I feel as if I should tell you:

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
How does one accidentally quit smoking? Asking for many friends.

out of fear/force. i had to get put in the hospital with pneumonia and auto cold turkey'd for some days to actually quit. that lasted for like half a year, my longest quit. now i'm back to a pack and a half as of however many years.

the danger is that smoking is legitimately really awesome, one of my favorite activities...as a non-smoker. when you're off it and light up again, it is extremely pleasurable - and not in an addict way, just in a sensory way. but when you get 2 weeks back in to being an addict again, it becomes as completely terrible as it was before.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
I was looking for a roommate to share a basement apartment for my Senior Year of College. Asked a friend who knew the girls who lived upstairs. Note: we were all just friends. He said sure he would but I had to quit smoking. I said sure why not and quit. I have had two cigarettes that tasted awful and a few cigars since then. Cigars make your mouth taste awful for a few days.
I have not smoked in forty four years all because I told a friend I would quit to share an apartment. On a side note I did realize that smoking effected my breathing, especially when exercising, and I didn’t like that.
So to get a roommate for an apartment I quit smoking. Pretty good deal.
Lol. Yes a much better deal than say......a car accident that had you in a coma long enough for your body to not have a physical addiction.

I personally have not been a smoker except for one summer I really enjoyed Captain Black Sweets (pipe tobacco cigars) with Rye and Coke. As you said I could taste those for days after and it didn't take long to not want that anymore.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
I remember back in the late 60s a friend's mom's doctor perscribed her to start smoking for a nervous condition ! That kind of thing wasn't uncommon either. I remember being in the hospital and the nurse would bring me a clean ashtray when needed. Can u imagine if you lit a cig in a hospital room today? You'd be on death row for that. LOL It was a different day !

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
out of fear/force. i had to get put in the hospital with pneumonia and auto cold turkey'd for some days to actually quit. that lasted for like half a year, my longest quit. now i'm back to a pack and a half as of however many years.

the danger is that smoking is legitimately really awesome, one of my favorite activities...as a non-smoker. when you're off it and light up again, it is extremely pleasurable - and not in an addict way, just in a sensory way. but when you get 2 weeks back in to being an addict again, it becomes as completely terrible as it was before.
Well said. That's why only total abstinence can ever work for me. I like tobacco. I like the sensation of smoke in my lungs. I like the aroma of good tobacco burning. Dangerous stuff.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Screenshot_20200714-105325~2.png

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I remember our family doctor when I was a child. My Aunt was his LVN. They both smoked while I was in the office for a visit. My Dad smoked but never in the house. I remember those Viceroys but not all those ads. I think my Dad smoked Raleighs because they had coupons.
The old joke was that if you smoked Raleighs, you could save up coupons and get an iron lung with them.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I actually enjoyed Merit Menthol. I started with Winston’s. My Grandaddy smoked Winston’s. No I didn’t pilfer his he died when I was about six. Only about a half pack to a pack a day. I smoked some from about sixteen and quit at about twenty. One of the best accidental decisions I ever made.
My cigarette habit lasted for about a month at around age 14. I noticed very quickly that they made me get out of breath quicker when playing sports or riding my bike.

Last edited:

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Nobody seems to remember Ballantine Ale anymore. It used to be omnipresent.
I remember it well. Drank it, too! Not too bad.

And Ballantine Beer. Black Horse Ale. Koch's. Iroquois. Simon Pure. Rheingold. Schaefer (before the Pabst resurrected it). Blatz. Stroh's. National Bohemian. Red, White, & Blue. Schmidt's. Busch Bavarian. Olympia. Hamm's (before its resurrection(s)). Rolling Rock before it was colonized by Anheuser-Busch, Mickey's and Utica Club before Miller grabbed them, Piel's Real Draft before Pabst grabbed that, etc. And good ol', nasty Iron City, too.

And my childhood doctor liked Luckies, not Camels or Viceroys. He was a doctor of the people....

Having quit drinking over two years ago, and cigarettes 39 years ago, I gotta say...I miss smoking more. Loved those Lucky Strikes, and Pall Malls. And Marlboros, if I had to go filter. Obviously, a serious nicotine addict here, so I had to quit ASAP, and did, after just two years of increasingly heavy (and wheezy) smoking. The drinking was more easily controlled, but with an aging esophagus and pancreas, and tending to lean on it too much when stressed, that had to end, too.

The hard part was how deeply they were self-reward systems. I could and did get a lot done knowing that a few beers, or glasses of red wine, or glasses of watered-down bourbon awaited me. As I stoked my work with a rich, creamy cigarette every 20 minutes or so.

For me, there were better and cheaper addictions, from compulsive push-ups to thrash-sessions on the nearest guitar, to a walk with the dogs, to facing life unfiltered.

But I sure love those old cigarette, beer, booze, and car ads! How charming toxicity can be from some distance, eh?

Attachments

• marlboro20mummy.jpg
    marlboro20mummy.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
Never smoked in my life, not even 1 time..

I do remember the first couple of commercial flights I took, smoking was still allowed on planes and restaurants.
So I kinda did I guess.
The difference between the smoking and non smoking section, was one table lol.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I remember back in the late 60s a friend's mom's doctor perscribed her to start smoking for a nervous condition ! That kind of thing wasn't uncommon either. I remember being in the hospital and the nurse would bring me a clean ashtray when needed. Can u imagine if you lit a cig in a hospital room today? You'd be on death row for that. LOL It was a different day !
Flying on an airplane in the 70s, they would feed you, bring you cocktails, and you could smoke on the plane.