I don't want another dog, but I saw Toto's twin last night at the store.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 21, 2018.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Hey, T D sounds like you already realize that another dog is in your future. It's always tough loss.... My bass player just lost his golden of 14yrs.
    My wife called our last dog "the world's
    best dog" we got a new dog about 6 months later. We've had Mabel abt 3 yrs
    No took my wife about 2 yrs to stop saying" she's a good dog~but she's no
    Ellie".
    You'll know when the time is right!

Toto'sDad and birddog01 like this.
  2. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

Yep, this was the first sign that you really do want another dog. The not wanting another dog is what you are trying to convince yourself of. This was your first sign, the seed is planted & once you realize Toto is ok with it you will search out a new pup.

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  3. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Been 9 months since I lost TeddytheStandardPoodle.

Still hurts every day. Only dog people understand.

Thanks for sharing this sad tale and for helping the lucky nice man who has such a good little friend.

I guess we’ll know when we’re ready... I’m going skiing this winter no dog til at least the spring!

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

No, not silly at all. Some dogs are just four legged furry humans. They just have a certain kind of personality and unusually sharp instincts. I'm certain Toto was like that. He was a very special little guy.

I feel that same way with my daughters dog. I've been dog sitting with him ever since they got him about 5 years ago and Henry and I have a bond like that. We can communicate with just looks. I can read him can he can read me and my moods. We have that unique kind of relationship too.

Edit: For the sake of reference here's Henry keeping an eye on me as I type. He can be an even bigger couch potato than me at times and if he's there first he owns it. LOL

henry.JPG

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

When my mother passed, many older women began looking like her...no disrespect intended, all around. Besides, looks are are only part of the package

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

You can't replace one pet with another, but you can start a new adventure with a new pet. Each one has something different to bring to the table.

We lost our Ginger cat after almost 20 years earlier this year. She was a one of a kind. But I may get another cat at my new digs. I need to see if I'm ready to be a solo pet owner again. There are six cats (and two dogs) where I'm currently living. None of them can hold a candle to Ginger, personality-wise.

stratoman1 and Chinacat like this.
  7. Chinacat

Chinacat TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

When Otis died in October, some years ago, I told myself I'd wait until after Christmas before looking for another dog. He was my first and very special. I lasted 3 days before hitting the RSPCA website. The house was just empty without his huge personality.

Not a replacement but another friend I could rescue from a shelter. Rory has been a wonderful companion but very full on so we did consider another dog to tone him down a bit. Jasmine entered our lives when we went to buy cat food and we came out with a Jack Russell as well. The two of them get on like a house on fire and it's been a great success.

Each dog is different and brings their own unique style to your life. You can't replace Toto but you can offer a place in your heart for another friend.

I followed your previous posts and shed a few tears for you.

Stubee, Toto'sDad and Djentleman Dan like this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^^What kind of dog is Rory ?

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Thank you very much.

soulman969 likes this.
  10. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, right. The Woman and I had each had dogs in our separate pasts. When we got together, we decided we wanted the freedom to travel, to come home late if we wanted to, to not be encumbered by a four-legged dependent.

That lasted until we found Rusty in a parking lot. After leaving him at a shelter for two weeks, The Woman wanted to go check on him just to “see how he was doing.”

And that’s how two people who didn’t want one got a dog.

Djentleman Dan, Stubee and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

That's the thing about those dogs, it's kind of like messing around with a guitar for just a minute, next thing you know....;)

Dennyf likes this.
  12. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

The other night I saw one-man prog/metal/comedy phenomenon "Brian Kenney Fresno" at the Caravan Lounge in San Jose. I knew from following his FB page that he'd recently lost his little doggie companion of several years. During his performance a young lady came into the bar with a puppy dog of some sort on a leash. BKF looked down and said "cute dog". Then he paused and said, "now would be an inconvenient time to burst into tears" and got back to his performance.

Djentleman Dan and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Thanks for posting that, I totally understand. I have trouble going to the store, because I always shopped for Toto when we shopped for ourselves. I gave away his toys, his little bed, and all the extra dog food and goodies to a lady who could use them the other day. It was someone purgative, and heart breaking at the same time. It was good though to know his things would be put to good use.

14. Toto'sDad

Thanks Dougstrum.

15. Toto'sDad

Thank you for you kind post Chinacat. I keep weighing our age against the reality that if we should get another dog that it would outlive us, I keep coming back to that. In some ways, I am glad that I did outlive Toto because as hard as it's been on me, what on earth would have happened to him without me there to watch over him? I contemplated that many times in my old age. We have a great responsibility to our pets. I know family would have tried to do the right thing for him, but I also understand that they have lives of their own, and both my children are very involved in their careers. If I did adopt another dog, I would investigate some means of assuring that the dog would be cared for after my demise.

Chinacat and Stubee like this.
  16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Two years to get over it...

Never again...

But then...

1537638381738.jpg

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I missed this one originally and haven't read all the replies...mostly cause crying wears me out. I want so bad for you to find another buddy. You have so much to give and there's a little guy out there that needs it. Some people are just made to have a buddy and exchange love. I think you are one...

18. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Bringing a lump to my throat.
    Eleven years since Bilbo was put to sleep and easily one of the worst days of my life. I even threw away the clothes I wore that day.
    We weren’t going to replace him but within weeks had another rescue terrier, Alfie. He’s now old and starting to shut down and I keep on expecting him to find him passed away. Don’t know if he’ll eventually have a successor - I suspect he will.

19. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Never say never. I thought Rascal, my Belgian shepherd, was the greatest dog that ever lived...and he was, in his time. He just was great in different ways than Flash is now, and Flash's brother before him. Before Rascal, I had a sheltie mix named Hobo for nine years, and he was the best dog ever. Hmm, I'm seeing a pattern here...

I've been very blessed to have had dogs that were sentient, intelligent, and very personable. Maybe all people perceive their dogs that way, I don't know. I've met dogs that didn't seem to have so much on the ball. My dad had a dog--I won't mention the breed so as not to offend anybody--that knew all sorts of what I call parlor tricks, but didn't have much common sense.

After my second divorce, for the first time in my whole life I was without a dog--for ten years. I used the excuse that I lived in an apartment, worked ten- and twelve-hour night shift, and so forth and so on.

When I finally moved back into a house last spring, I told myself the hog wire fence wouldn't hold a dog, and I was right. (That's why I now own two of the biggest wire kennels money can buy, and Flash stays safely in the house :rolleyes:. We have a big run outside too, with 6' chain link, and he stays out there when the weather is nice.)

Even being around my girlfriend's Schnauzer kinda made me wistful for a dog these last few years. Flash is a bigger dog than would be ideal, he's still a bit rowdy and rambunctious, and he still has to be watched closely in the kitchen. Last night, for instance, he relieved us of an entire bag of frozen chicken thighs (boneless, thank God) that were thawing to be grilled, but he doesn't do that sort of thing often anymore and I wouldn't take anything for him.

I guess I was afraid that if I got a dog after Rascal that I might be somehow disappointed; but as it turns out, that wouldn't have been fair to Flash or me.

FWIW. I've always been a firm believer that dogs find me, not the other way around. Your and your dear wife's hearts will tell you if and when it's time, and Toto knows he could never be replaced.

20. Toto'sDad

Thanks WT, I sure do miss my pal. I was dead serious, I would have given the guy a thousand bucks for that dog, or we could have bargained up from there. I've cooled down now though, and know my reaction was because in my mind, just for a moment I thought it was was Toto. He was the spitting image of Toto, I've never seen another like him.

Chinacat and william tele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.