedding. And I'm going the extra mile to get up halfway through the night and let her out so she isn't hanging on for hours.

19. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I thought those only grew in Ohio. :D

20. boris bubbanov

There's number of varieties. I see way more Buckeyes in other states. Some thrive up in the High Country of the Appalachians and others (with the red flowers) do well down on these "Chickasaw Ridges" that line the Mississippi on the east bank here and there above Memphis.

I lived in Central Ohio from 1959-1963 and then again, a little later and frankly the buckeyes never drew my interest. I remember solitary Walnut trees, Crab-apples, Mulberry trees, Osage-Orange trees, large tall old Cherry and Oak trees, hickories, and ash trees of course.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.