I don't miss tube amps...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by tlsmack, Jul 15, 2019.

1. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

until I play one. Very happy with my Katana 50, suits my purposes well. It is reliable, versatile, and sounds great at any volume. But I plugged-in to a Rivera era Twin and remembered why tubes are magic. Even a small tube amp is too loud for my apartment. The whole tube vs solid state debate for me comes down to:
    "Can you turn the Master past 4?" If so, go tube. If not, solid state has come a long way.

In my experience, a tube amp turned down with a pedal for dirt is a serious misallocation of resources.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don’t miss them, period.
    I like tube amps, but I don’t own one, anymore.
    I did a gig Saturday with a backline BF Twin reissue.
    It sounded great, but I would have preferred to use my Cube, Blues Cube or Katana.
    The new, non-tube amps are versatile, dependable and cheap.
    Kinda like me.;)

Vespa_One, beagle, NewKid and 12 others like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Try a Fender Greta 2 watt with upgraded tubes and a $10 4" speaker upgrade and you will get that magical tube amp at apartment levels. Throw in a reverb pedal ... a keeper for life. Plug into a 10" cab and you will never trust your brain again.

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I went to a jam with some friends last night, and in the name of 'grab and go,' I left the tube amp at home and took the Mustang III with the new Mooer.

I had a devil of a time getting anything happening, because everything I've programmed into the Mooer so far is set up for using the tube amp. Tones were weird, nothing felt right.

I'm getting spoiled, I think. I also need to do some programming that will work with the Mustang for future situations.

- D

5. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

For home use I play the VOX MV50 with pedals and a 10" speaker cabinet. But for rehearsal and gigs I´m so glad to use my tweed super with pedals for dirt and a ppimv. It´s not really loud but it can be when needed and sounds so much better than the solid state solution.

puddin likes this.
  6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Ya, me, too...

Just thinking about lugging a big, boxy tube amp up and down stairs, and in and out of my truck gets me tired! :confused:
    The juice just ain't worth the squeeze anymore, for me.

I much prefer my Tele in one hand and my 35RT or BCH in the other! ;)

JayFreddy and brookdalebill like this.
  7. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Ya, I don't miss 'em, either...

Just thinking about lugging a big, boxy tube amp up and down stairs, and in and out of my truck gets me tired! :confused:
    The juice just ain't worth the squeeze anymore, for me.

I much prefer my Tele in one hand and my 35RT or BCH in the other! ;)

JayFreddy likes this.
  8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Lived in a townhouse for a little over a year, that's when I got my Bugera. 5w with 2 lower settings, the college kids on one side never complained (better not have, as often as they took our parking spots and have movie volume up past my kids' bedtimes)and the lady on the other side never complained either. Only ran it at 5w cranked during daytime, kept it at half watt late at night, 1w if I wanted cleans early evening. Reverb isn't what my Fender did, but it wasn't as bad as some onboard digital.

Small amps like that aren't super wide range in the sounds you get, but they are dynamic and tube.
    I'm glad SS isn't like it used to be, because my dads 65w ss Crate gave me headaches if I tried to play through it, it was as soulless and non-dynamic as it gets, akin to dreams where you cant control your own arms, I was experiencing discomfort from not being able to control my sound with how hard I played. I'm glad that Roland Blues cubes sound like they do, its what SS had been missing since I started playing. Katanas are nice. To the point of making all but like 10 other amps obsolete.
    But I can't do SS. Even if the 2 I mentioned are more consistent than some hybrid stuff, I cant do it.

Now, having bought a house (with windows being the best 1938 had to offer...) I can run my Blues King reasonably whenever, but since I don't want my neighbors to hate me, I still can't run the Fender 75 at full power. (Well... I couldn't really do that gigging in medium size rooms either....)

But tube amps need a certain amount of oomph to sound right, for sure.

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

We have this same debate twice a month. This may be an odd opinion for a gear forum but to me it shouldn’t matter. I have four electrics and have heard all the debating points about why I should have four different ones or four more. I have a tube amp that does everything I could ask of it from a comfortable indoor volume to blow the windows out loud. Do I really need a SS amp too? The key, to me at least, isn’t the gear as much as how well the player uses it. I could probably figure out how to make a solid state amp work for me like I figured out how to get the most from my tube amp. Sometimes I think I’d like a PRS, but there’s nothing I play that I don’t think one or more of my guitars is just about perfect for. Play more and argue less is how I look at it.

10. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Tube amps? What are tube amps?

[​IMG]

DHart, JayFreddy and tlsmack like this.
  11. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I hated the Katana. The Roland cube is superior to me. All the EQing and tweaking the programs still sounded fake to me. The Roland cube on a clean setting a couple pedals or none at all was better for cutting through live. Sounded more authentic.

Of course I'll take tube amps any day.

Evil Funk and FenderGuy53 like this.
  12. Cerb

Cerb TDPRI Member

I've tried a number of small tube amps, SS amps and modeling amps.

I joined a band a couple of months ago and up until now I've played through a 9W Fender Ramparte tube amp with "upgraded" speaker but even the 9 watts are too loud for the small rehearsal space, none of us like ringing ears. While the 9 watts are too loud for rehearsals I suspect it won't be loud enough for gigs without miking it so I just last week got a Quilter Overdrive 200. I'm super impressed with tge Quilter and I doubt I'll ever get a tube amp for gigging/rehearsals again.

Jimmy Dean likes this.
  13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Still getting used to my Katana 50. It's good having the onboard effects.
    I do miss my tube amp though. It's a 65 Silvertone 1482 amp with Tremolo. It's awaiting a recap job that I'll do sometime this year. I'm never getting rid of it.

FrontPU likes this.
  14. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Is the Mooer being used as a modeler? If so, you might want to consider plugging into the effects return on the M3. You will also want to set the effect return settings to "Looper" which will place it after amp and cab modeling on your Mustang. Only the power amp section will be used, and your master volume on the Mustang will be the only knob that affects your sound. If you do it any other way, you will be getting double modeling applied, which will never sound right.

Cerb likes this.
  15. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yes, I run into the FX return. The problem I was having was that the patches I programmed were for an entirely different amp and cabinet - a tube head and a ported single 12" cabinet.

With the Mustang's open back cabinet, the patches sounded way brighter than through my 'real' amp. Before I got the GE-300, I used the GE-200 the same way. The difference being I programmed the 200 patches for the Mustang III.

I'll get it sorted, thanks.

- D

16. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

A tube amp is like a great pet dog. You never know exactly where the dog will go or what it will do. But its almost always fun to play with even if you have to scoop poop every once in awhile. A non tube amp is like a robot dog. Fun for awhile but after a short time im ready to put it back in a box and store until my real dog is run away. Then i get my real dog back and astro goes back in storage.

Evil Funk, srolfeca, JL_LI and 8 others like this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Contrary to frequent claims on the internet, tube amps have come a long way as well.

Rivera era Fender amps are pretty much stone age compared to today.
    I'd say tube amps have improved more than digital if you compare something like the line 6 pod to a Kemper, then compare your Rivera Twin example to maybe a MESA 5:25 or an Orange OR15/ Rocker 15.
    By your barometer of can it sound great at any volume.
    Of course there weren't modelers in the Rivera Fender era (just used your example), and if we make the improvement comparison really fair I suppose we should compare the first modeling amps to the first tube amps.

But those modern tube amps I mentioned and others can do full band live or do apartment level dirt really well.
    Fairly small and light weight too, in terms of any ambulatory guitar player can carry them.
    For living downtown and taking the subway to uptown gigs maybe tubes are out.

As far as pedal dirt goes, YMMV!
    Seems like pedals that attempt to simulate cranked tube amps will never nail it.
    I like Muff variants, Tone Bender variants, and sicko fuzz variants for pedal dirt.

Evil Funk, bftfender and JL_LI like this.
  18. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Scooping poop out of an amp? Uh... "Item was not in the condition the seller described. Buyer requests a full refund and a bottle of hand sanitizer."

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  19. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

The new Solid State amps are amazing, but my favorite SS amps I use at gigs are from the 70s, go figure. Peavey and Polytone rule my SS dept., even though I'd usually pick an old Fender or Gibson tube amp.. Depends on the gig. Main problem w new SS amps is they always sound to me like a "recording" of an amp ... like if I dig in, it feels disconnected, distant. When I dig in to my Polytones, they growl a little, and in a way I find more musically pleasing than the digital amps, and yeah, I try them when they come out. I've played through digital amps at gigs when another player had one laying around. Most of the pros I know keep one nearby as a backup, like a Quilter or something in case the Tweed amp goes snits-up.

20. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I recently sold a Champion 600 and I don't miss it one bit. I'm thinking eventually I might end up with either a Tweed Deluxe or another Pro Jr. though... I kinda miss the Pro Jr. I used to have even though it was a bit noisy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.