I Feel Bad For My MF Gear Advisor

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ZenGuitarist, Sep 30, 2020.

1. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Some of us including me get regular phone calls and/or emails from a MF gear advisor trying to drum up business and this morning I got yet another email from my MF gear advisor.

Well, this morning was the wrong time for me to get such an email because I had been thinking about why I never buy guitars from MF/GC anymore. The TDPRI posting rules don't allow "Agenda Posting" and I'm not going to go there but I will say to Canadians that if you now order from MF/GC your shipment will be handed over to CanPar for final delivery to you and Canadians who have experience with CanPar probably understand what that means. I'm not going to go into any more detail as to why I'm unhappy with MF/GC.

So after receiving the email from my gear advisor, I decided to write back to her with some constructive feedback and explained exactly why I don't buy guitars from them anymore. I'm Canadian so of course the email was extremely polite, but I know she is just a person doing her job so I also made it clear that she shouldn't take anything in the email personally.

Even so, I'm sure she wasn't expecting the reply I wrote back to her so I do feel a little bad but I did ask her to pass on my feedback to the powers that be in the hopes that MF/GC will change how they ship orders to Canada. I hope they do change because there are things I'm interested in buying from them sometimes but I guess I'll see what happens after this.

So why am I even posting this? I don't know, maybe I'm just making the point that if you're not happy with a company, it doesn't hurt to send them constructive feedback. I've done it a few times before, usually with positive results.

2. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I've gotten one such email so far. If it never goes beyond email, I don't really mind. (How bad is unwanted email that can be recognized immediately as such? Click once to select, click once more to delete. Done.)

If I start getting phone calls, though, I will not be happy. I ain't no Canadian, either, so just watch out.

3. ZenGuitarist

I screen all unknown incoming phone calls and let them go to voicemail so that doesn't bother me too much. She's been calling me every couple of weeks for a while now but I never take the call because I'm usually busy with something else. If I want to communicate with them, I'll do it on my own timetable via email, not on their timetable via incoming phone calls.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Generally, I just don't pay it much attention.
    I'm from Tennessee.

stormsedge and tery like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

"If I want to communicate with them, I'll do it on my own timetable via email, not on their timetable via incoming phone calls."......that's worth repeating. I wish every "solicitor", legitimate or not, would get this message. I just bought a new "doo-dad" gadget that allows me to block the numbers of unwanted phone calls, so that they don't even ring my phone once, like NOMOROBO allows. If I'm ever "in charge" of everything, any and all telephone solicitors will be rounded up, taken out back, and summarily dispatched. My phone does not exist for "your" benefit.......DON'T CALL IT!!!!!!!!!!
    Whew!.....now I need to go sit down with my guitar and "chill out" for a bit. ;)

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  6. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

I recently started getting calls from Sweetwater after emailing a question about a hardshell case. It doesn't bother me, I screen my calls anyway. To the OP. Don't feel bad about your email, you were just letting them know why you were no longer buying from them. I'm sure the advisor didn't take offense.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I always get calls from them after I make a purchase. I never answer but I’ve thought about politely giving them some feedback.
    I only buy smaller ticket items from them. I never buy a guitar or amp from them. The reason? I contacted them about the purchase of an AV64 telecaster several years ago. I knew exactly w hat I wanted and was just inquiring about their selling price. I always make it a habit to contact dealers and ask “what’s your best price” on this item. Rarely, it’s the MAP rice. But usually a dealer offer anywhere from a 10 to 20% discount off of map. The Sweetwater consultant hem and hawed about what he could, acted offended. By the time he got back to me the guitar that I wanted was gone. So, I went to my second option and got a 15% discount. I’ve not bothered with them since.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  8. ZenGuitarist

I actually have a fairly complicated phone setup at home that allows me to do things with incoming calls based on the phone number. Having the call instantly hang up without my phone ringing at all is one of the options, but there are also several other, shall we say, more interesting options at my disposal to deal with incoming calls I don't want.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. ZenGuitarist

I'm a nice guy who always tries to treat people kindly but if I have a bad enough experience with a company I ruthlessly cut them off and never deal with them again. It's happened a few times, but not too many. Usually if I have an unhappy experience I like to give the company the opportunity to make it right first.

10. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

Hell yeah!!!

Hey_you, nojazzhere and ZenGuitarist like this.
  11. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

ZenGuitarist, ya done good.

Giving feedback in a polite way is exactly what vendors need to hear in order to improve their processes. A happy customer is usually a repeat customer.

An unhappy customer will go elsewhere.

Good onya!

StevesBoogie and ZenGuitarist like this.
  12. ZenGuitarist

I might be a little distracted for the rest of the day because the FedEx truck just delivered this mysterious box with fragile contents and the name Eastwood printed on it. Hmmm, I wonder what could be inside.

Eastwood1.JPG

13. ZenGuitarist

Well this is really peculiar. Inside the box was this black oblong object with the word Backlund written on it. Who is Backlund?

It appears to be held closed with some latches. I'm not sure if I should open it.

Well, I'm feeling lucky today, but if you don't hear back from me by the end of the day send out a search party, preferably armed with guitar picks.

Eastwood2.JPG

stormsedge and nojazzhere like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Is one of those options sending a lethal jolt of electricity back up the phone line?......THAT'S what I'd want! ;)

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  15. ZenGuitarist

It turns out that George Jetson was the one who delivered the mysterious box. You might find another thread around here mentioning George. I think I've done enough self-derailing in this thread already.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

One advantage to never, ever buying anything new?

I am the only “advisor” there is...

Note to self: If I sent myself some bit o’ honeys every so often , it wouldn’t kill me would it?

17. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Well, the phone calls have started. Luckily the "answering machine" got it.

18. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Sweetwater used to call. I asked them to stop and they did. When I call my “sales engineer” he always calls right back. I used to get at least an email a day from different people at MF until I unsubscribed. I initiate all contact with them now.

19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Musician's Friend, American Musical Supply, Sweetwater, the competition is intense. The AMS warehouse is close to me. If I order on Monday I get it Wednesday. This "sales engineer" BS is BS.

20. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

B-B-But yer close!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.