I don't understand used prices in the current market...

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Which stuff loses the most when you come to sell it, high end or budget gear? I picked up a year-old CS strat for £2.5k which was something like £3.8k new. That's a big kick in the teeth for the seller. Same model is now £4.2k with the latest price hikes.

Higher priced stuff for sure ... as a percentage it's kind of the same often but obviously the higher the price the more money that percentage is.

My mate just bought a mint condition 70's vintera Jazz bass, retail is almost a grand, he paid £600. ... so that's basically a 40% loss for the seller. ... but it's only £400 loss compared to £1700 on that CS.

The answer is that new stuff loses the most money, if you buy used at a decent price you'll probably never lose money and it doesn't matter. If you buy new, you are almost always going to lose money when you sell it.... unless it becomes rare or collectable for some reason.

jtees4

Tele-Afflicted
Sellers can do what they want, it doesn't bother me (years ago I worried about crap like this). I can sell my stuff at any price I want, and if it doesn't sell, whatever..it's up to me. No skin off my back as a buyer or a seller. Having said that, yes, some sellers are nuts BUT so what? they won't sell and that's that. Same with buyers, buy what you want and pay what you are willing and whatever.

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
I'm hoping most people will do their research before buying anything used offered on the internet. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
I remember seeing Chase Bliss pedals (Bliss Factory especially) being listed for silly money, 3 or 4 times MSRP, during late 2020 and early 2021. Now they're back down to C$600 but that's the market for you.

I got my CB Brothers pedal for just over MSRP (no longer made) in July last year and I'll likely get that back again when it comes to moving it on.

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
One of the things that drives me nuts about people selling used gear is the way the word "vintage" is tossed around.

Yes, your used guitar is...well, it's "used." But "used" !== "vintage", most of the time anyway. A beaten up, corroded pile of junk from the late '70s is still a beaten up pile of junk if I have to spend money making it work. Adding "vintage" to the title of your add doesn't make it so.

Hell, I'm in the back end of my 60s, which according to some, makes my old ass "vintage," but I doubt I'd be commanding a premium price.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I gots a set of slightly used Darco 10-46 electric strings with a CUSTOM wound G, I'll sell for $10, free shipping to anywhere I can see from my front porch.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Depends on what you call insane. Here, everything is expensive, try $7 for an egg sandwich! Guitars go for thousands.
+1, I don't see anything particularly unique happening with guitar pricing that's not happening with many other things. I can easily delay buying or do without a lot of products and services. It's the quick trip to the market for milk and 3 or 4 other basic staples that rings up $50.00 USD that's most disconcerting.

As others have said, Don't Buy. Get creative and refuse to purchase. At some point businesses will go to plan B and they'll have to get creative in finding ways to offer better value. This won't happen with people simply complaining but buying anyway. I won't buy lunch or dinner out except for very special occasions. $15.00 for a sandwich, a Coke and a bag of chips is just silly.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
New (to you) gear doesn't make you a better player.

New (to you) gear doesn't buy you time to play it.

Use those facts however you want.

Signed,
A Guy With Way Too Much Stuff For His Skill Level