I don't like les pauls, but...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bottlenecker, Jul 16, 2018.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Los Lobos are all great musicians with wide ranging and eclectic tastes. I see them as a single coil band, but I've got zero doubt they can make anything sound good.

Personally I've never liked les pauls, but clearly lots of people make them work

Although I have to laugh that all the examples of cool people playing guitars appear to come from 30-40 years ago. Times change, folks.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    bottlenecker likes this.
  2. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

Altho this is not an Elliot Easton thread, I feel like he's somehow gonna show up.

oh! there he is now!

[​IMG]

and hey - it's Jimmy! Jimmehh!! wait, that LP is all upsydaisy... iamz confuzified..?

[​IMG]

And to keep it back on topic - much love and respect for Cesar Rosas, un hombre humilde y maravilloso:
    [​IMG]

note - Three lefts make a right, right? unless one of those lefts is actually a right.
    ok moving along now...

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

At least two of these guys need more fiber in their diet, especially Cesar. Jimi never was known to eat right. EE seems like he's not having any colon issues, but his back may be hurting and he's just putting on a brave face.

skunqesh and bottlenecker like this.
  4. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Ha! Most of my guitar heroes come from 70-80 years ago.

But don't forget, Cesar plays more than guitar. Bajo sexto might be the future.
    Ok, bajo quinto. Kids these days.

skunqesh likes this.
  5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Yeah I get that, I just finished writing an essay on Eddie Lang. I love Django and Charlie Christian and Jr Barnard, all of whom died well before I was born. It's just the example, of, say, the new york dolls in the 70s being advanced as an example of how les pauls are cool. Cool at the retirement home! PS I'm 59 years old.

There are so many interesting guitar variants that await adoption, like the Tres or the Quatro. I love Los Lobos for their range

bottlenecker likes this.
  6. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Holic

les paul is OK
    the only thing that sucks is bridge PAF that can be changed to P90 that doesnt sucks at all

7. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Just got ahold of a left handed LP. Feels 10x more dangerous in my hands than a Tele or a Strat, which is really disconcerting as I don't put myself in league with most hard rock LP players. Not that I can't make the others sound dangerous, but it's always in a different way. The LP has a fatness that the Fenders lack, that turns out to be a necessary ingredient for a good deal of the earliest (and now most recent) songs my band plays and which I can't get from the others.

8. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Les Paul slippers? Could get Gibson out of the financial mire?

9. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

For me....Nothing sounds as FAT as a Les Paul.....

My ‘92 Murphy painted custom shop pre-historic:

[​IMG]

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm the opposite. My ideal LP would have a neck P-90 and a bridge 'bucker (and a Bigsby). But I'd never change my Historic '56 to do that.

And I LOVE Los Lobos!

Zeonoid and bottlenecker like this.
  11. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Holic

sorry I am just always hearing it when anyone play clean on it incl. Dave Grohl or Bonamassa-.. If they dont hear it Im sorry

12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Ceasar really rocked it at Crossroads 2010, when Gregg Allman got the call for his liver transplant and couldn't make it so Los Lobos sat in with members of Tedeschi-Trucks and the Allman Brothers. That was classy.
    [​IMG]

Bob

skunqesh, bottlenecker and HWTele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.