I don't need this $91 tele, right?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by littlebadboy, Oct 27, 2020.

1. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    Yeah. What was that?

2. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

At $91 for a playable guitar, some corners have to be cut somewhere, but we all know this.

The fact that these guitars come out better than imaginable, makes me worry that the corners cut might be in the human rights dept. at the factory... Because let’s be real, this is cheap even by “made in China” standards...

Ethics aside, this guitar looks very fun. Would be a very interesting mod platform.

4. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

I read in a review the name salami for this pickguard color...that is a good one.

velorex

Alamo likes this.
  5. mteetank

mteetank TDPRI Member

Hi All, Sharp looking guitar if you like that sort of thing :>)
    I purchased a Harley Benton Les Paul with the roswell pickups last year. Beautiful instrument. That was at a time when HB had a flat rate of $35 shipping for up to 3 guitars from Germany to Minnesota, USA. WHAT!!!! Now each guitar is about $33 shipping which makes it a much harder decision for me. I personally have been drooling over their clone of the Fender Cabronita. For the price, HB is a solid well made Chinese guitar in the same level as Fender Chinese made guitars, and in some cases made in the same factory. It goes without saying, Asian made guitars are in most cases quite good. In the case of HB, they inspect each guitar and then Make it a "B-Stock" if it has flaws. Face it, in the end, if you like it, and it looks great to you, its a great price on a well made guitar that can be upgraded to your level of tone and play-ability. As for the Roswell humbuckers, they are decent but at that price point, would call Thomann to see if they are ceramic or alnico. Side note, I being a single coil fan, I bought the HB Les Paul and dropped in a set of P90/94 which was my plan all along. Bottom Line, HB is a good company if if you have any problems will work with you to make it right. $91 plus shipping put you in about the same price as a Squire but with a looooook that you can only get with the HB. If you plan on keeping it, Do it! If you don't like, sell it and hope you break even! Enjoy the hunt!

PapaBeef likes this.
  6. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Need is a fluid concept at best...

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

So close and yet a Tier apart I believe?

8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Bit late but me too........cheers!

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Found the Fazely FTL218NT on the Bax UK website. (bax-shop.co.uk.) More traditional Tele for £71. Dealt with Bax for other kit and always been fine. We have, perhaps, genuinely never had it so good.

10. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

where are you then ?

11. SLICKFASTER

SLICKFASTER TDPRI Member

Probably not... but at that price it’s worth the risk.. worst case you can always gift it to a young budding player @ Christmas!!!
    **** , get two!!

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Harlow, Tier 2. It’s complicated but thought you were Tier 3?

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been through many phases of need in guitar gear and at this point it's space and time I have less of, where guitars are plentiful.

I am getting a new neck or two for specific playability needs that will enhance my ability to phrase within bends, which is an essential part of how I personally play music.
    Also bought a Beat Buddy to help with the no band mates thing, and hold down the time when I move around it in space, another favorite means of expression.

Better recording setup, and a looper with midi would also be good.
    I have a looper without midi but midi would keep drums and backing guitar sync'ed.

No new guitar can do those things, at any price.

Biggest is the space and time thing that a new guitar actually steals away from me!
    The internet is a great toolof retailthat drives us to crave MORE stuff and keeps us spending our TIME shopping.
    Time vs money?
    Which has most value?

YMMV!

14. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

$91 is a deal. $160 with shipping not as much. I'd qualify that as "if it doesn't need any parts to make it play nicely" then even $160 is good.

If they will ship three guitars for that price, what you really need is two friends near by who also want one so you all get out for under $120 each. Or just buy three, keep the best one, and sell the other two off. Should be able to craigslist them for $120 without much work.

Modding on an inexpensive guitar is fun... as long as the core is good (neck, frets good or easily corrected).

I bought an EPI SL (single coils, like a two pickup LP Junior) for $100 recently. Replaced tuners with some Grovers. Using as a mod platform to have fun with electronics. Might have $175 or so in total when done and I think I'll have a nice player. Gives me a guitar to leave out all the time and grab-n-go for 5-20 minutes of play time at any time.

15. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

IMG_20200402_160338_01.jpg IMG_20200402_160349_01.jpg So, obviously I could have gotten by without any more guitars, even if you don't consider the ones in my bedroom and the others in my shop.
    But there's those times when you come across something that's such a great deal that you'd be an idiot NOT to buy it.
    I recently started feeling the need for a bass for some reason. And a Harley Benton was available on Reverb for a nice price. I grabbed it and was very impressed.
    A couple of weeks later I started feeling the need for an SG to get my Zappa on.
    I checked out the Thomann site and found a nice SG style guitar in the B stock listing for a ridiculously good price.
    The shipping wasn't too bad. I don't remember exactly how much. But I think I paid $179. total.
    And it was shipped from Germany to NJ in 2 days.
    The guitar is beautiful. Roswell pickups are not bad at all.
    It's solid. It has Grover tuners that are very smooth and stable.
    I can't speak to the quality of the Tele. But I'm 2 for 2 in my own experience with HB guitars.

16. fenderfanuk

fenderfanuk TDPRI Member

In the UK Thomann (Germany) are offering for £89 inc VAT (sales tax), delivery is £8 so on exchange rate we are paying more but shipping is far more reasonable, not sure if your $91 is subject to your local taxes.
    What I really would like to hear on this topic is from anyone who has actually got one, I love the look but would I use it? Need some indication of where it sits, I don't play metal or shred guitar but love the punch of humbuckers when called upon

17. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Are you guys even allowed to talk about that on here?!? Pffffft!

As you were.....

18. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Probably not but we are 2 meters apart and I’m wearing a mask as I type!

19. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have never played metal. Probably never will. I didn't think that I would ever play a Tele, but I do. It took me a while to find one that I liked, then loved.
    That guitar isn't for me and that's just fine, I think, but I still think that it's cool as all get out and from my perspective, beats a bargain John 5.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.