I drove a bus up to Mt. Rushmore on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Jun 18, 2021.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

We still have restaurants and such here in northern Minnesota that ONLY take cash. Plus a bunch of places with minimum amounts for cards. If you're under the minimum there's an additional charge.
    It still throws me a little when I see "no cash" too.

Wallo Tweed, Toto'sDad and dented like this.
  2. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I tend to use my credit card simply because it is a card that gives me "cash back", therefore makes the purchase slightly less expensive. In the last week I paid for purchases using twenty dollar bills and the cashiers used some sort of magnifying device to illuminate the bills to see if they were counterfeit.

I don't know if there is an uptick in counterfeit activity or I'm starting to look a little "Sketchy".
    [​IMG]
    One store used one of these.

Lost_N_Austin

uriah1 and dented like this.
  3. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Wonder if they would take stamps ?? (at the park that is...)

4. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

So about a buck a person? They’re losing money…

tery likes this.
  5. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Not an American, but here in Canada our Passport Office - which is a federal government institution - does not accept cash for payment. They cut cash payment out some years ago as a cost saving measure. As soon as you accept cash payment, now you have to have an entire infrastructure around managing that cash. The front line person needs a till, and a float (amount in the till to allow for change, etc), there has to be security procedures in place, they have to count and balance at the end of every day, and then you need a safe or vault on site to store the cash. Not only that, then you have to deal with either having a security company like Brinks do cash pickups every week or your management has to do cash drops to a banking institution.

Basically cash is a HUGE sink of resources. "Legal tender" means the government backs it and it has that value. Doesn't mean anyplace has to accept it as a method of payment.

P Thought, dlaroe and tery like this.
  6. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

I`ve heard the local dump doesn`t take cash

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Sign on the back of the bus..."Mt. Rushmore or Bust" :rolleyes:

I wish you could have handed the guard National Park Passes for everyone on the bus.

8. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

For me it was worse, after we ate and tried to pay the bill with cash we were told, " We No Longer Accept Cash"
    I was incensed and started to raise a ruckus and they accepted cash saying, " It's listed on the menu"
    Yah, in small type on the very bottom, it should be on a huge sign over the door. Never went there again.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A lot of stores around town don't take cash. I think the "storm" was just an excuse. Cash leaves no trail, credit cards leave a trail a mile wide that anyone with the proper knowledge can trace from start to finish. Where there is a credit card transaction, there's no wiggle room for tax collection, not always true with dinero.

Banking in general can cause a myriad of problems. A couple of years ago, I caught a check that went through for only thirty five bucks, that I didn't write. It was even signed wrong, not my signature or first name, to boot it was out of state. The bank figured it was a trial run, and a larger check would show up later. We had to close out a twenty year old account, and open a new one. That in turn necessitated a trip to the SS office, because we had to change the auto deposit for our SS check. All in all, it took over two months to get everything squared away. I am not a total fan of the convenience of modern life money handling. It seemed a lot more simple when I just pulled the loot out of my pocket and paid.

televillian likes this.
  10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always use cash for small items and mainly use twenties. Most places check them for counterfeit using a marker or some other method. I just can’t get myself to charge items less than twenty dollars. Seems like a waste.

11. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

This is flat out discrimination against poor people who for life/financial reasons don't/can't have a bank/debit/credit card. Imagine being so poor you can't go to a Federal Park because you don't have a debit card.
    Or you are visiting from Guam and only have cash, total BS

Blackmore Fan and Larry F like this.
  12. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I usually step out of line whenever my wife brings out the checkbook. I've tried to explain why people have a problem with those who slow down the line. Made worse knowing that people seem to get really pissed when the check writer is an older woman, like my wife. But she is such a stunning looker that nobody, I mean NObody gives her grief about it. I've learned that others make exceptions for good-looking people

P Thought and Wally like this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yes you need to use credit card so we can track you, and see what your buy, and on what
    day , and what time, and how much. You don't want us not to know.
    Strategic psychographic demographic modeling is a must now. It's whats good for all of us:)

P Thought and Blackmore Fan like this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

For welfare, where in the US is it _not_ EBT? The bipartisan support for EBT is a combo of anti-fraud, convenience, and efficiency. For people who may not be well off or need help I know there are other grocery chains like ours who make efforts to accommodate them. We're not alone in being serious about taking care of people.

I would imagine someone from Guam visiting has a version of my decades of visiting places all over the world - you have to figure it out and work it out.

Some of the arguments that come up over payments have a parallel with those tipping windmills about technology in cars or phones. Sometimes you have to live with what most do or the rules. You should be careful picking fights you can't win. You can be a hermit too.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. imwjl

And what merchants in 2021 - especially cash handling merchants - don't have cameras on you and the parking lot when you use cash? It's very few.

uriah1 likes this.
  16. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Fighting for the poor and impoverished is a fight I will never give up on

17. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

There’s an ongoing drive to become a cashless society. Several years ago son major banks were planning to incentivize merchants to going cashless.
    The biggest impediment is that some folks don’t have credit cards or even bank accounts.
    At some point we will be cashless. It will all be electronic.
    I’ve almost stopped using cash. In fact, I haven’t used an ATM in four months. I withdrew $100 and still have $60+ in my pocket.

19. imwjl

Then you should understand and support the many reasons behind EBT vs cash.

20. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

I watched a show on Mt Rushmore and the end product was not even close to the original intentions...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.