I don't want to sharpen my knives

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
Joined
Nov 21, 2020
Posts
284
Age
122
Location
Give 'em the beans!
So I'm thinking about getting one of those self-sharpening sets that have ceramic wheels in the block slots, so every time you take it out or replace it, it sharpens the knife.

My concerns are metal filings and premature material loss. The latter should be no more than regular sharpening, though, I'd think.

Anyone have one of these? What's your experience?

Please note, I'm NOT looking for suggestions on how to sharpen knives.
 

graybeard65

Tele-Meister
Joined
Jun 30, 2016
Posts
445
Age
56
Location
Rochester, MN
My experience with blocks to store knives, sharpening or otherwise, can be a really hard thing to clean effectively. They can get crud in them that is nearly impossible to get out.

You won’t ever find one in my kitchen…I have too many food oogies after many, many years in the business.
 

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Joined
Dec 10, 2020
Posts
1,113
Location
New Mexico
So I'm thinking about getting one of those self-sharpening sets that have ceramic wheels in the block slots, so every time you take it out or replace it, it sharpens the knife.

My concerns are metal filings and premature material loss. The latter should be no more than regular sharpening, though, I'd think.

Anyone have one of these? What's your experience?

Please note, I'm NOT looking for suggestions on how to sharpen knives.
Wet stone dude. It's therapeutic.
 

radtz

Tele-Holic
Joined
May 30, 2021
Posts
924
Location
Wisconsin, USA
My experience with blocks to store knives, sharpening or otherwise, can be a really hard thing to clean effectively. They can get crud in them that is nearly impossible to get out.

You won’t ever find one in my kitchen…I have too many food oogies after many, many years in the business.
I'm not sure why this would be an issue if you only put clean, dry knives into the block. That said, I don't own one. If we're talking about steel shavings, then wiping the knife before using it should take care of that issue.
 

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
May 20, 2017
Posts
8,844
Age
72
Location
Long Island, NY
I don’t understand what’s so hard about sharpening knives. I put a little cooking oil on the unglazed ceramic on the bettor of a coffee mug and sharpen away. I sharpen damaged blades on wet 400 grit on a rubber sanding block followed by 600 followed by the mug. My knives have lasted decades.
 

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Posts
642
Age
42
Location
Virginia
Buy the proper tools, a 400 grit diamond stone of adequate size, a 1000, and 4000 two sided water or diamond stone. If you go water stone you will also need a flattening stone. Learn how to sharpen the knives on them. Lifetime skill, its not "easy" but its not hard either. Patience is all you need.
 

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Posts
7,095
Location
Nebraska
Nothing beats a proper hand sharpening...nothing. A lot of shortcut devices out there and some are pretty convenient, but you have to get the angle right, pressure right, etc. to get great results.

For a simple utility knife, go for it, but for a hunting knife or fine chef knives...nope.
 

SacDAve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Joined
Dec 23, 2009
Posts
7,784
Age
70
Location
Rocklin Ca.
I just sharpened some of my kitchen knives 5 minutes ago. well i thought I was pretty good at sharpening knives, have a nice set of water stones, a couple iron’s . This Christmas my daughter bought me a Chefs Choice 15X5 knife sharpener…………all I can say unbelievable how sharp this tool gets knives scary sharp
.
 

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
Joined
Mar 17, 2018
Posts
1,375
Age
70
Location
the mountains of Virginia
+1 on the Chefs Choice, any model. We've used one for many years. Perfect for someone who doesn't want to sharpen. Gets them plenty sharp, but not as sharp as a human who knows what they're doing. I've never been able to get better than the machine, so I rely on it. I have friends who can put it to shame, but I can't keep asking them to do it for me...
 

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Joined
Jul 26, 2013
Posts
1,068
Location
east georgia
My experience with blocks to store knives, sharpening or otherwise, can be a really hard thing to clean effectively. They can get crud in them that is nearly impossible to get out.

You won’t ever find one in my kitchen…I have too many food oogies after many, many years in the business.
I use wall mounted magnetic strips for my knives. With these you can use knives of any type, not just a set that fits the block. My assortment of German, Japanese and Korean blades are handily available without eating up counter space.
 

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Joined
May 31, 2019
Posts
3,181
Location
SE PA - Doylestown PA
Actual sharpening is only a periodic thing...using a steel before use to keep the edge clean is all that is necessary for a decent knife. I'm not a fan of "knife blocks"...I keep mine in a drawer in a flat block with individual slots that keeps them organized and damage-free. And no counter space loses its life. I should note to be up-front that at our previous home and when our kids were younger, due to the older having mental illness, knives had to be in a locked drawer anyway, so the method I used there continues now and I remain not a fan of counter-top knife blocks. Even after culling, I probably have too many knives since 95% of the time, I use my nakiri and the other 5% is either a paring knife or the bread knife. Of course, it's sacrilege to say "too many knives" just as it's the same for "too many tools" or "too many musical instruments"...
 

Winky

Tele-Meister
Joined
Nov 6, 2011
Posts
471
Location
Canada
My experience is that those sharpening knife set-ups work quite well. I just had a cheap one (bough 40 years ago), and still have it in my workshop. The metal shaving thing isn't and issue, as it is just a few atoms each time. The knife stays adequately sharp.

Having said that I now use a single whetstone and a steel for honing. It's more work but I enjoy it. The knives are very sharp..
 

Winky

Tele-Meister
Joined
Nov 6, 2011
Posts
471
Location
Canada
Actual sharpening is only a periodic thing...using a steel before use to keep the edge clean is all that is necessary for a decent knife. I'm not a fan of "knife blocks"...I keep mine in a drawer in a flat block with individual slots that keeps them organized and damage-free. And no counter space loses its life. I should note to be up-front that at our previous home and when our kids were younger, due to the older having mental illness, knives had to be in a locked drawer anyway, so the method I used there continues now and I remain not a fan of counter-top knife blocks. Even after culling, I probably have too many knives since 95% of the time, I use my nakiri and the other 5% is either a paring knife or the bread knife. Of course, it's sacrilege to say "too many knives" just as it's the same for "too many tools" or "too many musical instruments"...
We have fairly large set of german knives, but our go-tos for 90% of stuff are the two Japanese knives we have. We also have a knife drawer with slots. My wife also hates counter-top blocks (I quite like them) so we put one in when we did the renovation.

We have a bread knife, but it is a point of pride for me that a plain edge carving knife is kept sharp enough to work just fine on any bread.
 




New Posts

Top