I don't understand why drive in ordering,,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

This is usually due to the business not wanting to pay out the money for new camera upgrades. Believe me, when a manager's compensation is based on keeping a branch's operating cost down from quarter to quarter the last thing on their mind is installing a new high pixel camera on the teller window and then there is the issue of the image storage device. I've seen businesses spend a lot of money on high quality cameras but the storage and playback software is garbage so they don't get the benefit of the money they spent on the cameras.

ASATKat likes this.
  2. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Thank you for your very informative post. I now understand and will now step out of the thread.

Ok derailers, it's all yours,

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Only one of the above.

While "good" CB mics are available, most of them aren't. The mics are generally crap. That goes for the mics on both ends. They're whatever the low bid contractor had on hand.

Amateur radio operators seek out and use good quality mics.

Aircraft generally have better mics than LE. There's a classic Electro-Voice mic that works pretty well. It feels like you have something in your hand and it works like you have something in your hand. Combine a good mic with noise cancelling headphones, you can actually hear the tower guiding you into a TCA.

Cheap CB mics are sometimes ballasted with lead to make them feel substantial.

I don't know but I been told the FCC is giving more and more frequencies to cell phones.

Same goes for intercoms and closed circuit TV. It's usually whatever cheap crap the contractor has on hand. It never gets attention as long as it works.

Do you think the youngster that take your burger order is going to complain about the crappy audio? Or are they going to be a "team player"?

ASATKat likes this.
  4. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

well done on the re-write!!!
    Apologies for taking your thread off the rails no harm meant

I want a large orange drink

OldDave, BorderRadio and ASATKat like this.
  5. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Let's not forget the drive in order takers.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I now know what I must have for lunch :lol:

fendertx and ASATKat like this.
  7. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

You guys are totally missing my question,,,

How can/do us Tele bangers fix this world wide problem, like we all could donate our best mics to the local fast food drive thru?

lol

fendertx likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Adding on to the issues is the antennae. They are relatively design-restrictive on vehicles, not to mention physical obstructions nearby. Whereas, an airplane has minimal physical obstructions. Squelch is a bugger, and probably should be adjusted more often than realistically performed. Another thing to mention is getting your ears "trained" to eliminate the additional sounds, bad mics, and lazy users to decipher the intended signal.

9. BigDaddyLH

I thought these drive in places were going to use bluetooth so that you could use your car's audio to order/.

ASATKat likes this.
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

It's been quite a while since I took flying lessons (I never got my license) but the antennae on aircraft are generally no larger than what's already on a police car or fire truck. A traditional FM radio antenna on a car is longer than anything I remember being on the aircraft.

Aircraft have way fewer line of sight issues which helps a ton but I don't really think that explains a lot either.

Our cell phones are digital radios.. they have crystal clear audio with basically no antenna space or transmitter power. I don't really think it's a technical reason emergency services haven't moved on. Supposedly cell phones can stay in contact with a tower at > 20mi away in ideal situations. It's more institutional slowness.

I didn't mention it before but I think they are also worried about different departments ending up with incompatible radios.. then when they call in help from neighboring jurisdictions they could have communication issues. Again not really a technical problem, more of a bureaucratic problem.

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Whoa nice gear change w/no clutch!

At The Drive-In posts to ensue...

Rick gets ATDI, ok new level of respect for the guy :)

Some Arc Arsenal for the heck of it...

fendertx likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife and I tried using a drive thru at Burger King one time, and we kept repeating our order and the guy kept repeating it back wrong. Finally we said, we'll just pull around front and come inside. He said, no, no, no, we can do this just tell me one more time what you want, we did, and he repeated it back wrong again. We drove around and went inside, and it STILL took a couple times for him to get it right. Either he was hard of hearing, or my wife and I both have pretty bad speech impediments.

T Bone Slort likes this.
  14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Go digital...

591E4F6A-A6B6-429A-9EB2-0BDEF79D69E6.png

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Would it be acceptable if they diverted all their resources into making the audio better, and left the food the way it is.

I'd rather have better food, even if the worker and I can't hear ourselves at all.

(Which is often the case anyway: Airplanes either taking off or landing at nearby Louis Armstrong Nat'l - she just motions for ya to come around to the window).

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Because the people paying to install these "radios" are not willing to pay for high fidelity.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Since many of the drive in places are ran and or franchised out by large corporate conglomoerates,
    any type of update to any capital item or taxable items has to be approved probably by
    boards. In lieu of that, keep things status quo is the mission for shareholders.

You could probably make a killing if you present to the board some new device like (xvive)
    or other bluetooth item.

18. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

This.. I was thinking about police & fire.. the drive in restaurant is something different.

If it's something giant like McDonald's it could be McDonald's corporate supplies it all and says you have to buy what they're selling to get the franchise and they haven't felt like updating what they sell to the franchisees since 1980 or something.

Newer places like Starbucks seem to have better audio quality. But I don't go to many drive in's... Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks is about all.

uriah1 likes this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

As many times as they remodel and expand the restaurants, I think they could afford to do both.

20. BigDaddyLH

The Starbucks I drive-through on the way to work has video cameras as well. Does anyone really want to see me before my first coffee of the day?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.