I don't want it to be versatile, I want it to be great sounding!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by p8t8r, Sep 14, 2012.

1. p8t8r

p8t8r Tele-Meister

Let's list one trick pony pedals. Overdrives, delays, fuzzes, whatever :)

2. Carvalho Diablo

Carvalho Diablo Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reverb and chorus. Both fantastic sounding, dead simple pedals.

3. edipo

edipo Tele-Meister

Barber LTD - i wouldn't call it a one-trick-pony, but it's dead simple and sounds great;

Boss DM-2 (and it's BBE clone) - you can do a lot with it, but only if you want to;

Boss OC-2

EHX Small Stone

Zvex Super Duper

4. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Ibanez Jet Driver...instantly became my tone...closest to the tone in my head...very limited gain range but what's there is fantastic.

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

1. The Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz and all of its variants/descendents, which most notably includes the WHE Red Llama. There are few other pedals I know that:

- have nice harmonics in the OD sound

- cleans up great

- has a nice fuzz character at higher settings that can be absolutely useful even if it's not trendy to combine fuzz and OD right now

- has a fairly flat EQ, and IMO requires no tone control either

- IMO gets more tweed'ish sounding than quite a few of the current tweed pedals on the market

...The last point is important IMO, since the TSF/RL/et al generally embraces the vibe of a good tweed amp - utter simplicity. Set it low for cleaner tones, crank it up to get your grit on, and nothing else to fool with. And - the circuit itself is simple, just like those great old amps. And not overly simple, just like those great old amps.

2. "Fuzz Face on steroids" - when the gains of silicon transistors are "high enough but not too high," you end up with just a great bombastic fuzz tone that will still clean up, and it will typically cut much better than a low gain germie FF, which is cool in its own right. But the uber FF is more of a "one good trick" kinda format. Oftentimes, it doesn't even need a fuzz control.

...I know folks like their Superfuzzes and Fuzzrites and such, but I still think a wound up FF does a better single trick.

3. Runoffgroove.com Peppermill - very low gain DIY OD/dirty boost project, recently introduced as "slightly more turn-key" thanks to the GuitarPCB.com T.O.D.D. While the GuitarPCB.com variations make it more flexible with a tone control and dual clipping selector switch, it really doesn't need those things for the one good trick that it does. The Peppermill/TODD is so subtle that it will just never get more than brief consideration before being rejected by many users, but it is such a great sounding light drive/harmonics/grit solution.

4. I guess that along with these, I'll add the "basic idea" behind the Kendrick Buffalo Pfuz. While I think that the boost switch is kinda unnecessary, and this pedal may be a tad underwhelming/polite for some fuzz users, it is also the type of fuzz that the OD loving crowd could possibly bond with. The fuzz never gets out of control, and it behaves in a "linear like fashion" like many traditional OD's do. This is not surprising since it uses a simple op amp with clipping diodes in the negative feedback loop just like an OD, but the pedal is voiced for a fuzz quality, and the diode choice gives a compressed fuzzy sound as opposed to an OD one. Also, the input impedance and biasing of the LM741 chip mimic how a transistor would be biased, so you really don't get an OD sound despite a chip being used (many "authorities" claim that transistors are necessary for a proper fuzz). I think this is part of the reason why Kendrick used the big case, no status LED, and no D.C. jack - didn't want folks to reject it because the circuit was non-traditional.

Those are 4 pedals that I can plug in, spend about 15 seconds turning the knobs (tops!) and just get to playing w/o any further knob tweaking distractions, at all...

6. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

What he said.

images.jpg

The Tube Sound Fuzz is not a pedal in and of itself, just a great original circuit used by the variants/descendents.

7. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

mxr phase 45

Sent from my SGS-II using TDPRI

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.