I don't like Fender Blackface Amps!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 2HBStrat, Jan 16, 2020.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

My super reverb with 3 CTS alnicos and a CTS ceramic is a punchy mofo. It isn't that SRV sort of sound for sure. But lovely nonetheless.

Buckaroo likes this.
  2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

@Rumblur "Most people these days do not like blackface amps"- LOL where did that stat come from? I heard someone say one time that 99% of all statistics are made up in the spot.

To "Most People" out there, please by all means rid yourselves of these fallacies called BF amps. Show the rest of the world, make a statement, and get rid of 'em. Especially all those BF Deluxe Reverb and Princeton Reverbs. A few million of us, the minority of course, will gladly pay deflated, prices for these over-hyped inflated amps. Start a thread here and lets get 'em moving. ASAP. Most people, line up with your BF amps, and price 'em to move.

BobbyZ, Tommyd55 and Apache Snow like this.
  3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

BLACKFACE...........the Holy Grail of Clean Tone. Many boutique amp manufacture's are trying to assimilate that tone. "Who doesn't like Fender Blackface clean tone?"

Apache Snow likes this.
  4. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I’ve played with guys who use Marshalls that clog up the mix with nothing but annoying midrange. I’ve also played with guys that have Marshalls that sound great in a band mix with my blackface amps. There are many variables with all amps that can make or break a good band mix.

BobbyZ likes this.
  5. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

That's the whole point, and or problem.... TGP and other internet forums have been grossly over inflated with peer pressure on these amps. You can't be seen as cool with out one, particular the student models (DR/PR/Champ). So it's my hope that people will go back to reality and thinking for themselves.... buying Marshalls, Line 6, etc. Something more in line with their actual needs and taste.

But then again, they sell a lot of Camaros and Nikes because of the same problem, so I doubt the problem will go away any time soon.

6. bieworm

bieworm TDPRI Member

I love the sound of any BF fender when played by others . when I play them myself I just can 't seem to like them. It's like the sound disappears into the sound of the band without distinct ..
    When I play my VK or CVR it's all there...pronounced and clear. And the BF don't roar like tweeds or brownies.
    Perfect for cleans and if you are the only guitarplayer in the band

7. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

After having used them for 40 years, I am really sick of trying to coax anything other than Buck Owens out of BF amps. Early 70s Ampegs and tweeds for me, thanks very much.

8. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

My blackface does this sort of clean sound when not pushed and a range of other sounds when pushed more:

Love the thing to pieces. And I'm really just getting to know it.

9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

My first real amp was a SFTR, had it for years. When I got it I was starting to play and really didn't know a whole lot about amps, guitars and how they really interact. As I came to realize Fender amps in that vein really aren't for me. Too pristine clean, too thin sounding for me. I don't see another Fender in my future. Especially after Bassbreaker experiment.

I'm much happier with my Blackstar and Hughes & Kettner amps

10. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

As mileage varies,
    I love pristine cleans. The cleaner the better.
    Fender gets me there
    I can always add gain pedals to get a vox, Marshall, Dumble or just about any other sound on the planet with all the tech today.

11. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

I should clarify that I mostly play Deluxe Reverb amps. So I clip the bright cap since there is no switch. Having said that, whenever I get inside the chassis of my larger black face amps I take out that cap anyway...so I don't have to be concerned about whether the bright switch is on or off. I just don't like | don't use that added thin treble. If I sell the amp I put the cap back in.

To my ear, the bright circuit engaged adds not only treble but also a "thin" element to the upper frequencies. Some refer to this bright sonic characteristic as "Presence". Some amp historians cite the addition of Bright switches evolving as amps that had Presence control knobs declined.

I just prefer having treble that does not "thin out" too much. To me, the bright cap thins out treble...to the point that even when it is switched off it sounds like it is not completely gone. Maybe just my hearing but that is my rationale for clipping it.

Buck

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    BobbyZ likes this.
  12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Have you guys ever noticed that older players often have their rigs set up to have seriously piercing treble? Albert Collins and Johnny Winter are two
    performers that come to mind. The highs are the first to go in hearing loss so I suspect they have to crank up the treble that much to make it sound
    good to their damaged ears. The point here is that our personal perception of how an amp sounds is likely significantly affected by the state of our
    hearing, given how many of us are old enough to have significant hearing loss at this point. My best friend who toured and played in front of
    Marshall stacks for years has had hearing loss but also increased
    sensitivity, probably caused by tinnitus. At this point he has to always use earplugs and/or in-ear monitors because any kind of loud sound gives him
    instant headaches and ear fatigue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.