I don't want to sharpen my knives

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
So I'm thinking about getting one of those self-sharpening sets that have ceramic wheels in the block slots, so every time you take it out or replace it, it sharpens the knife.

My concerns are metal filings and premature material loss. The latter should be no more than regular sharpening, though, I'd think.

Anyone have one of these? What's your experience?

Please note, I'm NOT looking for suggestions on how to sharpen knives.
I have a couple of those kind of kitchen knives. They stay sharp enough for general use, and over the years, there is no appreciable loss of material, although they are not my #1 kitchen knives. I give them a quick wipe before using them, just on general principles.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve heard great things about the Chef’s Choice sharpeners.
I have a 5 stone Lansky sharpener. It’ll put a very sharp edge on a knife but it is a PITA to use

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
So I'm thinking about getting one of those self-sharpening sets that have ceramic wheels in the block slots, so every time you take it out or replace it, it sharpens the knife.

My concerns are metal filings and premature material loss. The latter should be no more than regular sharpening, though, I'd think.

We have a couple of the knives you describe with the "self sharp" plastic sheaths. We've had them for years...they are "okay" for general kitchen work--we are not chefs. At this point, I should toss them and get new. Key to using them (for me) is when I draw the knife, the sheath goes back up in the cabinet until the knife comes out of the dishwasher. (Mrs has a different system, but I tolerate it ;)).

I haven't noticed any metal filings...and was not concerned about them until you mentioned it...oops, over it :lol::lol:.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The BDC comes through again, the OP said he didn't want advice on sharpening, so what does he get? Advice on sharpening of course! That's a GOOD Bad Dog! :)

ChrisDowning

Tele-Meister
I've tried them all. But, in the end, you just have to go to the original way to sharpen a knife - a grit block. I have a 600/3000 one, about 7 or 8" long, 3/4" thick, and 2" wide. A bit of 3 in 1 oil and you're set. Just watch a YouTube vid to learn how to do it - it's easy.

This is the one I use

Harbinger77

Tele-Holic
If you keep your knives in a block it’s likely that you prepare food poorly. Correlation not causation.

Chefs would tell you to buy a bunch of cheap paring knives and a generic chefs knife. Theyre maintained the same as expensive knives. There is no shortcut to knife maintenance. You’re not a sushi chef So you don’t need specialty tools.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
Wet stone dude. It's therapeutic.
Yup. Japanese water stones… buy a double sided one, spend a few minutes getting to know it, and you’re set for life.

BTW sharpening (metal removal) need not be done so frequently on good knives. I had to have this conversation with my prep cooks who were bent on grinding down our knives before every shift. Honing that edge is often all you’ll need to do, a few passes produces dramatic results. Learning to hone might be more valuable than learning to sharpen.

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
]
We have a couple of the knives you describe with the "self sharp" plastic sheaths. We've had them for years...they are "okay" for general kitchen work--we are not chefs. At this point, I should toss them and get new. Key to using them (for me) is when I draw the knife, the sheath goes back up in the cabinet until the knife comes out of the dishwasher. (Mrs has a different system, but I tolerate it ;)).

I haven't noticed any metal filings...and was not concerned about them until you mentioned it...oops, over it :lol::lol:.
My kitchen knives don't go in the dishwasher...

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Winky, most of mine are Zwilling Pro, but the Nakiri and bread knife are Zhen that I handled myself...kits from Woodcraft. Not expensive and the bread knife is "scary sharp". It's the only one I've actually cut myself with! LOL I agree with you that a properly sharpened knife of any kind should cut both bread and tomatoes.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity

If you don't want to sharpen your knives, why do you want a block that has automatic knife sharpeners built into it? Just don't sharpen them.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I usually use ceramic sticks but have a number of ways to sharpen. If you truly hate to sharpen knives get this little thing. My wife likes to use our sharp paring & other knives on China, stainless steel or whatever other surface will dull them fastest. I have sticks right beside this thing, but I can teach even Mrs. Stubee how to use the Rada. It’s entirely serviceable for many edges.
04E9D3BA-C8F6-4CDD-B78F-822BDF298B54.jpeg

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
We have a large chefs knife in our kitchen that is in one of the self sharpening holders, scabbard, sheath whatever.
It kind of works.

Ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.

bsman

Friend of Leo's
What is difference between honing and sharpening?
When you are sharpening, you are removing metal and dealing with things like chips and other imperfections in the edge. Honing simply realigns the cutting edge without removing steel. It is useful to bringing an edge back to good condition between sharpening sessions. I hone my kitchen knives before every use but only sharpen as needed to bring back a dull edge.

pedro58

Tele-Meister
Not wanting to sharpen a knife is like not wanting to change strings on a guitar when you've only broke one. Just change them, fool. A dull knife is a dangerous knife. Those gadgets that sharpen knives on a block by pulling them out are worthless.

Get one of those things that has carbide blades on one side and ceramic on other, set at an angle that will sharpen as you pull the knife through. Know that it will eventually remove the bevel and the edge, completely. At that point, buy new knives or get them sharpened professionally. Knives are a tool that require maintenance.