I enjoyed this ad. Maybe you will too. Japanese Gibson Factory?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by G.Rotten, Jun 19, 2019.

1. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

image.jpeg

"This is a 70's Les Paul by Gibson. Manufactured, in the Gibson Plant in Japan. A Collectors item. in Excellent Condition . New Strings with low action nice sounding, easy playing guitar. with the original case. From what I learned Les Paul did not want any decals names etc on this guitar and named it "The Black Beauty. Open to offers, and will consider trades such as upgraded Acoustic Electric Guitar."

Not my ad, don't reply to me to buy this super rare unlabelled guitar built in the Japanese Gibson Factory, known only as "Black Beauty". However, if you want to give me an upgraded Acoustic Electric Guitar I will take it. I don't care what kind of guitar it is as long as it's upgraded from whatever it was.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

To find out more about this period in Gibson history, please buy my new book “The Day Les toured the Japanese Gibson Factory.”

3. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Secretly. Possibly on a horse.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Gibson licence Fuji-Gen to build Japanese market guitars branded Orvilles for Japanese retailers. The Japanese have a preference for domestic brands, even though they get a lot of Gibsons like Ric's, Fenders, Gretsches specifically for their market. They are Beatles nuts.

Orvilles are high quality guitars and in some cases like MIJ Fenders have US-equivalent parts like tuners, pickups, hardware. Do a search for Orville brand guitars and you will find Les Pauls, Firebirds, SGs.

Not saying that's what this one is. There's also Tokais and other brands you don't see outside Japan because of lawsuit issues

BorderRadio and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Fraud. No question about it.

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

My first guitar was a 70's LP knock-off from Japan.
    Wasn't worth burning for firewood.

7. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just LOVE these ads.
    They make me feel smart, for a change.

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I've never owned one, but the Orville by Gibson guitars certainly look top notch as do most Burny copies. The Greco I had was junk but like Tokai there were different price point models ranging from paper weights to ridiculously awesome! Every Tokai I've owned has been very well made.

I'm sure guitars built in Japan for the Japanese market had more to do with economics vs what that market wanted. The guitar is not a traditional Japanese instrument was likely mostly used to make western inspired music vs traditional Japanese music. I'm sure if US made Gibson branded guitars had been offered to the Japanese market for an attainable price they would've chose them over the Greco, Tokai..etc. Orville was Mr Gibson's first name & likely chosen for Gibson guitar company's pride as it's not a Gibson unless it's US made (with the exception of that acoustic model made in Canada).

Gibson working with an existing Japanese factory isn't the same as a "Gibson Factory". It's like saying because my country supports another country either morally or physically, that country is now part of my country.

The guitar this guy has is in the Raven Mann camp. Gibson most certainly had nothing to do with it's existence.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  9. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

This is just the internet knowledge striking again......
    There are , no doubt , some ok or great Japanese Les Paul's around.

Once , some of them were inside tipped as affordable alternatives , usefull guitars for much less money...,

But , these guitars , like JV Squiers suddenly went up in price , and now people sometimes pay MORE than for the original models.

Helped along with the Babble about lawsuits , THERE WERE no lawsuits , ever !

I know people rave about the quality of some Japanese guitars , but I have never had one pass me by that worked better than the originals........yet even the bolt on Les Paul's are getting more expensive............because "lawsuit"...….absolute bulls*it !!

RodeoTex and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Greco eg500 that I think is a better guitar then the majority of Les Paul standards being made today.

The EG500 SuperPower was a low/ mid priced guitar in its time. The fretboard is dark older growth rosewood than you would get on a Gibson Standard. Thick maple cap. Braided pull back wiring from factory, pio cap from factory. Knob position markers from factory. Nickel hardware. It has frets that are hard and resilient. Has nibs you cant feel and the strings don't get caught in. Nice weight. It's not a great looking guitar but it's my most comfortable les paul to play. Like all guitar models they are hit and miss. Same goes for Custom shop gibsons. They aint all good just because of the logo.

If forced to I would sell my Gibson Traditional, Bacchus classic, epi standard and epi 56 goldtop before selling the EG500. It cost me less than the others bar the 56 goldtop which I got customer return for $220 delivered overseas.;)

20150121_132234.jpg

20150121_131947.jpg

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

I see what you’ve done there, pretty good mod to stop the strings getting caught in the nibs!

12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My Traditional gets the thin e stuck in the nibs now and then, the Greco doesn't. Pic was taken when I had just cleaned the gunk off it and hadn't yet fitted new strings.:)

13. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There are some terrific Japanese Gibson-style manufacturers, as mentioned above - Tokai being a great example - but the Orville was a Gibson initiative. They sure never would have sold one unmarked. The ad the OP shared, I think shows a knock-off.

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's clearly not an Orville, and possibly bolt-on neck too, especially if it's really from the 70s. A lot of them had no brand name.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Is that un-branded Martin D-35 case included?

16. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

It can be but only in trade for a 15 string mandolin that used to be a banjo.

Ill know if you try to sneak me a modified Banjolin.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

I'm totally convinced. if was closer to where I lived I'd be on my way over there now because I have nice acoustic electric without any logos to trade.

18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

But have you upgraded it in no specific way?

19. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

True,
    but I have crayons.

20. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

has anyone alerted gibson about this??? lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.