1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I dreamed of Toto last night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know exactly how you feel, and I'm sorry that Pete isn't there for you now.

dan1952 likes this.
  2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

That brought me to tears because it’s so true & beautiful

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp; Or what's a heaven for?

FenderGyrl likes this.
  4. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

A great line TD...mind if I use it on one of my songs...very nice phrase. ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

As much as I'd like to claim credit for such a simple phrase that conveys such a huge span of human philosophy and condition, it was Robert Browning who coined the phrase as far as I know. It is indeed a very nice phrase. Since he passed away more than one hundred years ago, I believe his works fall under public domain, so I think it would be just fine for you to use it. This advice is of course opinion based.

6. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

That’s awesome. After losing those very closest to me... I stop dreaming for months. I don’t recall if that happened to me with Bandit or not though I did take that hard. But after my little girl passed it was almost a full year before I had a dream (not just of her but if anything)... and then the few dreams I did finally have of her were replays of the day of her memorial which is more like a nightmare! After my wife passed it didn’t take quite that long, but it was a good six months or so before I had my first dream. I have dreamed about her a couple of times. A few were weird. A couple of weeks back I dreamed that she, Bandit and I were staying at relatives in the country and I let Bandit our to go potty. When I open the door I can’t find him but there are coyotes all around the house. All I remember about my wife in that dream is she was PISSED that I let our dog potentially be mauled by yotes! And then the first dream I had of her after she passed was sort of nice. She was sitting on a park bench by a lake with her brother while I took pictures around the lake. I don’t recall her speaking or saying anything. I just remember a smile on her face. She looked young, healthy, and happy... the way she used to be before she fell ill. It was peaceful and nice. I find myself trying to will myself to dream about her... but it just doesn’t work that way. Friends and family all have frequent visits from her in their dreams. I’m genuinely happy for them... and completely jealous! I don’t know what I have to do. My brother even felt her in the house... he was standing in the kitchen and felt a hand on his back sort of pushing him as if to move him out of the way. Nobody around him. I want to experience that... but it just hasn’t happened yet.

I’m glad Toto is keeping in contact with you. That’s awesome!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Toto'sDad and ozcal like this.
  7. nhsdpl

nhsdpl TDPRI Member

I knew as soon as I clicked on this thread I was going to start crying.

I am.

All the best, TD, from one dog lover to another.

haggardfan1 and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

He might not, but it’s from the poem Andrea del Sarto by the poet Robert Browning.

Edit: Just saw TD already answered. Unfortunately, I hadn’t seen his reply because my phone often crashes when I read his posts. Just his. Trying not to read anything into that.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

I've only had one dream about my son who passed and it was very pleasant too. I did have a very bad nightmare about a loved one who had passed, but these were separated by a number of years, as I said I don't generally dream about lost loved ones. I'm glad your experiences were good for the most part. I hope any further dreams you have are of the pleasant variety. If I never dream of Toto again, I'm glad the one I had was pleasant. The dream I had of my son was similar in that he never spoke, but smiled at me and I was warmed by his presence. Somehow, my son's and my little buddy's passing have become entwined in my mind. The loss of both is almost overwhelming but we must go on, my job isn't finished here on earth yet.

brobar likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

I sincerely apologize to both you, and your phone for the inconvenient impact of my posts! :oops::)

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I lost my older brother when he was 42 from a heroine overdose (extreme troubled life) he remained in the hospital intensive care for 4 days before he shut down. my wife and I was with him the whole time we never left his side because it was important to me he was not alone when he left , about 3 weeks later I had a very real dream, and he appeared in it and said thank you, and I love you , then vanished , it was a comforting dream and very warm feeling but I woke up feeling rather perturbed by it, but comforted.

Im not devout or spiritualistic but there was something there that felt real! even to this day.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

I know the feeling, because that's how it was when my son finally came to me in a dream. He was dressed as he usually was, and was wearing his bill cap with his own company logo on it, and spoke not a word. When he sat there on the couch as he had done so many times before in my little man cave looking at me though, he was projecting a great warmth and serenity that I found very comforting. I don't know if it is the mind that cleverly constructs these dreams, or something more, all I know is that I'm grateful for the few I've had.

24 track likes this.
  13. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Toto'sDad, I was so touched by your story. My loved pets come back to me during my sleep too, sometimes. I can't even talk about it without choking up. I'm glad you had a visit from Toto. They're part of this great world and are never really gone from us. Thanks for sharing the visit with us.

haggardfan1 and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

I have learned from this thread, and glad that I did that my experience is neither unique nor unusual. Thank you idjster.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  15. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I haven't had that experience with any of my pets, but I remember a dream I had about two weeks after my mother died.

I was in the house we lived in when I was little, except everything was smaller than I remember because I was grown in the dream. The phone rang (which was weird, because we couldn't afford a phone when I was small), and when I answered it, it was Mom telling me she was fine, that she was proud of me, and to make sure I take good care of my daughter. I woke up crying, but I felt more peaceful than I had since she passed.

I don't believe in psychics or any of that other stuff designed to separate fools and their money, but there is definitely more to life than just what we can see. There's more to people (and dogs) than just whatever chemical processes and electrical signals are keeping us walking around.

I have two little Shih Tzu's that need a bath. I think I am going to get them cleaned up and let them stay in my lap as long as they want today.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

I agree with all that you wrote, and especially the part about the bath and the lap.

stnmtthw likes this.
  17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

TD, this reminded me of a dream visitation I had from our last dog, Sam. He was sitting on a grassy area, I walked up to him, surprised to see him. He looked at me briefly,then looked away. I patted him on the head, and felt tremendous affection for him and gratitude to see him one more time. Then it was over. It sure was nice to see him. Sorry again for your recent loss.

He looked like this:
    Samoyed.jpg

18. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

TD, I've waited a few days to contribute here lest my post seem too corny. As you may remember, I lost my mom in 1986, my dad in 2007, and all four grandparents pretty much in that same time frame...not to mention my beloved stepbrother and stepmom shortly after Dad's death. With no siblings, and no biological children (that I know of) now I'm basically the last of the Mohicans. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

In the last three or four years, I've gradually begun to dream, usually quite pleasantly, of Dad and his parents in particular. Without going into detail, my paternal grandparents were kind of more parents to me than the parents I had. I also dream of the last long term dog I had, a Belgian Groenendael mix named Rascal...sometimes I dream of all of them together, and it can be very real, to the point I'm disappointed to wake up. Oddly enough, I seldom dream of my mother or her side of the family; again, that's a backstory not relevant here.

Another odd thing is that when I dream about Flash, the year-and-a-half-old black Lab, it's usually that he's in some sort of peril and I'm trying to get him to safety. I'm sure that's because we live in a fairly busy area, and he's kenneled in the house and taken out on leash. I dream about predicaments way beyond him getting loose and not recalling to me. I have pleasant dreams abut Flash too, but not as often as the other, more disturbing, kind. I could do without those.

It seems that your dream of Toto has been a considerable comfort to you. The ones I've had of Rascal, gone now some ten or twelve years, have had the same effect on me. May time bring more peace to you and the missus, and very pleasant memories.

19. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

The other day I read something that hit me.

Once a dog passes the owner of course mourns and feel sad because an important PART of her life is gone. To the dog, the owner is the WHOLE LIFE, not just a part. So who knows, maybe it actually was Toto paying you a late night visit. He will always be with you. [emoji813]

20. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

TD -

sounds like it was more than just a dream - just glad Toto's visit brought you some comfort -

thanks for sharing -

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.