1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Don't Recall Fender Making a Set-neck Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Old Tele Hack, Apr 27, 2018.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Indeed. Very thin, sharp shoulders, very flat radius. For me, very uncomfortable... and I own (and love) an '90 Charvel shredder with a thin neck and flatter radius. But that FMT HH neck was like playing a popsicle stick.

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

They were MIK - made by Cort if I'm remembering correctly. Cort moved production of these to Indonesia 5-6 years ago.

I remember the Custom Shop models - they were made in the early-mid 1990s. Fender had several of them over the years; the first "series" had 3 models, all with maple tops:

1. 2 humbuckers and a fixed bridge (the current crop of MIK/Indonesian models are kind of copies of those USAs
    2. 2 humbuckers and a tremolo (2 post, cast saddles and snap-in arm)
    3. HSH with a Floyd Rose

None of them had pickguards, and I think they had the "scraped binding". One of them had a 25" scale instead of the usual 25 1/2" scale - it was either the HH with the non-locking trem or the HSH with the Floyd Rose.

Those 3 were replaced by one with a neck humbucker/bridge single coil with gold hardware with a pickguard (kind of a truncated version of the '69 Thinline - truncated to fit the normal Tele control plate) still with a maple top.

They also had one they called the "Tele Jr." - it had 2 P-90s and I think that one was chambered mahogany; I do know it didn't have a maple top. Those were made for the longest period of time before these went away.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

And you were expecting Tele tones out of a double set of Seymour Duncan humbuckers? :eek:

5. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I got to see the guitar ( and hear it on stage) this weekend. Made in Indonesia, VERY pretty guitar - can't tell what wood the neck was, but, it was an interesting dark-flecked grain pattern. I like the look w/the flame maple top, and am planning something similar ( but in Cherry burst fading to natural) for my chambered mahogany build, w/a coil-tapped Humbucker in the neck, and broadcaster in the bridge.

The guitar sounded good, but, as others have noted, it didn't sound like a Tele - the band was at the Wine Festival in Winchester, VA this weekend, and they were good at and having fun with what they were doing.

Thanks all for taking the time to share your knowledge and provide the links - I learned a bit in this discussion!

6. Bluespiral

Bluespiral TDPRI Member

I own a Telecaster Limited Edition Custom FMT HH that was made in 2003 in Korea. It has 2 Seymour Duncans, a Pearly Gates and a ‘59. They really didn’t know what they had and they sold it to me for $99. It has a scarf neck and does sound more like a Les Paul.

7. ruger9

I hate the neck on those, way too thin (profile) and flat (radius)for me... they feel like an Ibanez Jem! But for $99?!?!?!? Holy wow. Even if you hated it and sold it you'd come out ahead!

8. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I love that Jim Adkins tele... ;)

Fender has Fender-branded guitars made in Indonesia since 2009. In that year the IC-serial prefix on Squier guitars was changed from IC to ICS (S for Squier) and ICF (for Fender).

9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Fender FMT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lashdog, Lakeabilene and blowtorch like this.
  10. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

[​IMG]see below..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  11. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've got an FMT with a gold top finish which I think was a special run for Musician's Friend...? Very nice guitar all around.

Bought it from Danny B. Harvey who used it in HedCat, the roots rock cover band he played in with Slim Jim Phantom and Lemmy. Pretty cool!

12. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lashdog and blowtorch like this.
  13. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I have a set neck Esquire I built using a body/neck blank I got from guitar fetish buyout. It was finished in sunburst with a rosewood neck.

I never considered it could be a fender, I always assumed it was foreign made. It was very nice though, and turned out to be a great guitar.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-my-evil-esquire-partscaster.924981/

212F6EB9-115A-405A-BAC4-7DC119BA189B.jpeg FDC12BA4-DB89-4475-A813-3D4818543461.jpeg

Lashdog and bender66 like this.
  14. gtrplyrtom

gtrplyrtom NEW MEMBER!

They were a special run. I bought one but didnt really bond with it. Nice guitar for Indonesia.

15. noahl

noahl TDPRI Member

I had an old MIJ bass that was true neck-through. I had to put the lightest possible strings on it to get the relief right. That long piece of wood (from headstock to butt) really felt the torque of the strings, same as it's easier to break a long stick than a short one. So: same as a scarf joint (or almost any glued joint in wood) can be stronger than the wood itself, a scarf joint at the heel is going to stiffen up the neck. In addition to being cheaper (as someone above noted), it's going to be a tighter, livelier guitar, I think.

Bluespiral likes this.
  16. ruger9

My mom said if I can't say anything nice.... :p

17. freakengine

freakengine TDPRI Member

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They also had Korean Squiers with a carved maple top and set neck, I was looking at those at one time, didn't buy one.
    [​IMG]

Bluespiral likes this.
  19. Lakeabilene

Lakeabilene TDPRI Member

20. thunderbolt666

thunderbolt666 TDPRI Member

Check out Tele Jr. It's a custom shop model w/ twin P90s, basically a LP special in tele shape.

My buddy has one and it sounds great, although not in a traditional tele way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.