I don't want another dog, but I saw Toto's twin last night at the store.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I have the exact opposite problem. Working at an animal hospital, volunteering at a shelter, and fostering rescue dogs pretty much ensures that the only decision I ever have to make is whether I have enough time, space, health and patience for yet another dog :)

But I totally get it. My Brutus was my true best friend, a once-in-a-lifetime dog, and there will never be another like him. Whenever I see a dog that resembles him a little, I automatically favor them... but there's so many ways that dogs can be wonderful. My advice is to go in the opposite direction and avoid unnecessary comparisons.

I'm not a big fan of "meant to happen" thinking, but the best dogs often come in to your life at the exact right time. It's like anything else in life - luck is mostly a matter of seeing the opportunities that are already there.

Toto'sDad and Djentleman Dan like this.
  2. Chinacat

Chinacat TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Rory is an American Staffy supposedly - at least that's what the RSPCA had him down as. He's got the colouration of a staffy certainly, but whether that's actually a breed I've got no idea. I suspect he's a mix. The original energiser dog with no off switch. A dancer which has resulted in two busted cruciate ligaments - he's come back stronger than ever:)

Jasmine, who has everyone in the household firmly under control, is predominantly a Jack Russell with other bits mixed in. I don't pick favourites but I think Jasmine and I have a relationship much the same as Toto and Toto's Dad. She'll insert herself between me and Rory so she's gets the attention and isn't ashamed to go meerkat at every opportunity.

[​IMG]

Bit big for a lap dog

[​IMG]

I made the mistake of letting Jasmine lick my coffee cup - she's now a coffee addict. If I take too long to finish my coffee she does the doggie equivalent of tapping her 'watch'.

When we got her we didn't realise that she problems with her front legs. The ulna and radial bones were growing at different rates so her legs were deforming. I'm a great believer in pet insurance - a trip to Brisbane for an operation ain't cheap. We're more than ahead of the game in terms of the premiums.

[​IMG]

haggardfan1 and Stubee like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Chinacat,

What a cute pair of buddies. I think it's cool when you have two, because when you're gone, they have each other for company.

4. Chinacat

Toto'sDad,

I hope not to be going for a good long time:) But I will witness the passing of these two - the price of love. At that time I'll be facing the same dilemma as yourself. I will be getting on but I think I'll look to adopt an older dog, maybe one that's been in a shelter for a while, and provide a good home for what time we have left.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Man, what a beautiful post! You have a good heart! A couple of months ago, the local NBC affliate had a segment about a terminally ill dog at a local shelter. They were pleading for a viewer to adopt the dog and sure enough, a family did adopt that dog and will let the dog live out it's remaining days in a loving home. I haven't heard a followup story, so I don't know if the dog is still here, but that's not the point. In these days of division, I'm glad there are still good hearted people out there.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's time for another new and unique 4-legged personality to modify your life forever. Except for a few times in my childhood and my first marriage (which was another kind of life modification) I have never gone more than a few months without a dog. I may not outlive the next one, but for the time I'm around it will have a great home. I too will probably pick an older dog from a shelter. I wish you lots of new posts about the next dog.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I meant when you're gone somewhere to the store, or something, I didn't say it right, but I think you knew that.:) When we got Toto, a neighbor told us that Toto used to howl lost when we were out somewhere when he was a pup. That's how we ended up with Bella. We auditioned Bella with Toto before we brought her home, She and Toto hit if off right off, and they were simply grand companions for us their whole lives. They kept each other company when we were out and not more howling. I posted about us losing Bella earlier this year. It is so strange after all these years to completely alone in the house.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. Chinacat

We did the audition as well . . . . . and didn't think things were going at all well. It's was all teeth and snarls for the first week. We were preparing to return Jazzy and then she stuck her head into his mouth and licked his ears. We realised they were just playing and maybe establishing a pecking order too.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Ours did the same, once they had sorted out pack status in their new pack all was well. We also were worried about what would happen to our dogs if something happened to us. We have a friend, a doggy person, who will take our dogs to live with her if we die before they do.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.