I feel so lonely!

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I have recently been feeling like my playing is dry. It's just me playing my guitar and nothing else to it. It seems that there aren't many who play guitar out there that would seem to be a good fit, whether it turns into a band or just playing with someone. I am also practicing for a rehearsal with my music teacher so I'm not really learning anything now, were trying to put together a rehearsal. Grant it I will have to learn modes and zones and whatever other junk out there but I feel like it's just me banging on a guitar, it doesn't feel lively and as fun anymore because I am not learning much of anything right now and I have a sudden urge to want someone to play with. Is this normal?

Lotek

Tele-Meister
Oh man, Yes that is normal. Your locked into practicing for a rehearsal. I bet it feels dry and repetitive. Get through that, then pick a couple new songs to learn. Your teacher is trying to unlock new skills and raise your game. You may just need to back up in your free time and play along with music that is just fun. I have a couple guys I play with occasionally theres always someone struggling while the other guy is trying to push harder. that's how it goes.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
There's a drummer nearby, but they have a crazy schedule and never have had the chance to meet him, and as far as I know there is no guitarist to play with, other than my teachers other pupils maybe, but I don't even know them

HaWE

Tele-Meister
There's a drummer nearby, but they have a crazy schedule and never have had the chance to meet him, and as far as I know there is no guitarist to play with, other than my teachers other pupils maybe, but I don't even know them
Sometimes its difficult to get in contact with the right people - including musicians.For example here in our area there are too many people playing guitar - it would be a good chance for a drummer or bass-player to play with other people.But drummers and bass-players are hard to find.
And then there is the problem that musical tastes are different- you can be lucky if you find some people wanting to play the same style of music ( or make compromises ).

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
Story of my life! Sorry - that might not be very encouraging. There have been periods I've gone through where there's lots of people to play with, and it's all amazingly exciting and inspiring, and then for some reason periods that just feel like trudging across a desert - there's no-one around at all. Not sure why. Just life, I think.

Don't let it get you down. As someone else said, take a bit of time out and play along to records - sorry, that's what we used to call the things music came on! - and then when you do come into contact with someone you can play with your playing will be better and you'll enjoy it all more.. There's nothing worse than suddenly getting the opportunity to play with people and your playing's really rusty because haven't played for ages!

There's a really phenomenal, very funny guitar player whose name I just can't remember right now, but he always says "in every language in the world, the phrase is play music, not work music." I'm sure he must have to practice a lot to be as mind-blowingly capable as he is, but he's right - it should be playing and enjoyable. Remember that aspect of it. Sure, there are bits you'll need to work at if you want to be good, but balance it with the fun bits, because that's why we all started in the first place, and why we keep going. It's not an army drill! I wish I could remember that guy's name.

And stay on here. There's lots of lovely people on here, and we might all be miles away, but there's lots to learn, lots of amusing and uplifting stuff, and people are always happy to chat and support.

When I remember that guy's name, I'll come back. He's so uplifting, you've got to see his videos!

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
Aha! - Found it! Bob Brozman. It was killing me that I couldn't remember his name. Saw him play a few years ago and it was the most fun and yet jaw-dropping thing ever. Might not be your thing, but have a look. It'll make you smile!

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
the thing is to find some one in your age group that listens to the same styles of music, the beauty of that is you can bounce original ideas off of them , and explore in the same direction. chemistry in personalities is by far the hardest aspect of things to co-ordinate.

modes are easy to learn , start with a major scale, any one , once you get that down , start the same scale on the second note and finish on the second note 1,2,3, octaves up . that is your first mode . once you have that do the same for the 3rd note , its that easy all the way upto the 7th note of the scale ( rince and repeat) .

what songs do you like? go on line find the chord chart and figure it out while listening to the song,( Youtube is brilliant for this but be carefull , alot of times the vids are not correct , but you will hear this)
Hint if the song starts with a (say ) G chord , look for other G chords on the neck listen to the voicings of each , this may inspire you ( first position chords get boring real fast ! LOL part of this journey is identifying what you dont know .

Buell

Tele-Meister
Been there myself many times. If you're having trouble finding the right folks to jam with, find some drum tracks to play along with. Not only will it help your timing, but it may unleash a creative explosion. Don't give up and rock on!

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
Ok, I went to sleep and my thread sprung to life!
Story of my life! Sorry - that might not be very encouraging. There have been periods I've gone through where there's lots of people to play with, and it's all amazingly exciting and inspiring, and then for some reason periods that just feel like trudging across a desert - there's no-one around at all. Not sure why. Just life, I think.

Don't let it get you down. As someone else said, take a bit of time out and play along to records - sorry, that's what we used to call the things music came on! - and then when you do come into contact with someone you can play with your playing will be better and you'll enjoy it all more.. There's nothing worse than suddenly getting the opportunity to play with people and your playing's really rusty because haven't played for ages!

There's a really phenomenal, very funny guitar player whose name I just can't remember right now, but he always says "in every language in the world, the phrase is play music, not work music." I'm sure he must have to practice a lot to be as mind-blowingly capable as he is, but he's right - it should be playing and enjoyable. Remember that aspect of it. Sure, there are bits you'll need to work at if you want to be good, but balance it with the fun bits, because that's why we all started in the first place, and why we keep going. It's not an army drill! I wish I could remember that guy's name.

And stay on here. There's lots of lovely people on here, and we might all be miles away, but there's lots to learn, lots of amusing and uplifting stuff, and people are always happy to chat and support.

When I remember that guy's name, I'll come back. He's so uplifting, you've got to see his videos!
I think it would be awesome to get a record player. I saw a ventures one in a thrift shop and I was really wishing I had a record player then lol.
Aha! - Found it! Bob Brozman. It was killing me that I couldn't remember his name. Saw him play a few years ago and it was the most fun and yet jaw-dropping thing ever. Might not be your thing, but have a look. It'll make you smile!

That is the most insane thing I've ever seen.
what songs do you like?
I like Surf, particularly the ventures. I know a few of their songs. The problem is most people my age don't really like anything like that, but the other high gain junk I can't stand.
Learn to sing. Then you can play a whole song.

Place an ad looking for others who want to play but not "gig twice a month".
I can sing, I used to play at my church and sing but that was just me and I got fired.
Have you tried Bandmix?
Nope, what is that?

Gene O.

Tele-Afflicted
I have recently been feeling like my playing is dry. It's just me playing my guitar and nothing else to it. It seems that there aren't many who play guitar out there that would seem to be a good fit, whether it turns into a band or just playing with someone. I am also practicing for a rehearsal with my music teacher so I'm not really learning anything now, were trying to put together a rehearsal. Grant it I will have to learn modes and zones and whatever other junk out there but I feel like it's just me banging on a guitar, it doesn't feel lively and as fun anymore because I am not learning much of anything right now and I have a sudden urge to want someone to play with. Is this normal?
In my opinion, guitarists starting out should focus on developing their ear first. "Modes and zones and other whatever other junk" won't do you a bit of good if you can't make sense of what you're hearing.

HaWE

Tele-Meister
Been there myself many times. If you're having trouble finding the right folks to jam with, find some drum tracks to play along with. Not only will it help your timing, but it may unleash a creative explosion. Don't give up and rock on!
For that reason I bought a Digitech Trio Band Creator- I combine it with a Ditto Looper.Its a nice toy to spend some time and just jam to a chord-progression of your choice.
But its only a poor substitute for playing with real people.But better than not playing at all.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
You sound a lot like myself and so many people I know.
I figured out that I am a "Money" Player.
With nothing on the line, I simply don't care that much.
However, when a Gig comes up, I spring in to action!

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I don’t know how things are around you but I am in Orange County California and there are, well I can’t say since the pandemic thing but there were groups where you could get together with jazz or blues guys and play acoustic guitars in the park, and possibly there’s something around you?

It’s not real personal but we have the Twanger section here, if you have some kind of way to record. Every week we have more backing tracks to play to and you can get as much feedback as you want. I’ve heard everyone of the people that post there have gotten so much better over the past year or two.

There’s also input from people that you couldn’t imagine them getting any better because they’re that good. Just a couple of ideas.

Sounds Good

Tele-Afflicted
I got a bit bored at one stage then started making up my own stuff, and now look forward to the unknown more and maybe hearing new sounds and licks to use, and sometimes if lucky new songs even.