I Don't Think Our Wireless Weather Station Is Working

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Aug 21, 2019.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

20190818_152954.jpg

That outdoor temp would be just shy of 50 C. It was probably only about 83 outside when this was taken. I had just put a new battery in the remote and aired it out, because it was showing 20 degrees low; now it's reading really high.

The hottest day recorded in Cleveland, OH is 104; Akron, OH recorded 101 in the same year (1988).

Time for a new unit. This one is 15 years old, so we got our money's worth. I have been reading reviews, and it seems the new ones either work, or die in 4 months; nobody makes a "good one" anymore because they would be too expensive. Oh well.

The Wife love to have these; she is always worried about what to wear outside, especially in the winter. Maybe I can get one with a humidity display as well.

No, I don't have a point. It just cracks me up to walk by the back door and see readings this high.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Was the sensor in the direct sunlight? Was there a nuclear explosion? Just grabbing for straws here...

Straydogger and Obsessed like this.
  3. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

On extremely hot days mine will spike too even though it's not getting direct sunlight. It's because it's on my covered balcony and on a hot and humid day that creates a heck of a heat trap....but 83° showing up as 122° is another thing altogether.

coloradojeff likes this.
  4. unixfish

No nukes that I know of - my wife's seventh eye just appeared this morning, and I think it can pick up radiation. :lol::lol::lol:

It sometimes gets direct sunlight in the late afternoon; although it never registered higher than 105 on really hot, sunny days before. Now, even at night, it still says 105 when it is in the mid 70s outside. I just think - nee, know - the outdoor sensor finally is giving up the ghost. 15 years in Ohio weather finally did it in. It is mounted just below the soffit, so it rarely gets wet, but the humidity and temp swings in our area finally did it in.

We've hit 95 in the last 15 years, with 80% humidity. We've also hit -15 in 2014. 110 degree swing.

Paul in Colorado and bumnote like this.
  5. unixfish

Yeah; I replied to Paul that this thing is even reading 105 at midnight, when the outside temp has cooled to the mid 70s. It's time for a replacement.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This is my second one going on for about ten years now. Have you cleaned the outside sensor or replaced those batteries? IMG_4064.JPG

7. unixfish

IT was reading low, so I brought it in, took it apart, wiped it off, replaced the batter, and let it sit inside without the cover for a week to make sure it aired out completely. It seemed to be working OK inside, but once I buttoned it back up and took it back out, it started to read silly high.

8. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

I bought one of these last year to replace an old one similar to yours
    Price was so low I figured it probably wouldn't survive the winter or this summer., for $20 I figured I'd give it a shot. Works fine and still on original batteries. If I really need to know in-depth weather I go online, but this is pretty accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076S2PH2Q/?tag=tdpri-20

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought extra outside units for the shop and the under-house crawl space where my water pump is located, so that I can monitor these temps during the winter. Perhaps just purchasing a new sensor. I know that it is kind of a gamble, but might be worth a try.

10. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

Temp/RH sensors have avout 3-7 year life, depending on environmental contaminants.

If it's a Davis instruments weather station the element is replaceable at moderate cost.

11. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Vulture pooped on the probe?

12. unixfish

Wow, that was specific. Personal experience? :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.