I feel as if I should tell you:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Also, restaurants. All restaurants had ashtrays on the tables.

Yes, they did! I haven't smoked for years, but when I smoked, I didn't fool around about it, I knocked out a couple of packs a day, sometimes more. I know today's ways are better, but the old way was more fun.

Doctor of Teleocity
I miss the old days when people weren’t so uptight. They knew they weren’t going to live that long, so they made it count. Then came those oat bran muffins!

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
Also, restaurants. All restaurants had ashtrays on the tables.
When we took our Royal Caribbean cruise in January, we and some other passengers played out the "Apollo 18" escape room game, where the goal was to ultimately configure Mission Control to launch the Saturn V on a fictitious last moonshot. The miniaturized Mission Control room was surprisingly authentic...

i-c4QxPPz-X2.jpg

...Right down to:

i-sJd7JKm-X2.jpg

Some of the younger guests were legitimately surprised to see ashtrays on every desk.

Last edited:

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Yes, they did! I haven't smoked for years, but when I smoked, I didn't fool around about it, I knocked out a couple of packs a day, sometimes more. I know today's ways are better, but the old way was more fun.
Yeah, i wouldn't/couldn't smoke a cig today with a gun to my head. But if i could and it had no effect on my health what so ever and a pack wasn't $10 (yikes !) I'd run to my car right now and go buy a carton ! I actually haven't had a craving since 3 years after i quit in '07, but just remembering how much enjoyment i got from it would make me start today if not for the inevitable 2 things i mentioned.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve never smoked, except a brisket.

Good thing, too…I have a slightly addictive personality and love to chew gum, peppermints and toothpicks…I’d be an awesome smoker!

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I tried the moon launch gig.

Kept picking up the red phone, and pushing the green button.
Nothing seemed to happen.

My wife wasnt that into it. She waited in the car.
She later told me the parking garage lights kept turning off and on all afternoon...

Gnometowner

Tele-Meister
Days Work chewing tobacco was a favorite of the old men I grew up working around.
Beechnut sometimes. I puked myself wrongside out during wheat harvest from trying Beechnut.

ozcal

Tele-Afflicted
When we took our Royal Caribbean cruise in January, we and some other passengers played out the "Apollo 18" escape room game, where the goal was to ultimately configure Mission Control to launch the Saturn V on a fictitious last moonshot. The miniaturized Mission Control room was surprisingly authentic...

i-c4QxPPz-X2.jpg

...Right down to:

i-sJd7JKm-X2.jpg

Some of the younger guests were legitimately surprised to see ashtrays on every desk.

i seriously hope to never go on a cruise in my life, but i would like to visit that room ...

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted

It Made a Major Breakthrough in Statistics

The Guinness Brewing Company, under the direction of the newly inherited proprietor, decided to use science to improve their operations. To that end they hired W.S. Gossett, a newly graduated chemist and mathematician from Oxford, in 1899.

In 1903, he discovered that yeast could be sampled to determine the proper amount to add to the barley to produce the right flavor and that yeast cell counts per unit volume followed a Poisson distribution.

His main contribution to the world of statistics was under the name “Student” when he found that normally distributed data could be estimated using the Student’s t distribution.

This was a major breakthrough in statistics as it was good for small sample sizes and proved to be relatively robust for non-normal data.

TeleTucson

Friend of Leo's
Viceroys I love 'em:

You, sir, are on quite a roll today! :D
If they take really, really good care of themselves, they can live TEN extra years in a rest-home!

You need to be honest, however. You might not have the pleasure of entertaining us all today, or being the good partner you are for your spouse, if you'd kept at it. 40 years ago I was a pack a day - all because of the mystique of the habit, the commercial enterprise around it, and the chemical addiction. I honestly don't miss it because it was a just plain stoopid thing to be doing.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Thanks for the nice words! I just got up one morning and said I'm done with 'em. I've been off of 'em going on thirty-five years and been off the booze ten years less. The only thing left I have to cut out is paper dolls. I'm pretty sure you're right, I would have to have given my pocketknives away long before now if I hadn't straightened up when I did. ;)

edvard

Friend of Leo's
I started smoking in 1987. My friend put this song on a mix tape after I'd talked about quitting a couple of times but then bought another pack the next day, circa 1989:

I quit New Years 1996.