1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Dunno, Maybe Get A Kitten

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Sep 28, 2020.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

He's adorable.

Good for you and your wife for offering him a home, and I hope he continues to settle in. Your patience will be rewarded, I'm pretty certain.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

One of the guys in our PCA chapter has a cat that has a hard-to-beat car story. The guy had his track car at Sebring for one of the Driving Experience events. Early in the morning they’d seen a mama cat with kittens hanging around the motel parking lot, but he didn’t think anything of it when he went to the track.

He went out and did a few laps, came in to check on some things, and heard a “mewww”. A little fishing around in the underpanels produced one of the kittens - he’d been there for hot laps at Sebring! Needless to say they took him home and named him Racer or something like that:lol:

brookdalebill and Torren61 like this.
  3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Cat litter and box.... soon. Someone has to be practical.

SecretSquirrel and Torren61 like this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

All I can tell you, based on years of experience, is don't.

Torren61 likes this.
  5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I think most rescued cats make good pets, it seems as if they appreciate the good life they get.
    All of the cats we have ever had were rescues, the latest one was abandoned by the mama at a friends house, my wife had to bottle feed her for several weeks, she was probably only 2-3 weeks old.
    She's around 12 weeks now and much bigger. And she came along just as we had to put down another rescue cat we had for years who was very sick.

IMG_20200809_161727.jpg

IMG_20200925_135958.jpg

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We just got a new kitten. She is the purr-fect distraction from current events & society's current variation of silliness. FB_IMG_1600975579041.jpg

7. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We decided on a name. The cat was found in an engine compartment. That makes it a Motorhead. Like Lemmy. So, if it's for sure a male... it's Lemmy as in "LEMme". It it turns out to be female, it's Lemmy as in "LemME".

haggardfan1, brookdalebill and Kloun like this.
  8. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I always hated cat. We had dogs. I moved in with a cuz once. He had a cat. This was the most non-cat I have ever known of. Didn't want attention. Kept to its self mostly. My cuz couldn't even hold it for more than a min. 6 or 7 yr indoor cat. That cat was cool. I let it have heavy whipping cream. I hate milk. My cuz was gone for a few days. I let his cat outside over nite. Had to search next day to get him back inside. If my cousin knew, I wouldn't be alive to post here. That cat and I were buds!. Cats are cool.

39martind18, Mike Eskimo and Torren61 like this.
  9. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Very cute! Good on you for rescuing him!

Torren61 likes this.
  10. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

This is Marie. We found her and her sister bucket abandoned on a railway bridge. They adopted us and within two weeks it was like they’d always lived with us they’re something like six months old now D3A29EF4-C2B7-43DC-88C2-18E7BBFCE4A8.jpeg

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As long as you're taking your new pal to the vet, definitely check what they should be eating and how to feed them. That kitty looks very young and not weaned yet.

And good on you for taking him in.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I do not mean to be hurtful or show hatred towards cats but in Australia they grow feral and kill our small native life which is why I made that remark about buying you a beer if you kill one. They as destructive to Australia's ancient environment and animals as feral pigs.
    We have finally made Kangaroo Island, just south of me cat free and the Government scientists endorse this. So, Yes, jokingly, we do have a beer for killing a cat, it is seen as keeping Australia Australian.
    No offense meant but if you want a kitten/cat -fine. Keep them in your country. We don't want them here for delicate ecological reasons.
    I hope the moderators don't pounce on me on this issue again.

13. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I love cats, especially black cats. I don't know why. But I had 7 cats at one time, and my favorite was the black one.

He was the size of a house cat, and looked like a house cat, but in his head he was a giant panther.

I still remember laughing my head off the day I saw him chasing a full size dog (looked like a doberman pinscher/german shepherd mix) down the street with its owner yelling "save my dog". My cat was about 1/5 the size of that dog.

The more you handle them while they are young, the more affectionate they are later. :)

14. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

it’s true that feral cats and poorly trained house cats are a problem. In Sydney’s inner west there’s a cat plague.

but I’m sure you’d agree responsible pet ownership is a good thing?

15. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Get one of the 6ft tall cat trees now while he is a kitten. My two cats love climbing on it. When they were kittens they would sleep on the very top every night. Now they sleep in various spots, but they still use it. It gives them something to climb and to scratch on.

Torren61 and Tonetele like this.
  16. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

another cat.jpg

17. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Must be the year of the kitten. Ours is 5 months old. Her name is Pebbles.

Attached Files:

Bill, Torren61 and David Barnett like this.
  18. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love this thread, as I'm in the market for a kitten to rescue (just lost an elderly cat), and hoping one finds me.

Great advice! It makes a big difference later on.

I also strongly suggest keeping your cat indoors; they live longer, avoid pests & parasites, don't get run over, attacked, etc. when living indoors.

Litterbox litter: get the clumping litter for easiest maintenance. Don't cheap out on cheap non-clumping litter, not worth it.

Torren61 and maggieo like this.
  19. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Seconded! That's great advice.

Torren61 likes this.
  20. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Name change. We have been through a lot of names trying to make them stick to this cat but none did. We tried Neo because he was black and etc... We tried Max, Katze (We really wanted a name with a "Z" in it, long story), she wanted "Othello", (vetoed), Otto, Cat, Lemmy (found in an engine compartment... Motorhead... Lemmy), and a host of others that just did not stick.

Then, I realized that the title of the thread was "I dunno, maybe get a kitten" and that's from an Aesop Rock song called "Kirby" which is about a kitten. I mentioned it and we both liked it. Then we watched the video and there is no doubt that our kitten's new name is Kirby. It stuck. Ok, back to whatever you were doing after you watch this video.

I forgot to add: Kirby has been on a road trip six hours each way with a two day stay in between and did very well. 95% litter box trained (clumping kind). Vet appointment Oct 10th. Eats one half can of Blue Buffalo soft kitten food two to three times per day. Crate and carpeted cat tower trained. Loves chasing and killing toys.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    SecretSquirrel likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.