I don't want another dog, but I saw Toto's twin last night at the store.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Last night, when my wife and I stopped off at the little Neighborhood WalMart we were walking around me pushing the cart, momma putting things in the cart. We encountered a discussion with a very presentable looking fellow holding his dog. Now, I'm used to seeing people in various stores with goats, pigs, chickens, moo cows, and camels in tow as "service" animals. I've got to admit I was shocked to see the store employee getting slightly annoyed with the fellow for having his little dog with him. They said he'd need a leash for the dog. I walked over to see if I could be of assistance (stick my nose in someone else's business) because so help me this dog was Toto's twin. Only he looked like Toto at about nine months of age since that was how old the dog was.

I was so taken aback, that I told the store guy we would help the man if need be. The store guy went on his way, kind of brushing the whole thing off. The fellow said it was his wife's "service" dog, and had done her a lot of good. I didn't inquire about the woman, or why he had the dog. I simply asked if I could hold the little dog for just a minute because I had lost my little buddy about a month ago (exactly 30 days ago). He said sure, and the little dog came right to me, and I held him for a minute. He even smelled like Toto. I don't know why I ran onto this guy, but I'm glad I did, it was like the dream I had about Toto, it felt good holding his twin.

If the guy hadn't have already told me it was his wife's service dog, I would have offered him a thousand dollars on the spot for him. If that wasn't enough, I would have maxed out the ATM for the difference. Alas, I handed the little dog back, and thanked him for letting me hold him.

grant53, Teleterr, DonM and 28 others like this.
  2. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

that is a touching good story.
    Pleas don't let totoknow about this. give him some atta boys and some his favorite treats of treats.
    so many off your post have an endearing quality .;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes you do, sir.

4. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

There is a little puppy somewhere who needs a nice home . . .

5. Toto'sDad

I would only be too happy to give him some of his favorite treats.

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

That run in wasn't a coincidence.

7. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

30 days!! You are made of stone, sir!

My then-wife and I could not take it more than 2 weeks! Then we started doing some serious telephone work. Found our new baby after 2, or was it 3?, days. Have to wait for the little fella for another four weeks. Then our home was complete again!

Djentleman Dan and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Tough call there! Go with your heart. If you feel that a replacement is necessary, then it will be.

Toto seemed to be too cool, for any dog to take his place. On the other hand, there are a million Toto’s Dads.:D:lol:

9. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Get thee to the pound.
    After a our last dog died we found that within a month we could not live without having a four footed member of the family. We went to the pound (Australian version) for one and rescued two. Best thing we ever did.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Clearly Toto sent a messenger to try and bring you to your senses!
    Dogkind is in need of your services...

Somewhere, another dog wants you!

RedRock, Mouth, Mike Eskimo and 4 others like this.
  11. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Is there a rescue society for Toto's breed? My wife rescued a St. Bernard once. We were able to provide Priscilla with a loving home for the last years of her life, after many years of abusive treatment.

12. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, that’s a good story TD.

Dogs get to me. Got to our cottage tonight to do a bunch of work and the power was out. So much for my planned dinner, so much for the furnace when it’s dropping to 41F tonight. I grumbled but my dog Josie seemed fine with the whole deal.

A few hundred branches down so after we found candles and bought more ice I started picking them up so I could mow the lawn and get ready to pull the boat out tomorrow etc etc. So much work to do, oh my poor self. Then Josie proudly presented herself with some kinda excitement smeared from neck to chest. I swore and threw my gloves down, got a buncha towels, dog shampoo, bucket and leash and called her to the lake. Leash? Lake? Both are great! She ran ecstatic circles around me to the dock then joyously enjoyed her bath. So much for being an angry human.

It’s so tough to lose a dog because they bring out the best in us. My best to ya TD.

13. Toto'sDad

True on both counts. The little dog I saw at the store was most unusual because I had never seen one that looked so much like Toto. The little dog hooked right up with me too. I am dead serious, if he hadn't been a service dog that was helping someone with a health issue, I would have tried to buy him on the spot. After cooling down, I realized for a number of reasons, I really don't want to pursue getting another dog, but that little fella could have and did change my mind momentarily at least. The main reason I don't want to actively pursue getting another dog is, Toto was just too cool for any dog to take his place. After thinking it over, I realized because of his strong resemblance to Toto, I was just transferring my feelings to the other dog.

Stubee and Stringbanger like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Great story Stubee! Dogs can just make you forget all the stuff going on around you, and put you back right again. Toto has pulled me out of the dumps so many times. I'm doing better with it, a little more each day, but sometime I think I feel him by my feet, a current of air will whip by my leg, and I think it's him giving my calf a lick to let me know he's close by. He was comical in doing that. When he would go outside, when he came back in, if I was at the computer, he'd always give the calf of my leg a little tiny lick kind of letting me know he was back by my feet again, where he usually always lay. Josie probably thought you needed a little prodding to get your mind off your chores. When you finished cleaning her up, you were both back on track.

Stubee likes this.
  15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry to hear about Toto TD. That's a tough loss. :(

Maybe dogs have twins too.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

My son has suggested that. The only reason I was taken with the little dog at the store was because he looked so much like Toto. He was a sweet little dog, but he didn't have the Toto presence that Toto had right from the getgo. I can't describe it to you, but people could feel it when he came into a room, he filled it up, even though he wasn't a very big dog. My wife said he was a little human dressed up in a dog suit. That might the best way to describe him.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Thanks SM969. I was startled by how much the little dog looked like Toto when Toto was his age. It was like looking at him from now back through time to the past. Funny thing is, when the guy handed him over to me, he just snuggled right down in my arms. Man, it was tough handing him back. I know it's silly to be as involved as I was with my little dog, but he was just so special. The whole world feels and looks different to me. I know people say I should get another dog, but Toto was just something different. We bonded in ten seconds or less when he was a pup, and never were hardly apart for the rest of his days.

18. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Brother, maybe just swing by the closest shelter tomorrow and quickly stroll through....maybe you'll dislike the vibe and that's ok - you can just bail.
    Maybe it'll be different than that.

Quincy turned 6 this Tuesday (adopted at 12 weeks 12/18/12, so I declared 9/18 his official bday). He's exactly the way you describe Toto...and he goes everywhere with me. A human in a little dog suit with too much personality to fit in a room. It's not silly to be as involved with your little dog as you are/were, because it's the same with me and Q and I absolutely get it.

IMG_2910 (2).JPG

19. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a cat guy. When I had to put my previous guy down I was done. I couldn't imagine having another. Whelp, a year or so later his practically twin sauntered into my yard to hang with all the neighbors cats, sunning themselves, doing cat things. He found my open window 1 night & never left, except when I moved, he panicked. I didn't come back to that town for 6 months. When I went looking for him as soon as I walked to his former owners home & called his name he came running out of the shadows at 1am. He's still with me holding down the fort.

I know he's a different cat, but sometimes I wonder. Same disposition, same habits, color, etc... Another winner.

Go check out the pound or whatever you fancy TD. You'll know when it's time.

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

TD I think in your heart you know the answer to your own question. Get another Toto as a good dog deserves a good buddy-plus you need to keep walking.

telemnemonics and Djentleman Dan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.